SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remuda1

That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!

remuda1
17 years ago

I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on this Forum lately, so I thought maybe we could share a little bit of information about ourselves in order to get to know eachother a little better. Are ya'll game?

Here goes :). I've lived in Granbury with my husband (about 50 miles south and a little bit west of Fort Worth) for about 8 or 9 years. Am ashamed to say that I have only started seriously doing any gardening/landscaping on the property in the last couple of years. Time and energy really didn't afford the opportunity until then. Prior to moving here, I lived in west FW or the Saginaw area since 1969. This is my first experience living on acreage rather than in a subdivision and the difference in the soils is truly amazing :). Out here I have learned that it is MUCH easier and more successful working WITH mother nature. Natives and adapteds are the way to go for me. I have a lot of work to do this year...I love a cottagy garden look and right now, I have more of a desert look :)...

I have no human children :). However, the dog, cat, bird and the seven horses are like kids to me. We're on 20 acres so everyone has a lot of room to run around and play. I have really come to treasure the privacy and being able to actually live in the "midst" of nature in a fairly untouched setting.

The End ;)

Kristi

Comments (185)

• kateyes
    16 years ago

Hello! My name is Kat, and I've lived in Baytown my entire life - 50 years this year!! Yippee!!
    I LOVE to garden; my DH has to drag me in at dark!! LOL

Blessings to all! Happy gardening!

• topkicker
    16 years ago

Bev...that sounds great...I am always game! We almost bought a place in Granbury...I loved the area....

• Related Discussions

Time for a New Roll Call

Q

Comments (84)
    Hi, I'm Judy ...I'm new to Gardenweb, found it researching plants a few weeks ago and on another thread saw a comment about GJ site.Came here and have been addicted since.My poor BF is afraid to hear me say the words "Honey come here & look" right now!! lol I've been a crafter most of my life.I've tried all kinds. I love to paint any & everything.If you sit still long enough I'll paint you too. Also have always loved making stuff out of stuff and I am in heaven around you folks.Your projects and ideas, so MUCH talent & creativity.I have a shed full of "stuff" & crafting supplies I need to get motivated to use and you guys sure do motivate me.BF will be so happy as he asks me all the time what am I gonna do w/all the stuff! I got into gardening about 25 years ago, took the MG class about 17 years ago so I could talk to people about plants w/o their eyes glazing over! I didn't know a whole lot when I took the class and am still learning every day.I'm lucky to live near Park Seed & Wayside Gardens here in Greenwood,S.C.During the Festival of Flowers week here they have a fabulous plant & bulb sale with incredible bargains and free seminars all the time. I live w/my BF of five years on his 1 acre near on Lake Greenwood.When we met he had one sad little bed in the front.The land is hard clay so we're building beds one at a time and do alot of containers.He's jumped right in with gardening and loves to be the one to dig the holes and planting when I show him where I want it.Hes built me raised beds and cedar fences & trellis'I had no Idea he was so talented when we met.We're a good match together, Im lucky to have him in my life. I was raised an AF brat and moved all over til my dad retired here in '72 when I was 17.My nickname Jitterbug came from him cos I used to try to dance when I was little like him & momma did.I've moved to boston & georgia & florida as an adult, but always came back here. I love the area, the people and the climate, except August when it gets so hot & muggy you cant breath sometimes lol. I worked at a local hospital for years in the records dept., moved to the Genetic Center to the fetal pathology Dept for a year and decided fetal autopsies were not my cup of tea. Opened a catering business and am now Service & Banquet Manager at a local hotel. We have a 9 month old kitty, Monkeygirl who showed up here and we adopted her.We lost her 14 year old brother Mok Mok a few months after she came to live with us. Until her, he never let another cat anywhere near us, but took right to her, We think he knew he didnt have long and knew we need another baby to spoil rotten. I have enjoyed reading about all of you and am looking forward to coming back and seeing all your wonderful projects. I have no idea how to start a site or upload pics to show off some of our stuff, but am going to see soom if i can find some help. Nice to meet all of you...... Judy
    ...See More

Roll Call! Share about Yourself

Q

Comments (70)
    Hi, I recently joined Garden Web, although years ago I joined in the gardening section. But, went back to work, long hours, long travel and just to many hours away from home to enjoy the beauty around us. I recently became unemployed due to General Motors (worked for a company associated with GM) and my husband has moved to MI to continue working for GM. Now I am back and forth between MI and TN since we are not giving up our home here that we plan on retiring at. So this year has been a struggle on knowing which direction to follow. I have extra time on my hands and I find recycling junk very interesting. I live in southwest TN and love it here. Although the weather has been far too hot to enjoy. I know it has been like this everywhere. So now that the weather is cooling off I should have more time outside to start and finish things I am in the middle of, due to getting involved with junk. :) I googled glass totems and found this site. My mother n law had made a couple and I fell in love. I have since made some and really got into making plate flowers. I also have copied many of the things posted here and hope to try them all in time. I plan on selling some garden junk items at the yearly OctoberFest in my local area next month. Just getting started and not really wanting to get rid of anything I have made yet. So not sure what all I will be selling. My birthday is coming up soon and I will be 57. Too young to retire and too old to look for another job. I want to be able to travel back and forth to MI to see my hubby so I need something flexible. So I am thinking of getting into re-purposing junk. Hubby will be home for the weekend and I might go to MI next week. I haven't been able to show him the mess I made of the barn with all of our junk we had and the stuff I have been buying at TS,GW and antique places. I have an area to work once it isn't 100 degrees and love it. I would love to go see Shabby Joes display at an art fair in Marshall, MI not far from my hubby. Well, this is it for me. I am excited and have things to finish before DH gets home late tonight. Thank you all for the ideas here and the support you give each other. Suzq
    ...See More

roll call: pond pool party!!!

Q

Comments (76)
    *"My god, is that snow?" (Doing my best impression of PondmaninFL): Is that what that was??? I had no idea!!! Amazingly, that's only 17 miles from Semperville and we didn't see any snow here last week (just some ice). Of course, I thought it was rough out there yesterday until I saw somebody had posted from my mountain bike club from their ride just north of here on Saturday. ___________________________________________________________________ ADEMINKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! My hats off to you for your dedication to a great cause. But I just gotta ask.... who's your friend in that picture in the lower/right corner of ?!?!?!?! 8-))) __________________________________________________________________ Bonz wrote: "I'm sure we'll hear about how the weather was a factor. " I can't imagine! I found it ironic that the Colts, a dome team, managed the crappy weather better than the Bears who play in MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse weather throughout the season. Go figure! ___________________________________________________________________ Brandy I gotta agree with you.... that guy's left foot WAS out of bounds. Not on the initial catch.... but as he intercepted the ball he then slid his left toes back which appeared to touch the sideline. Inconclusive evidence, I guess. _________________________________________________________________ Chickadeedeedee, you found my one and only soft spot. Maybe it's just me but I can't think of a better way to spend that winning than the USO! :-))) I'll up the ante to $50 on behalf of Camp Nappy Resort & Entertainment Center and Birdie B&B. God bless.
    ...See More

Far North Gardeners Roll Call 2

Q

Comments (3)
    Weeper, there is a #2 already started ;) Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardeners Roll Call 2
    ...See More
  • mommyfox
    16 years ago

Hi! I'm Julie in south Arlington, in DFW. I'm pretty new to gardening, but I'm learning fast! We've lived in our current house for a year and a half, and I've become deeply obsessed with the garden. I love swapping and gabbing. This is such a great place to get answers to specific questions - and every once in awhile I can actually contribute back!

About me - I'm a writer and a stay-at-home mom with my two year old son. I have a BA in art and religion, and I have a ton of animals - a dog, two cats, three corn snakes and a 90 gallon cichlid tank. I like to draw and paint, and have delusions of competence in regards to quilting. Not that I get to do much of any of that stuff, what with the toddler in tow. I've been married three years to a great husband who is pleased that the garden is lovely without him doing anything, and his clothes reappear clean in the closet a couple of times a week. It's magic. (Of course, my checking account also magically has money in it, so I can't complain.)

I'm looking forward to the fall swap!
    -Julie

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey!!!!
    I'm Chena... I don't post much but I read alot now and again..LOL I have loads of wonderful friends here I have known for some time and I am very thankful for them.. I live out in Millsap that is about 15 mi W of Weatherford... My DH and I have 65 acres 3 dogs 1 cat and 30 something cows...I was grounded for a couple of yrs.. so I am up to my eye balls in just catch-in-up..LOL We grow most of our own produce and I love Tropicals. Kind of crazy for where I live but... It works for me...Passi's, Brugs, Aroids and Bananas.. I can't get enough...I am a total junker!!! I am convinced if someone throws it out I can do something with it..LOL.. Works out sometimes anyway...It is very nice to meet all of ya'll
    Chena

• battygardnr
    16 years ago

Hi
    I'm Jacqui. I moved to the Austin/Round Rock Area almost 5 years ago from California. I love the area but I am just now getting going with gardening. I have biology and zoology degrees but previously viewed plants as animal food. But I always wanted homegrown tomatoes. I have tried them in containers here with no luck so this year I planted a garden. I went off half cocked but its doing pretty well, considering.

I bought a composter a couple months ago. I'm really into that and its full already. I'm waiting for DH to build me a raised bed so I can dump it all into that and fill it again.

What else? I homeschool my 2 older daughters and I have a baby girl too. I have a boxer and a small parrot (sun conure).

My gardening dream is to have an edible or at least medicinal backyard. So far I have a good start on it but I keep whim-buying. I don't think the Texas Mountain Laurel counts as edible or medicinal but I love purple...

I have been lurking at gardenweb for months but I couldn't get my account started until today when I tried an alternate email addy.

• foosacub
    16 years ago

I'm Tiffany, moved to Austin area late last year. My gardening is limited to a few pots/planters and a tiny garden bed just off the front porch. I'm in a lease right now, though - so I doubt I'll be doing any serious renovating.

Right now, I'm still very much a novice. Trying to figure out my glads, dwarf snapdragons, daylilies, pink jasmine, rosemary, sage, lemon thyme, esperanza, and hibiscus. The mint is a no-brainer that I planted deliberately where I could see it every morning as a pick-me-up. The idea is that if I have one plant left, I won't feel like a total failure! LOL

I'm trying to bring most of everything back to life right now, aside from the mint. We were out of town for three weeks dealing with funeral stuff and the hibiscus and esperanza really fried. :(

My garden is at the mercy of the neighborhood brats. I have given up staking my glads - every time I put a rod back out there, it's gone the next day. Sword-fighting, I suspect.

Aside from that, I've come a long way already and learned a ton of stuff from you guys. Indepensible source of information we've got here. Thanks for all your help so far, and all the help I'll need in the future! :)

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Hi! Moved back to Texas 2 years ago but this is year one for our raised flower beds (we are on limestone outcrop, the entire yard!) We had to do some backyard leveling for a patio which gave me the raised beds, after removing the rocks which went into a path. Funny how everything will fit in place for a gardener! Lived in Houston and did work in an up-scale nursery so I at least know something about what will grow here----garden will still look pretty weedy in August, I imagine, since I like the country garden look in the springtime. Love the way I am getting cantalopes from my compost (a must here)--really! Am truely trying for azealeas and they did last through the winter and bloomed well this spring, they are planted in almost pure pine bark and sand with coffee grounds thrown in. Have sun room for roses and those are doing so well even with the rain. We are building pergolas for shade rather than planting alot of trees, they flank a large alum screen porch which we were going to stupidly tear down! We love it for sleeping in the cool weather. We are semi-retired and have a really wierd Springer Spaniel who is so timid he wizzes everytime he is petted. It is a known syndrome and hopefully he will outgrow it. He has the porch now as he is NOT allowed in the house, and is tearing things up (another syndrome-separation anxiety) but so far ignores the flower beds, except for one, only one rose bush from which he nabs any flower that blooms! think it is pink blush. Rest of the family is here and there, scattered from coast to coast. 3 girls from me, 3 guys from my husband and 5 grandkids, so far. We ride motorcycles and love this beautiful countryside. Glad I found this list!

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

I live in San Antonio.

I read and post sporadically.

I'm married have three kids and a very bad back.

I'm from Wisconsin and I hate the heat. My dad was also in the Air Force, so I also lived other places, such as Japan.

I love to garden in the winter, when no one else is gardening. Everyone thinks I'm nuts. Especially my Mother in Law, who thinks "cold weather" is anything less than 80 degrees.

I got the name Prickly Pear because about 10 years ago, DH and I planted a xeriscape bed. I think he was in charge of watering. Prickly Pear was the only thing that survived. LOL.

Currently, I do the irrigation and installed a drip irrigation system.

I love trees and my wish is to have a completely shaded yard, but that won't happen because I live on a corner.

I love shade and shade gardening, but end up working much more on my sunny areas.

In my sunny areas are salvia greggii's, lantana, rosemary, vitex...

In my shady area, which is about 3/4 of my front yard, just about anything seems to grow and bloom. (Except tomatos)

• vjcamp
    16 years ago

I was born and raised in New Orleans. ( never really wanted to be from somewhere else.)
    Was away for four years with the ARMY. Got Married and settled in Kenner, La. ( where Louis Armstrong Int'l Airport is formerly Moisant ) if you took off or landed going north south you flew oer my house. I lived 1 mile from Lake Ponchatrain.
    After Active Duty I was in the Army Reserve and most of my time was spent with a unit in New Orleans that was part of 807th Medical Bde in Seagoville, Texas.
    I visited Texas several times on Reserve Business.
    As a family we visited Texas several times- visiting Sis in law who lives in Arlington , vacationing ( we love the Hill Country) or running from the hurricanes. We ran for the last time August 28, 2005 from TBCK (That B**ch called Katrina). After 3 days in a Best Western we moved to some apartments in Euless, Texas, settled the kids in school, found a job and waited to see what our future held.
    Our house, in Kenner, was destroyed by a tornado-roof torn off and ceiling collasped onto everything- rain from Katrina and later Rita- not much left to salvage.
    We decided not to return and once the Insurance finally finished with us we purchased a house right here in Euless (March 2006). My wife was born in Texas and always dreamed of moving here, just wanted it to be our decision and not the way it happened. We say that we evacuated to Texas and were treated so nice, by Texans, that we decided to stay.( that will teach them (TEXANS) a lesson LOL)
    We are adjusting and are happy, but we still miss N.O.
    I have just started getting back into gardening ( I love Roses ) fro almost a year I haven't had the urge to do much of anything. Getting back to the dirt is really helping me. Today, I made some cuttings and am attempting to start some roses. I miss my garden back home especially my Roses I think I had about thirty or so.
    Anyhow, nice to meet all of you. I am trying to get used to weather patterns here- back in N.O. dark clouds MEAN rain. I was depending on David Finfrock this weekend- earlier in the week forecast was for rain Fri, Sat and Sunday so I put off watering- I WILL water tommorrow- that will bring the rain. If you see a little light blue Suzuki Samurai driving around the HEB area that is probably me.

Venon

• texasjoe
    16 years ago

Hello,

texasjoe from Tyler - new to the forum
    Just recently got interested in gardening.
    So please over look the dumb questions to come

• spishack01
    16 years ago

Hi, my name is Mike.
    I have been reading this forum for over a year or so and have really enjoyed it. I have owned my home for only a year now and have just gotten started in my growing. Before, when I lived in an apartment, I grew in 8 gallon buckets. I get them free at work and they were great for vegetables since they are so big.
    Now that I have a home I have began to grow flowers and many other plants and shrubs as well; this is very addictive!
    My wife Ashley loves the landscaping improvements and fresh vegetables but just doesn't enjoy the work like I do. She does love to dote on me about the flower garden and vegetables and that is worth far more than I can express.
    We have 2 Boston Terriers, Basil and Tank that are simply awesome. Basil is an excellant frisbee catcher (and extremely highstrung)and Tank is as loving as a little kitten. He is a total ham.
    I have really enjoyed the help I have found here and am looking forward to many more years of learning from ya'll.

Mike and Ashley

• violet_kelly
    16 years ago

Hi my name is Kelly and my husband and I live in College Station. We just moved to a new rental (much bigger than our starter one bedroom). I have back porch to put container plants on, as well as blank canvas of a bed in the front. The only problem with the front is that its very shady and the soil is as hard as rock...I'm a bit discouraged by that. But with all the wonderful and helpful people on this forum, I'm sure I can come up with a beautiful solution. :)
    I'm currently trying to finish up my master's in plant pathology. lol...but don't get your hopes up, the only thing I'm useful for is to run lab tests. Unfortunately, diagnostics wasn't as an important subject in my classes as I had thought it should be. Oh well, I guess I will be self taught. ;)
    I'm fairly new to gardening, although I have been around plants my whole life. I have lots of indoor plants, but I'm just now expanding to outdoor plants. My husband is wonderful to indulge my plant obsession...he bought me 4 plants this weekend! (giddy as a school girl!) My new babies are 'Maid of Orleans' jasmine, Texas Gold lantana (although I do want the other TX variety..multicolored isn't it?), Dutchman's Pipe vine, and a Christata Leopard plant.
    My other babies that aren't plants are our Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Bindi, and our cat Sydney.
    Thanks for everyone's help! This forum is great!
    Kelly

• Gardener972
    16 years ago

Cheryl here, live in north Dallas now, raised in small town Kansas. Married, one child going off to Texas Tech in the fall. Love to garden, cook foreign food, listen to new music, travel, shop thrift stores.

• dfwsusan
    16 years ago

Venon,
    I'm originally from the N.O. area as well. My mom and sis had to deal with TBCK as well. But they really managed ok.
    My mom is also on the site - I forgot her user name here.

Anyway, welcome to the site.

And I've said the same thing about the weather... back home if we saw clouds, we knew rain was definite. lol

• vjcamp
    16 years ago

Susan, where did you go to high school? ( standard N.O. greeting)-what area did you live in? And your Mom
    Can't believe I mistyped my own name. It is VERNON

• clairtx
    9 years ago

Shirley here, have lived in NE Tarrant County for 43 years. Born in Houston in 1934, traveled around the world for 20 years as an AF wife, settled here in Tarrant County, been here ever since. I used to love gardening and for awhile had the prettiest yard in the neighborhood. I can't garden anymore and just ignore the yard when I am coming or going somewhere. I still have the garden layout and some nice shrubs and roses, but have to hire out any planting. My husband is hopeless when it comes to gardening and I have learned not to assign any care of keeping something alive. I enjoy the comments and pictures here and love to read about what everyone is doing to beautify Texas.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

wow! Blast from the past!

Welcome Shirley!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Yeah, it was! Where are all those people now? Although I've been a GW member from 2001 in '07 I was spending most of my time on the rose forums.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

WOW , I am amazed at all these names and I thought it was just a sleepy little forum we had going here. Please, Y'all speak up more and join in on the squabble here. I bet every single one of you has something to add or to ask.

I am Mara, I am 30 miles west of Austin in the Hamilton pool area. I am ontop of a rock hill and have a bit of land next door to the highest point in Travis county (1400' above sea level) This year I am diversifying the wild areas of my land. I also do a lot of land restoration on it. clearing and creating a mess out there trying to trap moving sediments and stuff.

I am not a Native Texan but a restless native sort that has lived in Bankok, Sirichow, ThaILAND TO NYC, New Hampshire, houston, Philly, Andros, Molokai, Kaaawa, Haula (Oahu), austin. So I can talk a good story that often sounds o bit outLANDish.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, this post was started back way back when so I think it's time for an update. I wonder if the folks above will receive our more recent entries? If so come on back.

I was born in San Antonio, have San Antonian ancestors that go back to the 1700s (Canary Islanders) and have lived most of my life here. Wish I had been to all the places Mara has, but really enjoy hearing about them from her.

I've always loved plants and even when newly married my husband would tell our friends "Bring your bolo knife to cut your way through when you come to see us" but only fairly recently have been able to devote all the time I wanted (well -- almost) to gardening on a fairly large city lot, as city lots go. Even in the city I have contend with wild life such as deer, racoons, opossums, skunks and coyotes. Thank goodness I have no armadillos or wild hogs, just the usual compliment of insects. I was at first devoted mostly to roses, but because of the drought and chilli thrips (different from flower thrips) on the roses have recently turned my attention to less thirsty plants such as agaves, succulents, desert plants from the world over, etc. and enjoying them immensely.

Now -- your turn!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Oh those details like dates pass me by.

• James
    9 years ago

James, from Denton area. Mostly done veggies and houseplants but moving into more flowers and trees too. Born and raised in the Dallas area, lived around the world thanks to the military but eventually ended up back here.

• greatnan
    9 years ago

I'm Jan and right now we live 35 miles North of Houston. In May we hope to move into our new to us house in Liberty Hill, 37 miles NW of Austin. My addiction is tropical plants, can never have enough brugmansias, yes I'm a tropical nut

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Welcome James and Jan!

Our location has changed in the 7 years since this thread originated. We now live in Azle, just north of Fort Worth. We have 4 grandchildren!
    I still love gardening and although I'm no longer a certified Master Gardener, I did complete my classes and served in Granbury for two years prior to moving to Tarrant County.
    I work still, but get to work from home 4 days per week now so I can run out into the garden pretty much whenever I want. I am blessed with many gardening neighbors and we have impromptu coffee breaks for garden chat when we are all outside doing our thing.
    My garden focus is changing from 'I want one of everything' to 'I really love native and drought tolerant plants'! I garden mostly in the shade of big oak trees and only my favorite sun lovers get the valuable and few sunny garden areas.
    I enjoy the fall and spring Fort Worth plant swaps since I finally don't have to work weekends!

• backacre
    9 years ago

Hello! My name is Carol but when I post (not often) I use "backacre". Hubby and I are native Texans but have worked out of state most of our married life (49 years). After retirement, we headed back to East Texas (Flint, outside of Tyler) and have spent the better part of 11 years "working" our gardens. He enjoys his vegetables and I can't live happily unless I am out in among my flowers and puttering around. It is harder here than South Carolina (our last home before retiring) but I am learning and now mostly doing "Texas Tough" and when I need help, I come here for advice and encouragement.

• briaustex
    9 years ago

I'm Brian and I live in NW Austin on a two acre lot. I've been mostly a lurker in the forums for the past couple of years.

I got the gardening bug from my grandfather who had a huge garden growing up. Grew up in northern Illinois and used to gorge on fresh raspberries (wish those grew well down here!) and vegetables. I've slowly been landscaping my backyard as it was just a big lawn with a few crape myrtle bushes. The yard had a few inches of top soil on caliche. I've gone the hard labor route and dug out beds to at least two feet deep and brought in good soil. It's been a slow process but I'm close to being done with the backyard. This winter I expanded a bed in the front yard near the street and planted a bunch of daffodils that are starting to bloom now! I grow a bunch of natives but also enjoy experimenting with different plants. My latest favorite has been growing papaya trees as annuals since they can grow 12+ feet in a single season and are beautiful accent plants.

I get to deal with rabbits, armadillos, and deer in the neighborhood, so it's been challenging at times as many "deer resistant" plants were anything but. Also see foxes, coyotes, and ringtail cats out back besides the usual suspects.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

It's great hearing from all of you about your gardens!

Brian, I'm happy to hear that you have 'ring tail cats' (Bassariscus astutus) It seems they are moving into town -- following the rodents no doubt. They are very timid, secretive, nocturnal and hence rarely seen, but since we had one under the deck a couple of years ago I have not seen hide nor hair of even ONE RAT!

Just please -- I'm hoping nobody shoots it because they don't know what it is.

"Ring-tail cat" ...

• briaustex
    9 years ago

The first time I saw a ringtail was in my peach tree at night (enjoying a peach or two) when I took the dog out. They are cute critters. Took me awhile to research what kind of animal it was as I had never seen one before. Fun fact: they actually bark when frightened. I have a wildlife camera out back and have captured a few pictures of them, too.

• briaustex
    9 years ago

Found a good picture of my papaya tree from two years ago:

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Fascinating! Thank you for telling us about your 'ring-tailed cat' sighting.

Beautiful photo of all the plants. Papayas are gorgeous! And I see fruit! One that came up where I had buried compost with papaya seed made large fruits, but a hard freeze killed it before they ripened.

• SALL20 (9a Houston)
    9 years ago

Hi, this is my first post. I'm newly retired and am looking forward to having more time to devote to gardening. My husband and I live in Austin now, but will be moving in just a couple of weeks to the Humble, TX area to be near our daughter and three grandchildren. I have a special passion for bulbs and have a large collection that I will be taking to the new house. We have also lived in Nacogdoches, so I am looking forward to getting back to the acid soil and more rainfall ! We have enjoyed living in Austin, but it can be a challenge for plant lovers! I really an enjoying this forum. I would welcome any information about gardening groups or events in the northeast Houston area.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Roselee and Brian, next time you have green papaya and the freeze is barreling down on you, pick the fruit , they have a delicious carroty , but better flavor. I like then when they are crisp and slightly orange but Thais do a salad out of them when they are even more unripe than that.

• intxfromoregon
    9 years ago

Heidi from Granbury TX (well, we live in Granbury, we're from Oregon). This will be my 5th season to attempt gardening in Texas. Every spring I'm excited, usually by summer heat I'm beat. It was so much easier gardening in Oregon. But I keep trying! I have peas that I started inside and put out a couple of weeks ago that will need to be covered for the next few days, as well as hosta pips coming up, etc. My new favorite TX plants are lantana and crape myrtle. My all time favorite tree is the Japanese maple and I've killed 4 since living here. Right now I have a coral bark in a pot on our shady back patio. Hubby and I have a 17 yr old son, 11 yr old daughter, 2 dogs and 3 cats. I am a homemaker/dog walker. I just found this forum and hope to take advantage of all the native Texan's gardening advice in the very near future!

• James
    9 years ago

some good choice for crapes in the metroplex. Fort Worth has a JM specialist (MetroMaples I believe) they may be able to help find which ones are texas tolerant. This will be my first year for JMs and I have them in smart pots so they are mobile and can get relief from sun come june/july.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

InTex, I would suggest Chalk Maple or Shantung maple. I have seen some Japanese maple survive on more rich backland prairie dirt in an understory situation here in Austin but I have never seen one west of town in the limestone dirt of these hills. Granbury is different, judging from pictures from where I am and you are in the Brazos river basin. I don't know how much dirt you there or if you are in Brackett soils that are prevalent southwest of you. One poster , Midlothian (name from GW), lived up your way and is "in the business" and is quite the tree expert. Keep an eye out for him or better yet , start a thread and maybe he will pop in. I have not seen him since the change over to HOUZZ. it will be a shame if we have lost him. I remember that the trialled some Shantung Maple in his midlothian yard.

• intxfromoregon
    9 years ago

I bought two nice JM's from Metro maples, the first one I just didn't water enough, thinking it would be fine with the regular sprinklers, and it got too much sun even tho on the north side of the house. The second one I think died from overwatering ;( I had a couple smaller ones in pots that didn't make it, either. If the potted coral bark I have now doesn't make it, that will be my last attempt at a JM in TX. I would like a Shantung maple, might have to take another drive to Metro Maples in a month or so. Thanks!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The directions that I have for getting trees to survive their establishment is keep them mulched without ant grass growing close and water them 10 gallons a week in a deep watering. The sprinklers won't do. they surface water and will not train your roots to go deep. If you are in very fast draining dirt., it is best to divide that watering to 2 five gallon waterings per week while it is hot. I can not recommend native trees enough. Leave Oregon behind and start to look for what you like that can take our weather. Train your eyes to find beauty in what is so different about this strange place that you now call home. Nurseries will keep selling JM's because people love the IDEA of them and keep coming back for more with hope in their eyes.

• denisew
    9 years ago

I have been guilty of not visiting this site as much as I used to. I always enjoy reading stories by the gardeners here and seeing all your photos. I took a second job almost two years ago and have been so busy, I haven't been able to visit here as often. I still do my best to keep up with my garden though. I was surprised to see this site was bought out again by another company (houzz) and had to verify my id and set a new password. I'm glad to see many of the familiar screen names still participating here and as always, giving some really good gardening advice. Welcome to all the "newbies" to this site! (although since I have been away so long, I might also be considered a newbie!)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I missed your posts Denise and glad that you found your way here!

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Hi. Kim from the panhandle here . 100 miles from everywhere in the beautiful dry desert like Caprock. I love this corner of GW and always lurk about but don't have much to add. I am new to flowers trees fruit and nut trees but my first love is veggies, or anything I can stick in a jar!

I admire flower gardens and my sister in Denton has the greenest thumb so I thought I would try and encourage more pollinators to visit my area. Wow was I shocked how much fun the flowers were. So this year I am going all out with my new place and I will be lurking around a lot more getting ideas from y'all.

Its snowing and I am thrilled to be home and getting more seeds planted.

kim

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Hi, my name is Lynn, and I'm addicted to daylilies. I don't remember how long I've been here, but it's been a while. I'm originally from NE Louisiana and have lived in Mesquite (just east of Dallas) for almost 11 years. I have two kids (23 & 14), one husband, a dog, a cat, and a very small pond. Most of my beds are for flowers, however I do have a 10X10 veggie garden where I try to grow food. I've only been to one plant swap many years ago and keep telling myself I'm going to the next one. (I want to complain that they're never close to me, but I know if I wanted to, I could organize one myself.)

It was neat to see how many people have been on GW for all these years. This site has gone through a lot of changes since I first came here.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

Hi Lynn

I too wish there was a swap closer to me. I have been trying to get my sister to go to the one by Denton but she wont go alone. I have been to one and it was the best time.

kim

• little_dani
    9 years ago

Wow! I cannot believe all you peeps are still here! I am still Janie, still live on the Coast, but don't do as much gardening as I used to do. I went and took a clay class at the college, and that was the end of me! Two wheels, 6 kilns, a slab roller, and all the other stuff that is fun to collect and use, and I spend all my time either doing pottery, or thinking about doing it. I have a full studio, and my husband has started a kiln repair business to keep him busy if he ever retires. We lost our cow dogs at the age of 17 1/2 years, and the Boxer/terrorist when she was 12. We went the rescue route and have another boxer- Chevy, the first ever male for us-, and an English Bulldog, named Clara. They are a hoot to be around, own us totally!l I was happy to see all of you, hope you will post again!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Brian, while looking for something else I came across pictures of my papaya trees. Mara, I did try your recipe using the green fruit. It was good, but I still wish I could have gotten ripe fruit.

These pictures were taken in late November.

My plants were a BIG (literally) surprise when they came up from in-place composting of papaya seeds.

Incidentally, one can post photos from Photobucket by pasting (control V) the 'direct' link in the box that comes up when clicking the photo icon.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

It's very good hearing from all of you about your gardens and other interests.

Janie, being a pot person I would love to see some of your pottery.

• ingridjill
    9 years ago

I live in the heart of Dallas, near SMU where the lots are small! I have more than I can keep up with, though. 150+ roses (antiques, austin, some great hybrid teas, etc.), 100+ day lilies, iris, perennials, herbs, and this year trying my hand at some vegetables. I love it all, especially natives and perennials...dont do many annuals.

Two sons, and a wonderful husband who all support my hobbies!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Ingridjill, you have a LOT of wonderful plants! How you get all that in a small lot is a mystery ... :-) If you take photos we'd love to see them.

• Molly0711 (TXz8a)
    9 years ago

Hi All! I've been on this site for some years, but had to change my username. I love hearing about all of you and your gardens.

I live on the Frisco/Mckinney border, transplant from Plano about 4 years ago. Brand new neighborhood with NO trees and an East facing house has made be learn very quickly how to xeriscape and that "full sun" does not reeeeeally mean "full sun."

I love my salvias, sages, rosemary, vines, lantana, succulents, lavenders & coreopsis. This is my fourth year building on my garden. I have had a lot of trial and error...many errors, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

My old transplanted roses got the Rosette disease last year, so I had to rip those out yesterday. My husband does the vegetable gardening and my dog, Molly supervises both of us. Onward and upward!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Molly, I know how you feel. I moved from an in town 100 year old house of generational gardeners and I could hold a seed above the dirt and it would make roots in my hand just smelling the dirt. I thought I was a really good gardener and then I moved out onto this Marly hill. What an education!

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm Beth. We moved to Forney about a year ago to be closer to our daughters and families. I am retired but DH is still working and travels so I have a lot of time on my hands. We bought a house with a flat acre of nothing but black clay and weeds. Last year I mainly assessed what was in the ground which as it turns out wasn't much.

There were knock out roses in beds that only got three hours of sun a day and a variety of shrubs out of shape and just hanging on from lack of water.

The beds and yard are in terrible shape and need a lot of amendments so this year will be spent getting the ground in shape to plant so this year will be one of container gardening.

I've never worked with such terrible conditions so it is a little overwhelming. The front of the house is mainly shade facing NNE. Shade is new for me. The back will be where I will have to plant all my roses. So I'm thinking hostas and some annuals in the front for now. We have a pretty strict HOA so I am limited on what I can do in the front.

I keep telling myself all in good time. Since I am starting from scratch I'd love to know more about how the swaps work and wonder if I can swap non-plant things. I have some baby roses rooting but they won't be ready for a new home for a few months yet.