SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishington

I'm getting discouraged.... but I don't want to give up yet.

wishington
16 years ago

I got my worms last fall, around Thanksgiving. I have one of those worm factory square type bins.

They just don't keep up with what I give them, and I hardly give them anything. I finally put on a second tray and they seemed to like it at first, but bit by bit they are disappearing.

I thought I'd add a third tray, after 4 months of starting, and I guess I might as well dump it all out, it stinks and not a single worm in that tray.

I layer the trays as the instructions indicated, bedding, leaves, etc. Do worms mind food that is rotting? Can I leave in rotting food, or should I remove it?

I thought the worms were multiplying because I kept seeing these tiny white worms, but I guess they are not worms after all.

Today I went through all three trays (top one not tossed out yet), and found that there are some worms alive in the bottom tray, so I guess all is not lost?

What do you recommend? I have tons of those tiny white worms that are not the worms you want in worm bins, does that indicate anything?

Oh dear. I thought this was going to be much easier than it's turning out to be. I was really thinking I'd have a tray to harvest in another month or so, and I've hardly got my worms doing anything at all.

I know, I've asked lots of questions. I'm just feeling ready to quit but I know how good the castings are.... and don't want to give up yet.

I spent 30$ on my worms, and to me that was a big investment-- that and the bin. I wanted to have a good bin, to help my confidence... which is failing fast.

Thanks a million, in advance!

Comments (5)