SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Peruvian Daffodils

17 years ago

Just received 2 Peruvian Daffodil bulbs in the mail today. Everything I have read online indicates my 7b zone/West Central Texas is too cold for this plant.

Must I grow it in pots?? Or can I plant in my Moon Garden?

Peggy

Comments (37)

• 17 years ago

Being that your in zone 7 I'd say you'd be best off planting in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: gay gardener - bulbs & tubers - hymenocallis x festalis (peruvian daffodil)

• 17 years ago

You could move...LOL! Y'know I've actually thought about that? I may have a problem....
    A big container that's the contrast color of the tulips would look so striking! All of my bulbs do well in containers but I haven't grown those.PJ

• Related Discussions

Peruvian Daffodils

Q

Comments (20)
    I did loose a few of the cultivars once, so I made raised beds within the raised beds.... little half circles of stone (which I do for some irises also) that are raised a few inches above the beds (which in rainy places get compacted and kind of sink a bit again and get very compacted in some areas). This has worked quite well for me. If we are having weather like we are now having (super cold, days on end) I layer on the pine straw thick and that keeps 'em dry, if we are going to get rain at that time, I throw large black garden pots over the bulbs and weigh 'em down with a rock over the middle hole. No water gets in there. It's not decorative and it won't work for large stands of amaryllis, but this does the trick when needed. I have some larger stands of amaryllises and I keep those under the drip line and mulch well and plant in this compost from the County which is very well draining. That seems to work ok. Yes, fussier than some stuff I bother with but SO PRETTY!
    ...See More

Peruvian Daffodil, Spider Lily, Hymenocallis festalis - Invasive?

Q

Comments (4)
    Cora, are you thinking of Crinum pedunculatum? That is a different plant - leaves grow pointed and upright. Overall it is a much "tougher"-looking plant. They are planted all over by the city at the beach. Link to images below. Peruvian daffodils are softer and more gentle-looking. They have leaves similar to an amaryllis or agapanthus. Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Crinum pedunculatum
    ...See More

Not recommending Peruvian Daffodil (Hymenocallis festalis)

Q

Comments (25)
    Lin, Hymenocallis galvestonensis sounds like it would be fun to grow, but it says below that it doesn't like alkaline soil so unfortunately that lets me out. Oh well, it would be great for those with acid or more neutral soil than I have. This was on the D garden site; "On Aug 12, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote: The controversial identification of this native plant was finally resolved in 1995 by Thad M. Howard. It is native to East Texas, Arkansas, southeastern Oklahoma, western Louisiana, and southern Georgia in sandy upland soil. After the leaves disappear in late summer or fall, it produces tall, naked scapes of white flowers in Lycoris fashion. The scapes of H.galvestonensis is round or oval in cross section. The seed is large, somewhat rounded, and pale green. The leaves are wider than other Hymenocallis species and the tips of the leaves are blunt, rather than pointed. It does not tolerate alkaline soil."
    ...See More

peruvian daffodil??

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes hymenocallis. Sulpher Queen a yellow with a lemon fragrence was one I have enjoyed. I never had any luck with the white, don't know why.
    ...See More
  • 17 years ago

pj,

Don't think moving is an option LOL

I agree a pot that contrasts nicely would be great but unfortunately I live in a small town with small Wal-Mart with no choices. How I would love to afford/find a beautiful cobalt blue pot for some of my plants (Red Spider Lilies!). But such is life.

For now the P. daffs are sitting in a terracotta pot my hubby found at one of our local antique stores for 25cents a pot (great find!).

Peggy

• 17 years ago

Peggy, I need to come shop at your local antique store ----

• 17 years ago

Carrie,

One store owner told my hubby that she had sold all her inventory of pots and galvanized tubs to a young man who was planting flowers for his girlfriend.

Unfortunately, the girl had spurned his attention and he was left with the pots and tubs...wish I knew his name! LOL Very stupid girl IMHO! LOL

Peggy

• 17 years ago

VERY stupid ---- maybe he could become our new "mulch guy".

• 17 years ago

Peggy, you can get those jewel-tone pots by making them yourself at a ceramics shop.

I made a cobalt blue strawberry jar for my ice plant, & it's beautiful.

I was so encouraged that I made a lime green pot for coleus, too!

• 17 years ago

Sounds lovely.

Some 25 or so years ago we had a guy who threw pots here in our little town, but he and his wife have moved away as so many have over the years. Plus San Angelo had artists at the Chicken Farm who were potters and gave classes but at this time in my life that is not an option. So for now I guess I will drool each time a see a gorgeous cobalt pot in Backyard Living or Southern Living, etc. We are painting our house yellow with white trim and I think the cobalt blue would be very smashing in contrast. :*)

Your green coleus pot sound very lovely, too.

Peggy

• 17 years ago

You know Peggy, last year, I bought 3 of those in a package at either Lowe's or Wal-Mart, can't remember which one for sure. I do remember that the price was $3.98. That said, I think that I would plant 'em in the garden. I'd plant 'em deep, and mulch 'em high, and just take a chance.
    Jim

• 17 years ago

Jim...I keep the Walton family rich buying mulch...one of my requests for Christmas was gift card for more mulch! That sounds doable.

Think these plants would really add to the Moon Garden I'm hoping to get planted just as soon as I feel up to the challenge. :)

Peggy

• 17 years ago

Peggy, I think the blooms will be very similar to the spider lilies you traded for, just shorter plants, with a little different way of growing.
    Jim

• 17 years ago

I always grew those outside in the bog and called them by one of the common names 'spider lilies'. The bulbs go very deep when they naturalize...oh that was in The Colony, zone 7.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 17 years ago

OK y'all - I live in Dripping Springs. I am trying to decide
    what new things I can put in a bed in front of my porch. It faces SW, gets rainwater directly from the tin roof but a hose is nearby for those long droughts we get. The things I have now that do pretty well are: Bonica Roses, An Old Blush climbing rose, daylilys, Indigo spires, cream colored lantana, mealy blue sage and some pink jasmine that grows but hasn't bloomed much since I put it in 4 years ago. I would like some advice on both taller plants for the back and smaller ones for the front. I'd really like to see some flowers out there.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

• 17 years ago

Lycoris radiata (Red Spider Lily) are quite different and are grown in our zone with little or no care. They bloom in my garden in August/September, foliage comes on after they bloom and remains through the winter to spring/early summer then dies off. The next fall up shoots the stalk with those gorgeous red blooms (some call them Nekked Ladies, Surprise Lilies, Hurricane Lilies, etc).

The Peruvian Daffs have their foliage when they bloom.

Both plants have very unusual blooms.

Peggy

• 17 years ago

If only we had the rain to produce a 'bog'. We get a couple 100's of an inch...last snow/ice/rain event of 2 or 3 days left us with 3/4 of an inch (Yeah, Nekked Turle Dance!) in our rain gauge.

Our water rates are very high so a 'water feature' is out of the picture for my garden at this time (sigh!). I keep praying the Lord will send a spring to my backyard!

Peggy

• 17 years ago

Hi Peggy, on this Dave's page there are 2 pics of what they are calling the same plant. I/some of us do that too
    Spider lilies and Peruvian daffs, lol
    which one on the page is the one you bought?

My Grandmother was in Eastland, TX which is 57 miles ESE of Abilene and she had both and on the main Dave's page that lists where people grow them some are in New England

Here is a link that might be useful: peruvian daffs

• 17 years ago

These came as a bonus in a trade and I'm assuming it to be Peruvian Daffodil (Hymenocallis festalis).

Have been through Eastland many times in my life. It is NE of us...that is where we hit I20 to head to the Metroplex ; )

Peggy

• 17 years ago

I know that many plants are called spider lilies. Mine grew in the bog (came with the house and pond and the landlord told me they were spider lilies) and bloomed around Easter. The link I provide were pictures of them in my yard.

Pam

• 17 years ago

Sorry Peggy, I think I've opened a can of worms. I think I remember a couple of months ago, you traded for a spider lily that you were trying to identify, and was referring to that lily when I said the Peruvian lily would be similar in bloom to it. I also have two different varieties. The bulbs that I referred to that I purchased in the earlier post, were labeled as Peruvian Daffodils ismene white. This one grows strap like foliage about 18" long. The other one that I have, I got at a plant swap labeled only as a white lily. When It put out leaves, it looked like a crinum to me. When it bloomed, it is a spider lily, hymenocallis something. I began researching, and found that there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different varieties of hymenocallis'. There is even a hymenocallis Galveston. In the south they are called ditch lilies. Anyway the strap like foliage on this one gets about 4 ft. long, and the blooms are on stalks about the same length. The blooms on both plants are very similar. I hope this doesn't just confuse things further.
    Jim

• 17 years ago

Jim

Considering I'm still on pain meds for my oral surgery last week and the new dentures are rubbing my very tender gums; please speak slowly in my right ear (left one has not worked in days LOL).

Yes, I was trying to ID a plant I received in trade about a month ago. That bulb still has me stumped because it does not look like a Hymenocallis bulb...not shaped like one; it is green with layers that peel off. It is still producing offsets between the layers and from the basil plate. Hopefully, it will bloom one day and I can finally learn what I have, if I don't kill it first either watering it too much or not enough. I was leaning towards clivia for awhile but I don't think someone would have swapped a Clivia bulb telling the receiver it was a Hymenocallis (spider lily); lotta difference in price and culture. I have two offsets that have been separated from mamma, may put them in the garden and mulch heavily.

So I wait to see what that Hymenocallis produces, but isn't that what gardening is all about? I have fond memories of my son as a child; he began early each spring checking the iris bed to see if his favorite iris was blooming. I do not remember the name of it; was white with purple ruffled edging and smelled like grape bubble gum.

I need more hot tea,
    Peggy

• 17 years ago

I just love mine!! They get huge
    {{gwi:1335218}}
    {{gwi:1335219}}

• 17 years ago

Those are the ones I have and I love them.

Jeanne, why don't you post some more pics of your beautiful gardens.

The new members haven't seen them
    jolana

• 17 years ago

ooh! so pretty! I bought some of these bulbs last summer. They made foliage, but no blooms. They planted in a very shady bed. Should I move them?

Peg, take some of that house paint and paint your terra cotta pots to match your trim! Just seal them w/ poly. Then put your plants in plastic pots inside. (Yes, this is a magazine project that I haven't done yet...one day!)

• 17 years ago

maden the shade! You just gave me a wonderful idea. The only thing our local Wal-Mart had this Winter was grey plastic pots. Painted cobalt blue, they would be smashing. Will have to check our forecast and see if our weather will allow us to do any painting next time hubby is off.

I want to paint our Adirondack chair, Santa Fe blue and we can make another so we have a pair! It resides in my back garden where I hope to add a fire pit. So many ideas...so little time, $$ and energy! LOL.

Peggy

• 17 years ago

Maden the Shade..yes they love full sun...thanks Jolana...Jeanne

• 17 years ago

shoot. I'll have to dig them up. And the freesias too. Just found out they also need full sun. My 'full sun' beds are so close to the street I don't like to put tall stuff there....I need a new bed!

• 17 years ago

Peggy - I have been looking for Lycoris radiata (Red Spider Lily) for several years and no luck. I was told at a local nursery that they had to be planted in the spring -and of course, it was in the fall when I asked.

So already I've been looking for some bulbs to no avail. Can anyone tell me where I might buy some? I've always loved them and really want to try a few. I just planted two Peruvian Daffodils today and really hope they come up. I've never seen them before but I think they gorgeous

Thanks

• 17 years ago

You can get Red Spider Lilies at Southern Bulb Co.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Bulb Co.

• 17 years ago

sanantoniorose

Check out the Plant Exchange Forum, there have been some who have offered trade of Lycoris radiata (Red Spider Lily) there.

There are several companies online who offer these for sale. Found some this past week for $3.50; Brent & Becky's is a bit more.

Good luck,
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent & Becky's

• 17 years ago

sanantoniorose,

My Peruvian daffodils have been in a planter for almost 5 years, but put out the 1st blooms last summer. They were small bulbs when I bought them in a Wal-Mart package. Either they're just now getting big enough, or I haven't satisfied their preferred conditions or location.

I've had good luck buying lycoris (red spider lilies) on Ebay. You can usually get them much more reasonably than from nurseries or bulb companies. (Search both for lycoris AND for red spider lilies) I've gotten a lot of them from several different sellers and I've never been disappointed in the ones I've received.

In December I lucked into a treasure trove of bulbs. A builder who was going to knock down a 50+ year-old house let me dig the 5 huge clumps of lycoris that were in the yard. There were 687 bulbs of all sizes. (Yep, I counted!) I've 'nurseried' them for now in planters until I enlarge the beds where I want to put them. It was the wrong time to dig them, so I don't know how many will make it, but I needed to beat the bulldozers to them!

If you get some, be patient. As long as they put out greenery in the fall they're fine, whether they bloom or not. They can sometimes sulk while they get established. You may only see a few blooms (or none) the 1st year or two. But then just stand back and enjoy!

We had some in our very 1st yard. I'd never seen them before. My 4-year-old ran inside one day and announced we had 'magic flowers'. It IS strange to see such a beautiful flower show up out of nowhere!

Donna

• 17 years ago

Does anyone know a cheap place online to get the Peruvian Daffodil bulbs? Thanks!

• 17 years ago

I don't know about on line, but I bought mine at WalMart.
    They came 2 to a bag, and cost somewhere between $3 and $7
    I can't remember now.

• 16 years ago

I leave my outside all year and I am northest of Birmingham Alabama, but this is its 3rd year and 1st time blooming.
    Jill
    {{gwi:259336}}

• 16 years ago

In March I bought 4 Peruvian Daffodils at Walmart for $1.67/ pkg of 2 bulbs, when they put all bulbs on 1/2 price. My first bloom a month or so ago was from one of these 4; had curled petals from the cup. Just love the look!

Jim...the ones mentioned in my org. post have large leaves like a crinum but the ones from Wal-Mart purchase have much narrower leaves with more upright growth so expect they are a different cultivar.

The largest daff mentioned in my original post opened a bloom this afternoon; has flat petals from the cup. This one and a sister made it through our Easter snow without any problems, so I think I will mulch good and cross my fingers that they will be ok in the ground this winter.

Peggy

• 16 years ago

Could I put them in my pond? I had some bulbs that had leafed out so I put them in a bucket filled with water until I could figure out a place to put them. They ended up blooming in the bucket! Would they survive in a pond?

• 16 years ago

Susansyd, you can put spider lilies (like Jeanne posted) in your pond but they won't be as happy as they would in a bog where they will get huge & multiply like rabbits.

Peg, did yours look like the link mikeandbarb posted? That was really pretty.

• 16 years ago

"Peg, did yours look like the link mikeandbarb posted? That was really pretty."

The first one that bloomed (from Wal-Mart) did look like their photo. Found online this one is Peruvian Daffodil Ismene Festalis

#2 that is blooming now looks like loveofmylife680's photo. And is possibly Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant' (Tropical Giant Spider Lily). I figure a Hymoncallis with Tropical Giant looking the most like what I have. It is putting more blooms up now.

Peggy