UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring July

yayagreen2000
18 years ago

Happy July!

Comments (100)

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

veeja11 is that silk road? It look like my silk road.
    the asiatics, la's, and orientals have been outstanding this year in my gardens.

Shirley

• mellen
    18 years ago

Vee, that is just breathtaking! I look forward to the day when the lilies I have received from my pal or from wonderful traders finally bloom.

I must tell you that hummingbirddaisy and I had the time of our lives this past Saturday. I had heard of this lady not 40 miles from here who grows and sells annuals/perennials in her huge garden. You go there with plastic sacks in hand. You walk along with her, choose what you want, and she digs it for you, $1/shovel. She is generous with her amounts, too. I came home with 20 different perennials for $20! She told us that if something fails to grow that she replaces for free. It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Now, can someone help me? I know that it has been posted on how to put pictures on here. I did copy that, but now after spending an hour looking for that copy, I have come up empty-handed. Would some kind soul be willing to type the direction again--literally step-by-step? I'd like to maybe post my pic or family pic. and other "things" as they come up. I would be forever greatful! Well, I'm heading to the flowers to do some weeding. I'm having friends over this afternoon for "coffee," except I think we may have root beer floats or purple cows instead. Too hot for coffee. Have a beautiful day, friends. Mellen

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 February

Q

Comments (98)
    Ronda, maybe your crocus will bloom yet, don't give up on them. It seems like one day you see green leaves, then a slight swelling, then a bud creeps out overnight! I should have taken another photo of those crocuses- they looks so frosty and cold (even though Dusty would be out weeding in her "it's 30º, it's a heatwave" T shirt! LOL) later on the sun came out and those babies popped right open, a lovely little sea of purple/lavender. Dusty, I spent 23 years in the confines of Minnesota. I know cold. The coldest temp I ever saw, not windchill, was -38º maybe lower and I'm just blocking it out-- and the windchill then was -75º. I went skiing once at -22, really tough to keep your nose and eyeballs thawed out. You have to be tough (aka stupid) to do that! My teenage car was about a 16 ton Pontiac Bonneville. One morning I went out to "warm it up" in really true bone- chilling cold well below zero. No cloth seats then: we had bubble plastic seat covers, colder than heck on the back side! I didn't realize quite how cold it was until I drove off some minutes later: the car tires had frozen flat where the weight of the car flattened out the tires parked overnight. So when I drove, it was thumpety thump, thumpety thump down the ice cold streets until the friction warmed them into round tires again! Ilsonshine- I have never kept a garden journal but one thing I tried "tried-" (meaning I remembered to do it for about a week) last year was log in bloom times of various perennials in various beds, ostensibly to plan better placement and remind myself of what I can count on to bloom, when. If I had a dime for every notebook or stray piece of paper with garden notes on it around this house I'd be retired and organized if I ever got them all in one place. I'm thinking my Circle Pal's file box might come in real handy to get garden notes organized too. Yippee: I picked up file dividers and note cards to fit that box the other day! Five weeks to Spring! Five weeks to Spring! Spread the word. Better get some of my 'winter' stuff done soon. (or it will wait til next winter) Poochella
    ...See More

UPDATE: March - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (94)
    How nice to stop in and see that we are celebrating my birthday already!!! I have been telling people that I don't mind the party, but I am NOT turning older this year... those numbers are just getting too large. LOL I have been doing lots of digging up and moving plants. We have to get the siding replaced on our house and guess what's in the way? Arg! The contractor has told me that the workers will not be careful around the plants, so out came any small plants and the smaller or the shrubs. The others we are cutting back and tying in hopes that fewer branches will be broken this way. It was especially bad timing because the azeleas are just starting to bloom! I am taking some of the cut branches inside and putting them in vases so we can enjoy them a little. (I was tempted to tell the contractor to delay, but just knew if I did that he would get busy with someone else and there will be a long delay. I think you need to get them when you can...) Anyway, party on, Garden Circle ladies. I think we should have fun all week! Jeanne
    ...See More

UPDATE: April - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (70)
    Gorgeous flowers Sandlapper/Jeanne! I especially like the purple one. I want to say thanks to my pal, Pastvast/Stephanie! I received a package over the weekend with some really cool surprises! First, Trilliums. Love them! I've really been needing to expand my shade garden beyond the basics and these give me a good start. And second, Skittles. Love them also! I've almost eaten all of them already, I just can't keep my hand out of that bag. Perfect timing too, I just ran out of 3 Musketeers minis so now I've got something new to snack on. And last but not least, Stephanie sent one of her wonderful letters. I really enjoy them and the updates on your life. And you have to keep me updated on that bundle of joy you're expecting! I have no kids myself, really don't want any, but I like to hear about and spoil everyone else's! Thanks again, Stephanie. Both Sandlapper/Jeanne and Pastvast/Stephanie, I want to apologize for being such an e-mail flake lately. I've been so swamped with home projects that I'm not getting much else done. And the last 2 weeks have been especially bad with replacing the deck. But the deck is almost finished (Yeah!) so you'll both be hearing from me soon. :-)
    ...See More

UPDATE: May - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (78)
    I'd like to give a big thank you to my dear friend Dee first of all for letting you guys know what was going on. And thank you to all of you that cared enough to post concern, I really appreciate it more than you know. This has been a terrible month for myself & family, but thank God it almost over!!!!!! My house did sustain damage, but certainly could have been alot worse, after getting up there we realized a tornada had gone thru. So we're very thankful for no worse damage than we received! I thank you all so very much for caring! I just love my friends here! So everyone knows....my dear Faint sent me one huge box full of hostas & daylilies! She already knows I'm just so thrilled but I want you all to know it too! I'll have to go check all the names and repost, sorry sweetie, did't get them written down before posting but do have your tags by each plant so I know:) Shannon....hun I have not forgotten you, please forgive me for this month, I promise, you are getting your box. I shipped it today UPS and also I shipped it 2 day so you should have it on Thursday! I hope so much you like and I promise not to be so late next month. The track # is 1z6408w10252183314 so please watch out for it, you'll want to open it asap.... Jeanne I also apologize to you for being late this month...
    ...See More
  • Poochella
    18 years ago

Mellen I'll find or post photo directions for you later. I recommend Photobucket for ease, so for now open an account there- it's free.

Here is why one should never create a shade garden in the middle of an-ever growing stand of Japanese Knotweed! It was planted here when we arrived 16 years ago and is slowly eating up the lawn, the woods, King County! But, I carved out one shade bed after lots of root digging and it hasn't been too bad to keep the knotweed from coming back so I thought I'd give another bed a try: Bad idea!

The astilbe, ligularia, azalea and hosta all have to fight for the right to space in this new garden. There is knotweed coming up daily, hourly maybe! ACK. And how many of you are silly enough to use bright blue bailing twine to fend off overhanging plants? LOL You don't find that at Lowe's in the garden section!

Another brilliant shot highlighting the bailing twine! I am shameless! See that fuzzy reddish astilbe in front: new this year and named "Obergartner Juergens" and it could become a favorite. See that knotweed? I JUST picked it all out 4 days prior and like the poltergeist girl I say, "They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack."

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hello everyone.
    Mary Ellen, here are the instructions I posted before:

Okay. Here's a step-by-step on picture posting:
    1. Go to www.photobucket.com and open an account
    2. When logged on to photobucket, you should see a "Add Pictures" section right on top. Use the "browse" button to find and upload your picture.
    3. When upload is completed, you'll see the picture in the "Photos" section (scroll down to see this). Under the picture, there are three entries: 'Url', 'Tag', and 'Img'. Highlight and copy the 'Tag'.
    4. Come back here and paste the 'Tag' into your message.
    That should do it.

Rabbits... like cats... cute when they're small but they grow up.
    Flower photos... beautiful. Those lilies are great. Oh, how I wish I could grow them, but I'm lacking two things... time and space :-).
    Pooch... you're too funny. Congrats to your daughter and look forward to having her down here where all the young, hot blondes belong... oops... I'm just kidding, lol.

Yaya, Dusty, Beth, Lilylouise, April... hope y'all are doing well. Forgive me if I missed anyone.
    Paul

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Pchang LOL: My daughter will be safely well south of you- maybe FAR south.
    She called from Cancun yesterday and says "we're thinking of staying longer." Oh Oh. They are having a great time, snorkeling and taking in the incredible Carribean marine life, beach life, and I made her promise to indulge in the shrimp which is simply the best down there. She'll be back on time to return to her two jobs, like a good kid (I hope.)

PChang Thanks for posting the Photobucket directions too. The biggest hangup for photos is naming them something you can remember, I find. So whatever program you use to vacuum your photos into your computer Mellen, or others, right click on a photo and use the "SAVE AS" or "RENAME" feature and then name it MyGorgeousLily.jpg or BigBadBunny.jpg- something that is appropriate. Canon software has a feature with "save as" right there when you view individual photos. Easy to rename them, save them, and get them into Photobucket with the Browse function.

One more hint: after you click Browse in PBucket, if you use Windows, it will say "all files" in the box that opens up. Click on the little arrow/menu down below there and choose JPG files and then you'll be better able to locate your photos.

Veeja I love your lily, I love all those lilies.
    BethB- are you lost back in Kodiak without an internet connection? I found a hidden Tasty Cake today and nearly leapt out of my skin with joy LOL!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Bad Paul, what does wife think? I love your plumeria photos.
    mine are little sticks.pals july greeting went out today, yes I think the lilly is silk road. poochey and I need pity it is suppose to get near 80 next week, we might melt.I am about to be a puppy grandma. I get to get a female puppy this time, so can't waitenjoy your blooms
    carol

• mellen
    18 years ago

Thank you, PChang, so much for the directions for showing pictures. And Pooch, I'm sure your pointers will be valuable, too. Now, to find some, take some, and try it out. Paul, you have THE most beautiful plumerias. Mellen

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

so pooch, you have a penchant for tasty cakes? what's your favorite? and how old was this hidden treat?

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Veeja, it was supposed to be 80 today- rainy and 50's for me. Hmmm when WILL summer start? I'll pity you if you pity me! You have to take care of the mama dog and pups, so no time for pity. I hope it goes well for you and her.

Earthly; I found the tasty cake in my bedroom Garden WEb corner where I had stowed everything from the living room for the grad party. There was one package left in the box, fresh as it was on its arrival a couple weeks ago! Peanut butter is my fav and I've been to tastycake.com LOL! ~ ; )

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Paul hope you are doing better, your pics are beautifull. I received a wonderfull box with lots of b day wishes from my pal. plates, napkins and a gift bag to match, water worms. gloves, my fav a put in water it will grow dish towel. love it all pal, seeds too. you are the best. thankyou. I am going to be 29 again.I will use my plates and napkins for my cake. thankyou pal
    carol

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Y'all,

Yes, I am still here, and doing well to boot. I have been crazy busy with a commercial project that I took on in addition to my normal work load (cause hubby ain't working and it's all on me, bringing home the bacon....actually I guess you can say I make the bacon at home...he he) So I have been chained to my computer for weeks.....I haven't even talked to my mom but for 15 minutes in a whole week, and I usually talk at least every day....for like an hour! Anyway, it is just about to wrap up, deadline is Monday, but it is 99% done. I can't wait to get the check for it!!!!

Garden Buddy, I sent you out a little something today...well tomorrow it will be in the mail. Sorry I have been so busy and not checked in. Hopefully, I will have a little more time next month.

YaYa

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Oh my you would not believe who came by to see me this afternoon. Ilsonshine!!!!! Gina and her family were
    vacationing close by and she got to come and visit with
    me. We had a wonderful time getting to know one another.
    Her three boys are precious and full of energy. Her Mom
    is traveling with them also and a real sweetheart. Of course she had to take some flowers home. I would not let her leave without some flowers. I will always remember this day, when I got to meet someone from gardenweb.

Shirley

• skoochmagooch
    18 years ago

okay this is my first try!! These are my Birthday presents from myself from last year and this is the first I have gotten to see them bloom!!! What do you think???

• dustydigger
    18 years ago

I'm going to be late sending any boxes this month.... If you all want to drop me, I'd understand. Just let me know. I left most of my other RR's.... any I tried to save I have to bow out of.. trying real hard to stay with ya all.. you were my first!
    My oldest son was in a bad car accident Sat. The Sherriff told me I was lucky he was alive. As it happened, it was 1/2 mile from my house on our road and I came upon it minutes after it happened. I was there before any fireman or sherriff or state trooper. Talk about Mamma freakin out! My shop has become a nightmare in the mean time(and yes.. someone/something is being very mean) and am considering putting the house back on the market. In 2 days, I had 6 1/2 hours sleep. I don't know if I am coming or going.. or already gone. To my Pal I send to, you've been great! My apologies for not being a great Pal back!

~Dusty~

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Skoochmagooch, that's a lovely birthday present and I see nothing wrong with giving one to yourself.
    Dusty, keep us updated about your son. I am so sorry to hear about the accident, but the good part is hearing that he made it. I hope he mends quickly. I can certainly understand why you got so little sleep.

Sandlapper Rose

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Hello all.
    Skooch... what camera are you using? If you have a macro function on your camera (usually a flower icon), using it will help you focus on the flower better. Very nice present, btw.
    Dusty... I am so sorry to hear that you are involved in yet another family tragedy. I hope everything works out and your son has a speedy recovery. I hope you don't leave us. Maybe we can all take turns helping Dusty with her Garden Circle Exchange duties. I'd be happy to get a box together for your pal this month.
    Pooch and all... I didn't mean down with me... lol. I meant down here in sunny southern California where the weather is warm, sun is shining, and surf is up! I believe Pooch's daughter is starting college down here this year.

Okay, hope everyone is good. I'm just trying to get through this year.
    Oh, and happy birthday to Carol. Have some cake.

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

My goodness Dusty.............I wish I could hold and hug you and tell you everything will be ok. You have had a lot to deal with lately. I think everyone here understands and if I can send to your pal for you I would be willing to help out. Please let me know. I think I speak for the group when I say we all understand and want you to stay in our exchange. Take care of yourself and let us know if there is any way we can help. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Take care
    Jan

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Dusty, (((((big squeezes)))) I sure hope things begin to get better for all of you now. It doesn't seem like much else can happen but good stuff so let's all hope and pray for those kinds of things for you and your family. I sent you an email if you have time to check it.

Skooch, your daylilies are beautiful! I had a lot of first blooms this year too. It's been so dry they aren't multiplying like I want them to so hopefully they will when it cools off this spring. Anybody know if that usually happens?

Pooch, your garden is very pretty, knotweed and all. I'll be happy to send you some wild violets. ;-)

I worked a 17 hour day yesterday and I don't think I'll be doing much more of that. This old woman ain't up to it no more!

Shirley, that's so great that you got to meet Gina! It sounds like you two had a blast.

YaYa, congrats on finishing up your job. Enjoy your payday!

Well, reality hits, time to cook so I'm off to the kitchen.
    Take care everyone.

Nancy

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Dusty- you stay right here! We are a forgiving group and you need to fall back and take care of you and yours with all this mayhem. I cannot imagine falling upon a car accident with my child involved on top of your other losses. I hope and pray for calm for all of you also and a big huge Poochella hug is sent your way. I hope your son is on the mend real soon- and the shop will find its way in good time. Take care of yourself.

Skooch: I think we have similar daylilies: this is one from our very own Shirley: I'll check the tag later or Shirley can ID it.

Jacey's thank you for the complements on my knotweed LOL! It is a great crop each and every year despite my best efforts to eradicate it. I have hope for Joan Senior yet: weeding the garden and taking a photo to follow, I noticed a lone spray of daylily, with no tag nearby, but that's near where the Joan Sr. tag was AH HA; if it's white I will post and see if you can say it's Joan Sr. herself.

17 hours at work is just too long. I say "stop it. Hold the 17 hour day, please." I used to do 12 but am too old for such folly now. Hold the violets too: although pretty, I have a crop from a plant I gathered from a gal who said "they'll spread all over...." Nice dark purple foliage and flower both-everywhere. The gal was right.

Shirley and Gina, that is so cool you got to visit! I can't wait to hear Gina's description of Shirley's yard in bloom! Daylily City I bet.

YaYa- good for you for making the deadline- I am sure it'll be a knockout project for you. I've been to your website, shortly after visiting tastycakes.com - teehee! It's an impressive site, and like I said before, I'd hire you in a minute if you weren't half a world away! Congrats to you. Hope your husband is appreciating all your labor too and feeling well as can be.

And for my local pal Veeja: the Happiest of 29th Birthdays to you! Hope the best for a birthday puppies delivery- you can name one Veeja if you get a girl!

• dustydigger
    18 years ago

Thank you all! Insurance company totaled his car. It's only 6 months old. But he's okay so that's okay! I did get a lil something together to send off to my pal today. It isn't much but it's something! My pal is wonderful and I am sure she will understand.

Well I am have to get ready to fight DOT. The County is making me move(re-align) my driveway for the shop and I can't do that without a permit from DOT since I am on a US highway.. Uggh!

Happy birthday to you Carol and anyone else I may have missed! Hope you all have a great weekend!

~Dusty~

• Twinkle
    18 years ago

Wow - lots of news this month, some good and some sad. I haven't been able to check in much lately, so lots to catch up on. Sounds like we need to send hugs all around!

I got a lovely card and some buzzy bee notepaper yesterday from my pal. Things have been a little hectic lately, and it is so nice to know that someone is thinking of me. Thanks pal for a bright spot in my day.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

No pups yet, thankyou for the bday wishes, I got the squirrel feeder I wanted, so as I sit at my computer, on my right on the floor are lil pups moving around in tisha's tummy, out window is mommy and baby squirrel, and two blujays enjoying the squirrel feeder, better than tv.It's great being 29

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Hi everybody,

We came back early from our boating trip. We were in Toronto when it really started getting hot. Canadians use the celcius scale and when I figured out that a high of 35 with a humidex reading making it feel like 42 was 95(ouch) and 107(yow) farenheit, I convinced DH that we would be better off out in the lake sailing home than trying to see the sights of lovely Toronto.

Congrats to Daisy-Maui is my favorite spot in the world, your wedding will be so memorable.

Poochella- Your DD is lovely. Did you tell us what her plans are now?

Jaceys granny- I worked on a cardiac unit treating patients with electric heart malfunctions. When I started, it was so new and we monitored the hearts for 4 days after the procedure and now it's an in and out thing. Amazing!

Paul- the thing I loved most about Maui was the frangrance of plumeria in the air as I stepped off the plane-Wow!

Pal- your July box will be in the mail on Monday.

Now I'm out the door to move the hoses and pull a few million weeds. Will someone please tell me how in the heck to stop these stupid sassafras treelets from spring up everywhere. I suspect a conspiracy of revenge because we had the mama tree cut down this spring.
    wallowing in the AC-Lil

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today was a garden club meeting and we went to a nursery about 35 minutes away that I had never been too, kind of out of the way, towards wine country. They specialize in daylilies and have a 6 acre field of them!!!! I bought three, as well as some other cool stuff (it sure is nice to have a garden that isn't filled up yet....)I got a neat variety of a japanese holly, a ruby summersweet clethra shrub, a pink japanese anemone, a mum that is a cousin of the normal mum, it has white margis on the leaves, very pretty texture and I have been on the look out for this for a while, also got a variagated japanese iris. I went' outside to set them around the garden and got attacked by mosquito's, so I'm back inside.

My project is finished and I am taking the whole day off!!!

Maybe I'll go make some cards or something....My husband is out with a friend...kind of nice to have the place to myself....very quiet.

By the way.....I'm not a big meanie waiting to kick someone off at the first sign of trouble.....I think we are through the "weaning" process....I don't expect anyone else to be let go....we know each other pretty well by now, unless you drop out of sight for several months.

YaYa

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Dusty, so very sorry to hear about your son's accident. You're about due for a straight run of happiness and sunshine, lady! I agree with what someone else said, we don't want to lose you and I would also be more than happy to help out with your pal if necessary.

Speaking of pal's, got a lovely box from mine yesterday. I've been thinking back over the last 8-9 months since we started this, and every time I saw something in my mailbox from my pal I got a big smile on my face. And that's before opening the box! Your thoughtfulness really helped pull me through my stressful period earlier in the year.

This box had chew bones for my pups - they're gonna love those - thanks for thinking of them! Also a sweet miniature flower press kit, an American flag magnet, and a pretty card. Thanks so much, as always!

Happy birthday to all the July birthdays!

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Oh Happy Day---when Jesus brought--- Carol our way! lol Just be glad I'm not singing it to you girl. Happy 29th! My mom stayed 29 until I told her she'd have to grow older because I was turning 29. ;-)

Dusty I'm still not sure you got my email. I think it't not going thru for some reason. The main thing I said is that if you need me to take over your pal for awhile I'll be happy to do that so just let me know if you need me. I wish I could help with all the other stuff that you're dealing with.

Lilylouise, it is miraculous what they can do now. I got a Biventricular Pacemaker 3 years ago when they were brand new and was only in the hospital overnight. The worst part was having to hold my shoulder still for 12 hours. The best part is that it's working great and made a huge improvement!

Hubby and I have been sitting on the back porch watching our two hummers dive bomb each other. DH was off today and said they've been at it all day. One tries to eat and the other shows up to run him off. Also, the bunny was under the boat getting ready to forage the rest of my new rudbeckia I just bought I guess. Can't decide if it's the bunnies or the deer eating my coneflowers and peppers but whoever it is, PLEASE STOP!

I too can wait to hear about Shirley's bounty so Gina, do tell!

Have fun ya'll,

Nancy

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Veejay - sounds like you are having a nice birthday. Continue to enjoy the little bit of the day that is left.

Sandlapper Rose

• skoochmagooch
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Veeja!!!!

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Dusty - Sorry to hear about all the things happening in your life. Hope for brighter days to come. Glad your son was not hurt.

Carol- Happy Happy B-Day and hope you have manyyyyyy moreeeeeeeeeeee.

Lilylouise - Glad to have you back.

Ya Ya - sounds like a nice day you had, purchased plants and all. I love Japanese Iris. I have to move some of mine this year. I read you need to move them every 3-4 years. And they must be right because some I have had in the same spot for 4-5 years did nothing this year. Did not get but 12 inches tall and didn't bloom.

My son called me earlier this week and had bad news concerning his girlfriend. She has been having black-outs and she had one in the grocery store and fell straight backwards. Steve said he thought it killed her. When her head hit the floor he said it sounded like a gun went off. It knocked her brain up to the front of her head and started bleeding. She stayed in the hospital 4 days and they gave her morphine every two hours. Kerry is her name and she has no family. They fired her from her job because of the black-outs. Now, they are going to take her license for 6 months. Please pray for her.

Poochella - Gina got to see alot of the dahlias blooming that you sent me. She took some pictures. They are so pretty.

Shirley

• Poochella
    18 years ago

During early morning coffee on the deck I spied this blurry beast browsing in brightness of the brush. I couldn't get close enough for a clear picture, but I assure you he was big, well fed, and unbothered by my guard dog or my pajamas, sweatshirt and garden clog ensemble.

The fairer of the females in the household, less blurry, gussied up for a recent Flamenco Recital. Don't most girls take ballet or tap? Not my girl- she is enthralled with Spanish culture and safely back from Cancun, thank Heaven. Those castanets at her waist were ordered online from a shop in Madrid on a Tuesday and in our driveway Thursday morning! Incredible service.
    Lil, she will be off to Southern California in a month to begin college- probably a business major/marketing or English, her strong suit.

I want to thank my Pal who sent the cutest little frog ballerina- pink tutu, toe shoes and clutching a delicate pink rose. I clipped it onto my work satchel, but decided it would get too dirty or battered there, so she is next to the sink where I can watch her and think of your thoughtfulness. That's a lot of thinking!

PChang, my plumeria has latex sap, Latex Sap! And the little leaf spikes are growing ever so slowly. I am going to add a heating pad under the pot and see if I can spur some growth. I've used that on dahlia cuttings before. Usually, there will be at least two cats fighting over the heating pad knocking over the plant though LOL! Cute when they're kittens, but the grow up to be shameless comfort seekers...but are still cute.

I agree, the sweet scent of a plumeria lei is a wonder. I am ever hopeful I can get this one to grow.

Shirley, glad the dahlias are blooming: I am watching buds form so far- really a slow year out here. I send my best for your son's girlfriend. I hope they can get to the bottom of her blacking out, and soon.

Sandlapper, I can't believe your season is over! How about your roses- don't they continue to bloom? It's not even summery here yet, but this week promises to be sunny and warm. Do you need to protect your blueberries? I had a great crop last year disappear overnight- birds? Beasts? Neighbors? Inquiring minds want to know....

Twinkle got a buzzing bee! They seem to flit about periodically in this group.

Mellen, how are you coming on the photographs?

YaYa you are a most gracious hostess. We all appreciate you!

Well, the sunny day beckons. I am fighting a cold, so I will take it easy doing a little hand weeding and taking in lots of water.

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

A huge thanks go out to my pal who sent me the most beautiful cards she made from pics of her own garden! I always find hand made gifts so much more personal than something you can buy so I really love these and won't want to use them. ;-) I also got an issue of Horticultural Digest that has lots of interesting information. Gardening magazines are one of my great passions. Last but not least there was a long newsy letter that I really enjoyed telling me about a garden tour her club took that sounded like a lot of fun.

Shirley, my prayers are added to the rest for Kerry's early diagnosis and complete healing. I know your son was scared to death to have that happen. Thank God we're a lot tougher than we think we are.

Pooch, did you take the pic of the deer in my back yard? I have one feasting out there. Today the only dahlia I had blooming was down on the ground along with it's very sturdy stake. I suppose something has been rooting around because the soil was disturbed around the bulb. You're flamingo dancer is beautiful and I'm happy to know she came home safely.

It's so hot and dry here that just about everything is finished until it cools off. All I have left is lantana, guara, zinnias, daisies, a daylily here and there, tiger lilies and a few dahlias. What do you all still have bloomming?

Nancy

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Shirley, I will also be saying a prayer for Kerry that she gets well soon. What a frightening thing!
    Nancy, you must have weather like ours. It didn't used to bother me when most things quit blooming in July and August, but now I am adding some tropical things - will have to take a picture of my cannas for you. I also have a little banana plant since last summer.
    Poochella, that's a lovely picture of your daughter. Her timing was good that she did not go to Cancun a bit later.
    As for my roses, I have only a few blossoms on about 5 bushes (that's out of about 50 rose bushes!) so they truly don't do much when the temperatures are high. However, I should report that the rose bushes that I bought with the gift certificate from my Garden Circle Pal are really growing well. Both got a flower or two several weeks back which is a good showing on a first year rose! I have a few daylilies putting out their last blossom or two. The blueberries are totally worry free for me here. I don't fertilize, water, spray for anything, or give them any winter protection and they grow huge and produce loads of fruit. I can't tell you what kind they are - they were planted on our land before we bought it so they are over 20 years old at this point. It's nice to have something that likes where it grows!

Have a good week, everyone.
    Sandlapper Rose

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

This month's box went out today. sorry it's a little late pal.
    Here's some pics from our trip.

The gang on Canada Day at Coburg, Ontario

Water Colors at Point Breeze, NY

The view of Toronto from our berth on the harbor island

Ernie snoozing on the way home

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

We got a small shower this afternoon, which we needed. Many of my plants are also in a "rest" period, the lilies are done, and the gaura, and coreopsis and some of the salvia is performing at a low level. My impatiens, annuals and many veggies are doing well, basil, watermelon expecially. the tomatoes are just barely producing the first ones. My grasses are really in show now and carrying my hill planting now that the blooms are mostly spent. I do have some calamintha and kalimeris integrefolia, both slightly on the rare side, that are really looking good in bloom now...I hope my pal is enjoying hers that I sent. It is so stinking hot and humid around here it is almost impossible to really be outside more than just to go to the car without getting drenched in sweat...dog days of summer!

YaYa

• skoochmagooch
    18 years ago

we have actually been lucky lately with rain well not so lucky the rain has been downpours and the humidity is UNFORGIVING!!!!! I can't wait for fall although I am anxious to see my first passiflora bloom!! I will definitely post pics when it does!! Thats our Northern Yankee version of the plumeria!!! Just kidding but passiflora is far more forgiving than the plumeria!!! Well everyone STAY COOL!!
    Yaya Enjoy your little mini vacation!!!!Remember to smell the flowers or just the vegetation!! and stay cool!!Take it easy!!
    Shirley I really hope everything is going to be okay with your grandsons girlfriend prayer and hopefully modern medicine will help atleast a little bit!!
    Happy Gardening or should I dare say Happy Air Conditioning!!LOL
    Marie

• dustydigger
    18 years ago

Stay cool Skooch?!!?!?? Impossible! We've had more 90 degree days in the last 2 months than all the years combined! I'm afraid what August will bring. Folks think cool and rain but I have my doubts! I don't ever remember having this many 90+ degree days! Someone, please send rain!!!!!

Pooch! Beautiful!! She's just beautiful!

Liliylouise, If your travels ever take you down the Erie Canal to Syracuse, let me know! I feel bad for the folks that have been stuck at the locks the past week or so. I love Ernie! It's a dogs life! And a good one! I wish I were a dog! lol A real one that is!

Paul, Hope all is well your way and your kidlet is having a great summer vacation!

Shirley, Thoughts and prayers are with you and Kerry.

Nancy, got your email and replied. I'm slower than I care to admit these days.

Carol, Hi. Hope you had a great B-day!

ABC- Hi, hugs to you too!

I want to thank you all for being extremely patient with me! Life has not been nice, but I know we have to go through bad to get good and once it's done it was oh so worth it! Hard to see that now where I sit, but I stand strong in that belief!

I'm in a big battle right now with NYS DOT... I don't think I am winning at the moment.. but man I have to win! Please everyone, regardless of your beliefs, send me prayes, love. good energy! I need all the help I can get right now!

Son is doing very good! I am so happy for that! Even though I am at my witts end with him! Sleep has been nicer to me but my Dr. put me on sleeping pills. I was close to a nervous breakdown. My main goal right now is not to get stressed out. About anything, long overdue trades, being a sucky pal, kids, shop, hubby, car & critters. I am trying to keep an "It's okay attitude." It's hard most of the time. I cry a lot, but hey that's cool.. crying is good. Better than my hard @ss attitude I generally try and carry. Which is prob. what put me where I am to start with.

My pal should be home from vacation as of yesterday so I sent her box today. She knows who I am.. so it's no secret... anymore.

Lil T, Hope Gabby is better! Poor baby sick as all get out in the middle of summer.

Yaya, How is your hubby? I think of him a lot... esp. with Hunters 2 year death thing is Thurs.

Someone, please send me some cooler weather and a nice slow steady rain!

~Dusty~

• mellen
    18 years ago

Well, Pchanggeo, I think I have the picture thing figured out. Here is a picture of our dog Lady and me today. Mellen

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Hi Mellen and Lady thanks for the picture. It's so nice to see everyones pictures.

Thanks to everyone for praying for Kerry. I think Steve really cares for this one. He's 30 and not married so we thought hey this may be the one and now all this is happening. Life seems to always throw us a curve ball. I talked to Kerry this afternoon and she tried to sound so cheerful. Poor darling.

Dusty - Bless your heart. I will definetly keep you in my prayers. Sounds like you have had more than your share of problems. Sometimes we think we can do it all by ourselves, don't need anyone, but I have learned the hard way turn it over to the one who can help us and he can. Yes our Lord can.

Poochella - Your daughter should be in Hollywood. She's beautiful. I tell my little grandson Dawson all the time that I am going to take him to Hollywood and Mam Maw won't have to work anymore. He can do commercials and keep me up. The bad part is I don't have any money to get us there.

Everyone take care.

Shirley

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

WHOA! I go away for 12 days and look what happens... I return to find I have over an hour of reading/catching up to do on gardenweb (luckily DH is at work 11p-7a so I was able to go through most of it).

Dusty Dear, you know I told you that you didn't need to worry about sending anything but an email/ecard/or whatever to just tell me hi. Really! I am SOOOO sorry to hear of your DSs accident and troubles with the shop. Thank our dear Heavenly Father that he will be okay. I wish I was there to send you (((((((BIG HUGS))))))), but it's time for you to give yourself one of my long distance hugs... You know... put your right hand on your left shoulder, now your left hand on your right shoulder and squeeze... come on, do it for me and for you for at least a minute or two.

Dusty you didn't have to go putting a package together for me, Shirley wouldn't let me go without giving me some of her beauties! She was sooo sweet. Everyone, Shirley would amaze you!! She has oodles and oodles of daylilies. She knows the names of them all to boot. I never knew there could be soooooo many different daylilies.

Shirley, I am SOOOOOO very sorry/sad too, to hear about your son's girlfriend, Kerry. I hope she is doing better now. Have they found out anything as to why this is happening? I'll sure be praying for you and yours. THANK YOU Sooo much for the time and flowers that you shared with me (a bunch of her lilies, some gorgeous phlox, bee-balm, cool cannas wow thanks again, you are a sweetie). Some of the plants look a bit blaaahh now, but what can we expect from them traveling from NC to SC-GA-TN-KY-MO to IL?! Some of them look like they should have no problems. I'll hope for the best on this as our area did get some rain while we were away, I truly hoped it would follow us back as you don't need anymore right now! The temps were in the mid-high 90s today with an even hotter-steamier heat index and the reg temp is supposed to go to 98 or more by this weekend.

Let me tell you grandenpal friends, I had printed out directions off the net on how to get to Shirley's area (which later surprised her as she hadn't given me directions yet) but the directions didn't go all the way to her house, so I told my DH just to follow the *Daylilies For Sale* signs that we saw along her road. You guessed it, they lead us right to her and her wonderful gardens!!! LOL Oh, by the way, God works things out in such neat ways. Where we were staying for most of the trip was about an hour or so from away from Shirley up and down and around and around many mountain curves. We were rained in with flash flood warnings on one day. With off and on showers, my DH commented that he didn't think drywall could be transported and delivered on rainy days, when he saw a boom truck in front of us loaded with drywall delivering to a condo/resort area just down a road from where we were staying. When he met Shirley's DH and learned that he drove a boom truck it was quite cool to learn that he had actually been driving that very truck at the time my hubby commented about it. I know, some say it's coincidence, but no it isn't. What are the odds of us even putting those pieces together, let alone us even being in the same area. I think it just goes to show that so many things are going on around us, to connect us/protect us/comfort us/help us grow/you name it that we can't even fathom. Too many things have happened in my short 37 yrs for me to ever think that anything is a mere coincidence.

It is getting rather late and I really need sleep (any of you ever need a vacation day or two to rest from your actual vacation trip?!) or I would post some of the picts I took. So, I'll just leave you with this one and then the old "to be continued" sign for now and you can anticipate other picts for later.

{{gwi:1291701}}
    Gina & Shirley Meet

I wish I would have noticed that Sandlapper Rose is from SC and Twinkle from GA, I might have been able to drop in on you also depending on if we were going to be close. With the rain 'dampening' our plans (pardon the pun) we were kind of behind on some of our "to see/to do" items, so it probably would have been tight to try that anyway. It was truly a neat experience though to meet a fellow gardenweb pal.

Please hang in there, Dusty, Shirley/Brittneysgran, Paul/Pchanggeo, Mary/YaYa, Teresa & Gabby, and anyone else I've missed who has had health/family/drought/weather problems. You are being lifted up in prayer.

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you garden pal for your GENEROUS gift certificate to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I also got 3 packets of seed, "blue monday sage", "pink sunday sage" and 'love in a mist". I really had pretty good luck this year with starting seeds, so I am looking forward to combing through the catalog to make my order. You are really thoughtful.

I am glad that my pal is feeling better....yeah pal!

Oh, hey, a little funny life story....you know that big project I was working on.....well when we went to turn it in, the lady who put out the original proposal doesn't work there any more and no one had any record of the project! We do have a copy of the signed contract....and my colleague is working on getting us paid (It was a joint project actually through his office) but it figures doesn't it? I'm not really worried about it, there really isn't that much chance we won't get paid, but it still was one of those Iggy type moments.

YaYa

• teresa_ohio
    18 years ago

Hi everybody! Sorry it's been so long since I posted. Gabby was sick last week with her first cold and now I've got it this week. I worried myself sick over her, called the Dr. everyday, sleep in her room... Guess I'm really one of those paranoid first time Mom's now. lol. But she is doing much better now. Not nearly as congested. Now if I could just get my head to clear up. :) I just got my pals package sent out yesterday, so I didn't want her to think I forgot about her!! :)

Shirley, I'll keep Kerry in my prayers also. I hope they figure out what is causing the blackouts soon and she recovers quickly.

Mellen, you dog is adorable. Just love the pictures of everyone. It's nice to put a face with a name.

Pooch, your daughter is just beautiful. Shirley is right, she should be in Hollywood! :)

Ilsonshine and Shirley, sounds like you guys had a nice time. It is always so much fun meeting someone from gardenweb.

Paul, haven't seen you post for awhile, I hope that everything is ok.

Yaya, what a great idea your pal had. I tried my hand at growing from seed this spring and didn't do so well. I'm amazed by the people that can do it so well.

We are having some hot and miserable weather here too. Got a little bit of rain, but not enough. My veggies in my garden are looking so droopy. This has really been a dry summer for us. But at least the mosquitos haven't been bad. That's a plus.
    Gabby is doing great. I'll post some pictures after while. She is smiling like crazy now. It's so cute! She is growing so fast, I can't believe. She's such a sweetheart!
    To everyone I missed, I hope all is well and you are having better weather than us! Lil T

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Mellen, thanks for sharing your pic and Lady's with us! Now we'll know you when we see you. ;-) The bed behind you is really pretty.

Gina, great pic of you and Shirley also so now we'll know Shirley! ;-) who by the way looks nothing like I thought she would. That was pretty smart of you to find your way there and surprise her.

Lil, love Ernie! I'm with whoever said it's a dog's life! I want to come back as your dog please. lol It looks like you have a really nice time and the area is beautiful.

We did finally get a small rain which helped for a little while. At least I didn't have to water for a couple of days.

YaYa, I am loving the plants you sent. The calamentha has tiny little blooms all over it now and I didn't mention that the glads bloomed and the colors were so vibrant and pretty. Thanks again for sharing your garden with me. The dahlia isn't blooming yet. I'm not having much luck with them this year. I have a couple of them blooming but the blooms aren't lasting very long and there are a few that Pooch gave me that are growing pretty good but the rest are stalled as tiny plants. I don't know what I did wrong. I think maybe because it was cool for so long and then dry and so hot. Today the heat index was 91 already at 8 AM and this afternoon over 100! Almost too hot to breathe. I've got more grass and weeds growing than plants I think but I can't worry about it right now and this weekend is supposed to be in the 100's. EEK!

Scooch, as for me and mine you can put us in that A/C group!

Have fun all,

Nancy

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

A very special thanks to my garden secret pal, who again this month lavished me with such great gifts. What a heart of gold you have my friend.

First off, another beautiful card. I have enjoyed receiving the packages each month, but I so look forward to the cards, they are just wonderful and each month top the month before it. I am posting it below to share with you all a bouquet of cut flowers tied in a pretty pink ribbon, made of pressed flowers on handmade card paper  just so lovely.

I received two clematis  or is that clematises? One called fireworks and the other carnaby  I googled the pictures and they are just gorgeous. I have two others planted out at 12 and 6 around my lamp post and one is now beginning to bloom. How neat it will be to plant at 3 and 9 oÂclock -- what a gorgeous mix when they all bloom.

Also received  to add to my latest crazed addiction  was a daylily called ruby stella, another beauty. I received Rosella dahlia tubers and some hens and chicks. I have a couple of old shoes screaming for these bad boys. Last but not least by any chance, a plant I totally fell in love with when I visited italy ~~ bougainvillea. I am just so absolutely thrilled over this  the size of that baby WOW! WOW! WOW! You have truly made my day, my month, my garden! Thank you so very much.

Also included in my box is a nice sized bar of burt beeÂs peppermint soap and a neat cloth storage bag for plastic bags.

What can I say pal but thank you again from the depths of my heart for sending me such wonderful and thoughtful things. I feel truly blessed.

Pleasant thoughts are sent your way. continued health and happiness to you and yours.

{{gwi:1291703}}

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Ya Ya
    I just wanted to quick post that I did get my pals package sent out. I know it is late and I will try harder next month.

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Mellen, good to see your picture and Lady, too. Her hair looks so soft - I wish I could reach out and pet her.
    Sorry to hear that little Gabby has been sick. Now, you rest up, mom (Teresa) and get well, too. It's hard to see the little ones sick.
    I love the boat pictures and the one of Ernie. He sure looks comfortable. (Can you tell I love dogs?)
    Gina, thanks for including the picture of you and Shirley. Wish you had stopped by - maybe another time!
    This month is sure flying by. School is almost ready to start here - the first day back is August 4. That seems so early.

Sandlapper Rose

• pastvast
    18 years ago

Thank you secret pal!!! I'm SO SORRY for not writing sooner that I'd gotten your package. It arrived Monday or Tuesday(I think... life's been crazy) and I got all the plants planted before a rainstorm came through. I can't wait to see what the mums look like, some have flower buds and the fall color will be nice.

Thanks for more glad corms. The ones you sent me earlier are about a 1' tall, I'm not sure if they'll flower this year because they were planted relatively late. Since they didn't say they were hardy glad, I'm assuming that I've got to dig them up this fall?

The soap smells very pretty. One of these days I'll finally get all the dirt out from my fingernails!! That'll probably in December! LOL.

Oh... the dinnerplate dahlias that you sent early spring are doing AWESOME!! They're HUGE. So far, three have bloomed- lemon yellow, orangy yellow (reminds me of halloween), and purple (my favorite). I hope the purple does well enough this year that when I dig them up in the fall that they can be divided.

Thanks again!
    -Stephanie

• skoochmagooch
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for my wonderful package pal!! I really appreciate it since I have absolutely no time to myself oh except for that 5 minutes a day I take by the pond!! but I have an excuse to pamper myself she sent me a lovely package with a sugar scrub lotion and bath gel she also sent which we have already started using in this heat 2 flower mugs which are filled with water to put into the freezer and with these temps they keep the drinks really cool!! And also some maple chips for the grill which is awesome because I grill almost everyday in this heat!! Too hot to light that oven ladies and gentleman and she also sent me some red pepper and garlic dipping oil from Canada eh!!lol Thanks so much for your very thoughtful gift!!!
    Marie

• ronda_m
    18 years ago

Hope everyone in the circle is well..
    Happy Birthday to all the July babies..
    I received another wonderful box from my pal.
    2 beautiful hand towels and some soap that smells wonderful..They were protecting a jar of brownie mix..
    My Mom does NHGC and she got some of this from her xmas pal.. Did not share a single crumb with me.. I look forward to whipping mine up and eating it in front of her...LOL..Thanks pal.. I love everything you have sent..
    May everyone enjoy their summmer....
    Ronda_M

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

Finally got my pictures from Maui loaded onto my computer and thought I'd share some from the Kula Botanical Garden. Very cool to walk through, so many interesting plants! Hope everyone enjoys them.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I

Ernie-the-Sailor Dog and Lady! Mellen if I'd have known Lady was such a gorgeous dog I would have showered her with more gifts in the birthday swap!

Shirley and Gina, how wonderful you could get together from so far apart. I do not believe for one minute that you are a Grandma, Shirley. You'll have to prove it!

Earthly I adore that floral card as well. Is it home made with real flowers? I love the texture of the paper. Yum.

Sandlapper- SCHOOL starting in early August is shameful! Summer's barely started and they have to go back into the cooking brick buildings? Our kids don't get out of school until 6/20 or later. Start after Labor Day. I'm not sure why the schedules vary so much across the nation.

Ronda M- enjoy every mouth watering morsel of those brownies and, in between bites, remind your drooling mother that Sharing is an important life lesson LOL!

Stephanie, I'd like to talk with you about that lemony yellow dahlia when it's done for the season ;) as so many of my yellows have perished this year.

Skooch, I am with you on the grill idea. Our oven heats up the entire kitchen, thick counter tiles which then continue to radiate heat. For supper I say, bring it home in a bag or grill it on any day over 80- heaven forbid 90.

I have many chores to do so shall flee. It is raining out, so I guess watering isn't on the list today. I hope little Gabby and Mama Theresa are back in fine fettle and getting some rest. And that Shirley's Kerry is finding out what her ailment is all about.