SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yayagreen2000

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 February

yayagreen2000
19 years ago

February,

The month of love, presidents, pink, early early spring bulbs, snow, and thinking of our friends on Garden Web.

Looking forward to another good month with you all.

YaYa

Comments (98)

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

My Secret Pal is SUPER!!!
    I got a beautiful address book. It is illustrated whth so many beautiful drawings. I shall enjoy it for years and years.
    My old one is strictly utilitarian and at least 20 years old. I can't even remember who some of the people are (were).
    This one is so pretty it will be a pleasure to spend a couple hours transfering the information.
    Make new friends and keep the old!. Can't wait to meet my new friend and secret pal.
    Beth B

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

My face is red here. I was so carried away talking about my new treasure I forgot to say THANK YOU.
    (Thank you in big red capital letters. Can't you see them?)

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - January

Q

Comments (55)
    Kelli I got the package!!! Woohooo we are gonna fool those little squirrelies. :-) Thank you so much. I love feeding the birds and we do have trouble keeping the squirrels out of the food. My DH thought it was pretty cool too...he is the one that fills them for me. What a wonderful surprise! Plusssssssss it came with binoculars!!!!!! Can't wait until this weekend to spy on some birdies. I had a new guy come to the feeder when we had cold weather the other day. A red breasted sap sucker. Very brightly colored fella. Thanks so much again. You really didn't need to go so far out of your way to do that but it's much appreciated. Your packaging job was perfect. Hey...PS..My last name doesn't have an h in it :-) It's Tompkins! It's one of those names that people often add or drop letters from so no big deal. Just thought I'd let you know.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Jan. - 2006 Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (108)
    Wow, Shannon/garden_witch, you sure put together a special package!! I was so excited when I saw the mailman pull up and carry my package up to the porch! Ok, well first of all, there was a card with beautiful flowers on it, and such a pretty envelope, I loved it! And I really enjoyed reading your letter, and learning more about you! I liked seeing the photo of your backyard, looks like you've sure got your work cut out for you, like I do with my yard! But you've got a great, fresh space to work with looks like, and I'd love to see more photos this summer once you've got some areas of that yard filled with all those plants from your winter sowing! And here's what was in the package: A great coffee mug with a garden-themed picture on it of a watering can and some other things, I will be using it later for my coffee; and even better, it was filled with mini candy bars! Mmmmmm.... :) I tried one of those Midnight Milky Way bars, which are made with dark chocolate around the outside, (I love dark chocolate, the richer the better,) and oh my goodness was it ever good. I'd never tried those before, and now I'm really wishing there were more than two! I NEED more!! Must... go... buy... more.... see, look what you did to me, Shannon! LOL. Okay, moving right along. A pretty pot with hand-painted flowers on it that I love, (I love pots, and am always wanting more of them, so it was perfect!) And in the pot, was a baggie of several different kinds of seeds that I can winter sow, (woohoo, I love seeds! lol) and a beautiful anklet with jade colored stones in it, which is great because green is my favorite color, and I love jade colored things. Then there was a beautiful little garden ornament, which is right up my alley, I absolutely love those types of things! I have to find a special place to hang it now... Also, some pretty faerie gifts tags and book plates, a wonderful smelling homemade candle, (it is lit as we speak,) and last but certainly not least, a great gift! It was a bag labeled "Seed snatching kit." And in it, was a little notebook, a really cool gel pen that writes in several different colors, some seed envies, and a pair of Singer thread snippers, which I never would've thought to use for this purpose, but it is just perfect for snipping off seed pods! They will go to great use, that's for sure. And a couple of the gifts were inside these very pretty handcrafted bags, which I just love. And Shannon, where on earth did you find that alien wrapping paper? LOL! I love it. :) Everything is wonderful, and I am very thankful that you are my new pal! ~Summer
    ...See More

UPDATE: Feb. 2006 - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (124)
    Thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes! I'll say also, it was the big 32 for me. Thanks to Stephanie/Pastvast for the package (which finally arrived yesterday!) this month and the B-day wishes. I received a book called The Cultivated Gardener, which I have a feeling I'm going to love! My pal sent some herb seeds, which I'll be sure to plant, I'm adding more herbs to my veggie garden this year. My pal also sent some seed starting guides, perfect timing since I've gotten behind on getting my seeds started this year and was going to start this week. And last but not least a foot soak (I love pampering myself!), and a BIG chocolate bar! YUM!!! I hope I didn't forget anything, I'm going by memory, and you know how that gets as you get older! ;-) Thanks again Stephanie! It was a wonderful package this month! Thanks to our host, Jeanne/Sandlapper Rose (the person I send to) for the B-day wishes. That was a nice surprise to receive a card (both of them!). And finally, Spring is coming! My crocus are blooming right on schedule again this year with the first bloom opening on my Birthday (Sunday). Can't wait for all those daffodils that are poking through to finally take off!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 March Continued

Q

Comments (35)
    I guess technically this should be on the April post but I just couldn't wait to thank my Secret Pal! I got a package in the mail for April Fool's Day! I don't think I've ever received an April Fool's gift, but hey, I like it! My pal sent me a coloring and activity book with crayons which I'll put to good use at a family gathering I'm going to next week. It'll help me keep the little ones entertained. My pal sent me a pet also! A dust bunny! It says it's easy to care for, loves spider webs, enjoys hiding under the bed, low maintenance, multiplies rapidly, and is especially active at night. It's so cute! Now what should I name it? My pal also sent a Stress Buster. It's bubble wrap in a bag for "When you are stressed & full of troubles just grab a piece & smash some bubbles!". Also very cute! And last, but not least, my pal included a beautiful card wishing me a Happy April Fool's Day and a Happy Spring too. Thanks again Secret Pal! It's always good to hear your wonderful wishes.
    ...See More
  • yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK....My Bad.....the misunderstanding for the "Lost" January package I held the meeting about was my fault, that person got prior approaval to be late and I forgot. My public apologies go out. I guess I'm the "dud" after all :)

YaYa

• pchanggeo
    19 years ago

Hello, Ladies.
    Well... it seems I'm the trouble maker. Didn't post in January because I was waiting... Finally emailed yaya about not getting anything... got my hands slapped for reporting in late... then it seems everything worked itself out. I can't wait for my February package.

See what happens when you let a guy into your sacred circle :-). I'm just glad my pal is enjoying her things I've been sending.

Thank you all and hope everyone has a great weekend. Paul

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Don't worry Paul, it isn't a conspiracy against you.....We LOVE you....guess what.....since you are the only guy, I guess you get to be all 28 of us girl's garden valentine!!!!! How does that sound? I guess I need to do a little kiss up anyway to make up for my mix up. So here it is........

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO PAUL!!!.... OUR GARDEN CIRCLE EXCHANGE RING VALENTINE SWEETHEART! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

(Picture yourself on a float in the garden web parade, surrounded by 28 women throwing rose petals on you)

Good, now all is SWELL.

YaYa

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to our man "PAUL"!

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Well now, I wish I had a wonderful little icon to display THAT: 28 gorgeous gardeners showering petals on the Alpha Male of the group. Enjoy the thought and of course none of us has calloused hands, tattered knees, or dirt under our nails!

Yaya you are so far removed from a 'dud' it isn't even funny. I nominate you to ride on the float as the Alpha Female and receive showers of petals as well. At least accept the group's accolades for being right on top of things. It is much appreciated!

Oh look: the parade route!
    {{gwi:2103365}}

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Okay leaky sorry It was not me who sent conversation hearts, wish I had, sorry not me
    carol

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Carol, you're kidding me! I'm going to dust for fingerprints!!! If it's really truly not you, I have another suspect in mind.. I have to look into this further

Poochella

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

I have a question - has anyone looked through the list of Garden Circle Exchange members and put together a list of when the birthdays are? I got in belated wishes for YaYa, but feel there must be some more birthdays coming up - or maybe that we missed. Anyway, if there is a way to share that information, I think it would be nice. This group is so thoughtful, I'll bet there would be lots of happy birthday messages here if we know when the birthdays are. (And if there is someone we forgot, hope it was a happy day for you and have a very happy year ahead!!!)
    Sandlapper Rose

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

I have these Birthdays recorded for this group for the month of Febuary.
    ya ya - Febuary 4th
    ilsonshine-Febuary 9th
    Daisy_Me - Febuary 26th

Here's March
    number_1_angel - March 8th
    ggsnail - March 10th
    poochella - March 19th
    sandlapper Rose - March 29th

April
    Mellen - April 17th

I will post the rest later, got to get ready and take my Sunday School Class on an outing today. They are so sweet.

Shirley

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Good idea Sandlapper Rose and thanks to Shirley for being so organized. We missed Ilsonshine's big day!

Happy Belated Ilsonshine! Hope it was a great birthday and that this year brings many good things your way.

For your belated Birthday greetings:

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

OK I made it home alive. No really the kids were great, very well behaved. We went to the fun factory. It is definetely a great place to take children to entertain them. It has bumper cars, laser tag, bowling, electric swings, giant slide, karoke, and tons of other stuff all indoors. We topped it off with all you can eat pizza.

Here's the rest of B-Days
    May
    Ronda M - May 5th
    abcgirltx - May 19th
    Earthly Delights - May 22nd
    euphoria 526 - May 26th

June
    PlantladyJan - June 17th
    Aprils_Garden - June 23rd

July
    Sckoochmagooch - July 8th
    veeja11 - July 15th
    lilylouise - July 26th

August
    Theresa24 - August 24th

September
    beth_b_kodiak's - Sept 3rd
    ZZTOPSOIL - Sept 26th

October
    pastvast - Oct 3rd

November
    pchanggeo - Nov. 17th
    oldseed - Nov. 21st
    Twinkle - Nov. 22nd

December
    jaceysgranny - Dec. 20th
    Brittneysgran - Dec. 24th

There were some who signed on with us that did not have their Birthdays on their page.
    They were
    DustyDigger
    Teresa_Ohio
    mamabear4
    thegardenangel
    If they will let us know their Birthdays we will have them all. That is if none have dropped out and no new ones have joined.
    Shirley

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Well I just found Teresa_Ohio's Birthday on her page.
    Either I missed it or she has added it.
    It's May 15th

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

A Happy Belated Birthday from me, too, Ilsonshine!

...and thanks to Brittneysgran for being so organized and letting us know when the birthdays are. (Now to print them out so I don't lose track)

Sandlapper Rose

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Okay LL, i would bet on sneaky Beth, she did the same thing to me, she is quite the sneaky one.

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

What a great Valentines Gift I got in todays mail from my Secret Pal! She sent me a beautiful card(SP.. hope the kids are over the flu.. I am working on a bout of pnenomia myself.. not fun, I've battled it before!) My pal also sent me a package of Chocolate & Carmel Cocoa! Mmmmm Can't wait to try it! Some Flower stickers and best of all a small 16 month calendar with each month showing beautiful roses! This will be perfect for my soon to open Florist Shop! So fitting! Thank you so much secret pal!! Hope the kids are better and you get out of the house soon!
    Happy Valentines Day everyone!

~Dusty~

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

Oh! I was so excited about the calendar, I forgot to post about the beautiful notepad for the refrigerator!
    Thanks again SP!

~Dusty~

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Dusty,
    We would love to have your Birth date if you would share it with us. I could not find it on your page.

We also need
    Teresa_Ohio
    mamabear4
    thegardenangel

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO EVERYONE

Shirley

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

I received a wonderful package from my Secret Pal today. Thanks so much! I received a copy of Backyard Living magazine, a Mary Kay gift set, chocolates, conversation heart candies and a Precious Moments activity and coloring book for DD. I really appreciate that you included something for DD! She loves to help me open my mail and she was very excited to find something for herself in the box. Thanks again!

Jenell

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

I would also like to wish everyone a......

Happy Valentine's Day!

• pchanggeo
    19 years ago

Hi, everyone. Hope y'all are having a great Valentine's.

I received a wonderful card from my valentine...err...I mean my exchange pal. I was so happy to get it. But there was more. A priority box all decked out with heart stickers, and all kinds of goodies inside. As soon as I opened the box, I could smell the candy... and so did my kids :-). After they got through claiming all the lollypops, sweethears, bubble gums, chocolate, etc. etc. etc., I was left with candles, a frog statue (my kids were laughing at the frog's little butt), and some bath salts inside a beautifully decorated envelope.

Thank you soooooo much for the wonderful Valentine's box. Nice timing too.
    Paul

• veeja11
    19 years ago

wow !! I have a wonderful sp thankyou for the great gifts, lillies, stationary, beautifull plant stake, stationary, pretty flower pot, memo pad. thankyou pal I loved it.
    thankyou carol

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Sounds like everyone has scored in a big way here! I'm having so much fun with this and am amazed at how smoothly everything is going.

Dusty, I hope you feel better really soon. Sorry to hear that you're sick. Maybe that chocolate and caramel cocoa will help to put you on the mend.

Hope everyone had a very happy, love filled day with their loved ones.

Nancy

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

Hi, Garden Pal Buddies, Thanks for the Birthday and Valentine's Wishes. I had a great day for my birthday last week, and my middle DS turned 5 last Friday, so it was a fun week. Today has been a beautiful and warm day and I enjoyed having the windows open. I'd enjoy it even more if my asthma wasn't acting up and I could stop coughing : (. Hope you all had a great Valentine's Day and that the sun was shinning in your heart and on your face even if it might not have been shinning in the sky for you = ) Have a Great Week!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    19 years ago

Have to admit it was raining( a lot) here I but had a great day. I saw the first crocus in my yard, went to breakfast with the girls and got flowers from my sweetie. Not bad for a fat old lady. LOL
    Happy valentines to Y'all

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

Beth! You see flowers already!!! All I see is snow, snow and more snow! Will be quite some time before I see my Snowdrops.. let alone Crocus!

Nancy, Thank you for the good wishes! Not a good time to get ill.. that's for sure! And the Cocoa was wonderful!!! Yum Yum Yummy!

Shirley, Will get back to ya with the birthdate(if you believe that you're crazier than I am! lol) But in the mean time, Lil T's birthday(Teresa_Ohio) is May 15. :) Hey Lil T.. did you get any of those chocolates or did your cute hubby chow down? (Her hubby loves chocolate!) Everyone keep your fingers crossed, if all goes well, Lil T will be here in the next few weeks to help me get my shop ready to open! Is she the bomb or what!

Want to wish everyone a happy birthday and as usual I am late!

Love reading about all the great gifts everyone is sending and recieving! Good group of folks here!

Tally Ho!

~Dusty~

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Oh WOW what timing I received my treasured Valentine gifts yesterday right on Valentine's Day.
    I got the most beautiful butterfly windchime. (My husband wants to join now). I never mentioned on my list how I love butterflies BUT I DO. I also got candy conversation hearts. YUM And the most darling little silver basket. Everything was decorated beautifully with valentine tissue paper and little valentine cut-outs.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such a nice Valentine box.

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

i mailed my pal's gift out yesterday, i'm sure it will be there before she gets back from her travels.

happy belated valentine's day
    happy birthday to ilsonshone and daisy me

the weather is decent here the last couple of days, even though we have had some rain, the temp has been good. it's washed away a lot of the snow. today is supposed to maybe hit 60 and i see the sun peeking out. i don't have flowers yet, but i still have the green tips of all the bulbs that started blooming before we got the snow. i hope it didn't damage any of them.

well, since it's such a gorgeous day out, that's where i am going. putting on the mud boots and getting outside to clean up and dream.

enjoy what's left of february, it sure goes quickly, doesn't it?

• daisy_me
    19 years ago

Thanks for the early birtday wish EarthlyDelights. I'm turning 30 again this year! LOL!

And Beth isn't the only one with early flowers. I discovered several yellow Crocus blooming yesterday, only to have my better-half inform me they've been blooming for 3 days.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Dusty, what kind of shop are you opening? Are you going to have goods/goodies we can get mail order for our Garden Circle Pals?????

We've had crocuses blooming since mid January- a very mild El Nino winter until last night when it dropped down to a teeth-chattering 20º!!! Brrrr, clear and cold all week for us. Yesterday, freakish snow and hail moved through Seattle. I had 2 inch flakes falling for a few minutes- just huge. Sorry for the blurriness but those hummers were falling to earth fast.

Despite it all, the mighty little crocus try to stand tough.

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Dusty - Yes do tell us what kind of shop you are opening. If I lived close I would also come and help.

EarthlyDelights - Yes February is almost gone. I have daffodils up and they are looking for Spring.

Annie - 20 Degrees? Whew that's cold. Liked the picture of the snow falling. We used to get lots of snow in the Winter but not anymore. It seems it misses us and hits all around us. Macon County is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it just goes around us.

Shirley

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

Pooch! lol! I was in WV(Harpers Ferry) for 3 weeks last month! You all are funny when it comes to cold and snow! If it's 20 here we're shedding our coats! Heat wave today! It's 33! Break out the t-shirts!
    I'm opening a flower (florist) shop along with a gift shop. So yes, I'll have lots of goods and goodies! Fun and exciting and scarry all at the same time!
    Shirley... Daff's! Already!!! I know I must live in the wrong state! But I'd miss the snow... Sick eh!

~Dusty~

• ronda_m
    19 years ago

Thanks Bunches to my pal.. I got a wonderful variety in todays mail: 3 types of bath gels, 2 types of herbal tea, a metal bug to hang off a planter.. (It's too cute has marbles twisted inside for the body and beads inside the wings..)A bird wind chime with wings that move, a note pad with a flower cover and a candy bar.. I will enjoy all of it especially the card with a note from you..
    Hope you had a nice Valentines Day.. Thanks again RondaM

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

My Secret Pal is just the coolest! In addition to the box she sent me, I also received a card in the mail today with seeds and some stickers for DD. Thanks so much!

I'm jealous of everyone who has things blooming already! It'll be close to 2 more months before things start popping up here.

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I love reading everyone's posts! Today was unusually warm for St. Louis. almost hit 70 degrees! Nothing is blooming yet, but the buds are swollen, and my crocus I am forcing inside started blooming yesterday. I went outside and cut back half of my privet hedge yesterday (It has been neglected by the previous owner for years so I am going to try and rejeuvenate it) and today I cut back perennials, and saw signs of life!!! It is supposed to be back to reality soon, with a low of 31 degrees tonight. But the last couple days sure make spring seem close!

It looks like I will have to start a new February thread soon, that's great. I love that everyone talks to each other.

I am already gearing up for our March pal swap....I should join more swaps, I think I have too much time or something, seems like the stuff I want to send piles up faster than the months go by to send it, he he. Pretty soon we can start sending some actual plants! I have several things started in my basement under lights, and I can't wait to share.

Later,

YaYa

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

DH and I had a lovely Valentine's Day. He bought me flowers and then took me out to dinner. It was 79 degrees in Little Rock today. I had to go for training and we had an hour off for lunch, grabbed a quick sandwich and then loitered on the downtown street just enjoying the sunshine. Oh, what I'd have given to get to play outside all day! Tomorrow it's back into the 40's if the weatherman is right this time. You know they usually aren't. Years ago we had a meteorologist who was pregnant and she got it right on the money every time then when she had the baby it seems like she was never right again. lol Go figure! I love the snow too and wish we had more of it but along with the snow we'd have to learn to drive in it and get more equipment to handle clearing the roads. People from the north always laugh at us for not knowing how to drive. Drive heck, we can't even walk in it half the time! Nancy

• Aprils_Garden
    19 years ago

Thank you, thank you Secret Pal! I received my package right on Valentines Day! I got a beautiful card, a little stuffed bear with Best Friend on his T-shirt, a great pair of gardening gloves and a heart box of Mrs. Fields chocolates! The chocolates were wonderful (yes, I already ate them up! LOL) the gloves will be wonderful and are really making me wish for spring and I had to protect my bear from the kids. It is so exciting to get my special package every month and my family is always really excited too!

All of this talk and pictures of flowers is making me a bit jealous! We are under a winter snow advisory or some such thing right now with predictions of 3 to 9 inches of snow expected across the area overnight...guess who is in the 9 inch band?? Can't wait to see what I wake up to tomorrow!

It is great hearing all the news and chatting from everyone...this is such a supportive group!

April

• mellen
    19 years ago

Dear Secret Pal, You have touched my heart. Such luxuries you have sent to me--sweet pea bath salts, waterlily body scrub, jasmine rose with aloe vera and papaya extracts shower gel, sheer freesia body lotion, self-heating red clay mask, Dead Sea mineral mask, rich apricot warm mask, gentle cream milk scrub, cherry and iced mint tired leg gel, and the largest body pouff ball I have ever used. I love the gel mask, the heart-shaped pink candle wrapped so elegantly in netting and the contrasting silk green bow. Chocolates! Burts Bee's lip balm--I'm anxious to try. I have a sister in Texas who loves it. I hope I can express to you how deeply appreciative I am to you. I know the time you must have taken to put all of this together, and I'm guessing you had some fun, too. I know I would have had a ball doing this--I LOVE doing this sort of thing, too. Did you pick scents that you liked? If so, we have the same likes. Honestly! I would have chosen every one of these for myself. I have used freesia and sweet pea lotions--I just love their freshness with a little bit of flower scent. Dearest pal, I also want to express my apologies for my lateness in posting here. My husband and I went to Hawaii for a 10-day cruise around the islands. He ended up getting sick during the cruise. By the time we got back to Iowa we went directly to our Dr. before even coming home, and he was put in the hospital--which is where I have been. I just wanted you to know that I was not putting off my thank you to you. Again, secret pal, you are a treasure and a gift to me. You have really lifted my spirits. I hope at some point I can do the same for you. Mellen

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

A big thank you to my SP! I received a 2005 calendar with BEAUTIFUL floral scenery that is now hanging next to my computer, a floral notepad with matching pen and magnet, a darling pressed flower keychain (I needed a new key chain!), seeds, homemade seed packets, chocolates and a valentine card along with some valentine erasers which I gave to my two boys that really liked them, and a nice note. Thanks SP! You're the greatest.
    Theresa

• sandlapper_rose
    19 years ago

Thank you for the sympathy card, Garden Circle Exchange Pal. That was very thoughtful. There is not a lot new here with me. We have beautiful weather today, but this is the time of the year when it changes from day to day so we will see what is ahead.

Sandlapper Rose

• PlantladyJan
    19 years ago

Dusty your new shop sounds great!! I want to join Teresa and you in setting it up!! Wow what a fun project!!! Best wishes for your new business. Remember destress and enjoy!!

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

Mellen, I hope your DH gets better very soon. Nancy

• teresa_ohio
    19 years ago

Woohoo!! I've got spring bulbs starting to come up!! It was 62 degrees here yesterday, but then of course last night we got ice and snow.. I've got spring fever really bad now. I'm ready to start digging in those flower beds. :)

Dusty, Andy always beats me to the candy! lol. You can't hide anything sweet from him. Yep, he's dying to come up there with me, we'll send the guys skiing while we play at the flower shop! Or we could just put them to work for us and then we get to do all the fun stuff. lol.. Jan, you can come too! You can catch a ride with us! And Shirley, you can start the caravan and we'll all meet up together and head up! lol. Wouldn't that be a blast? Trust me, I've been to Dusty's last year, we had such a great time. She's such a sweetheart! Dusty, you know I love ya!! :) Now you better hurry up and get well!!

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day. Mellen, I hope your husband is feeling better soon!

How many days til spring?? Teresa

• ronda_m
    19 years ago

I think Spring has come to East Texas.. My Daffs are blooming and my new addition Snakes head Iris bloomed already...It's so ugly it's cute.. The Purple Martins have arrived just this week..Now we are sure to have a frost and bite the heads off everything.. I have buckets on stand by..
    Poochella I love the crocus.. Mine came up but did not bloom..
    Ronda

• Euphoria526
    19 years ago

I have the best secret pal ever- I got chocolate, incense matches, and a colouring book of stained glass fairies....clear plasticy paper with fairy outlines you can colour or paint or whatever and hang in a window. She always sends me all this fantastic stuff I think i'm too mature to buy but end up enjoying so much. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you again.

• ilsonshine
    19 years ago

HEY, I just got a priority package from my Secret Garden Pal! Boy! these box flaps sure are stuck together good. Let's see... it has a nice heart box of chocolates 'For Someone Special' yum, "I'm Special,I'm Special", and a cute hardcover Gardener's Journal with designs of garden tools, gloves, watering cans, flowers/vegies, and plants in pots. Thank You Secret Pal o' mine : ) that's sweeet of you ; )

I think this is my first official Gardening Journal. Maybe all you circle pals will share your ideas with me and others of what all you put in your journals. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Thanks for your b-day wishes, circle pals. It's nice knowing others we don't even know are thinking of us.

Dusty, Good Luck/God's Blessings with opening the flower/gift shop. My brother has had one for 32+ years and sometimes it sure seems like it runs him instead of the other way around. But it is nice to see all the pretty flowers. Are you also a designer, will ya have arrangements? What a challenge and maybe a dream coming true??

Pooch, your pictures are nice. Thanks for sharing. We have some tulips up but not blooming yet. I hope the sporadic weather won't hurt them (heat up, chill off, back and forth... it's literally making us sick with allergies/colds/asthma acting up).

Thegardenangel-mamabear4-DustyDigger-Teresa_Ohio, what's the deal of withholding your B-Day Date?? They never asked for the year, just the month and date. Aaaawww, come on, won't you share your special day with us, your pals?

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Ronda, maybe your crocus will bloom yet, don't give up on them. It seems like one day you see green leaves, then a slight swelling, then a bud creeps out overnight!

I should have taken another photo of those crocuses- they looks so frosty and cold (even though Dusty would be out weeding in her "it's 30º, it's a heatwave" T shirt! LOL) later on the sun came out and those babies popped right open, a lovely little sea of purple/lavender.

Dusty, I spent 23 years in the confines of Minnesota. I know cold. The coldest temp I ever saw, not windchill, was -38º maybe lower and I'm just blocking it out-- and the windchill then was -75º. I went skiing once at -22, really tough to keep your nose and eyeballs thawed out. You have to be tough (aka stupid) to do that!

My teenage car was about a 16 ton Pontiac Bonneville. One morning I went out to "warm it up" in really true bone- chilling cold well below zero. No cloth seats then: we had bubble plastic seat covers, colder than heck on the back side! I didn't realize quite how cold it was until I drove off some minutes later: the car tires had frozen flat where the weight of the car flattened out the tires parked overnight. So when I drove, it was thumpety thump, thumpety thump down the ice cold streets until the friction warmed them into round tires again!

Ilsonshine- I have never kept a garden journal but one thing I tried "tried-" (meaning I remembered to do it for about a week) last year was log in bloom times of various perennials in various beds, ostensibly to plan better placement and remind myself of what I can count on to bloom, when. If I had a dime for every notebook or stray piece of paper with garden notes on it around this house I'd be retired and organized if I ever got them all in one place. I'm thinking my Circle Pal's file box might come in real handy to get garden notes organized too. Yippee: I picked up file dividers and note cards to fit that box the other day!

Five weeks to Spring! Five weeks to Spring! Spread the word. Better get some of my 'winter' stuff done soon.
    (or it will wait til next winter)
    Poochella

• dustydigger
    19 years ago

lol!! Pooch! I love your below zero story! I've never heard of that happeing before! I don't like the weather when it gets below zero! But come this time of the year, I do shed some layers when we hit 30. Weird how our bodies adjust to the cold so fast! If it were Novemeber, I'd have been adding layers. It's 12 here so I'll have to sport my flannel today! It's a 3 layer day!

Ilsonshine, I do like Pooch and keep notes on when certain plants bloom, which perennials do better where.. I have several different large gardens in different places around the house... and some plants do better than others in certain locations.
    Yes, I am a self taught designer also.. so I'll have arrangements and the works...I have a good name already established... folks like my work, so it gives me a small jump on things. I did it for years for someone else.... thinking the whole time, I'm making him a lot of cash.. I should be doing this for me! Well, in 2003 my youngest son's best friend, since they were 4, passed away after an eight year battle with cancer(he was 5 the first time he got it) and well to say the least my son was very depressed.. So I left my job in late May this year to be home with him during the summer, hoping he'd get over his depression..(he did) and spent the time thinking hard about my own shop. Went on my last vacation and took a long one at that, came home, bought a place for my shop and here we go! Just waiting to sign the closing papers now. I'm very excited about it!
    I didn't give my birthdate because I'm uncomfortable with folks making a big deal out of my birthday. Always have been.

Lil T, I didn't think you got any of that candy! lol If Andy comes with you, I'll be sure to feed his sweet tooth! Won't have time to bake so I'll just get a bunch of candy bars! lol

Everyone's getting some great stuff! Love hearing of all the goodies traveling across the states!

Hope you all have a great day!

~Dusty~

• yayagreen2000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm starting a new February Thread

YaYa