SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Beautiful bugs and flying saucers in the back yard ....

It's a rainy day, I've finished my few chores, the mulch guy is off playing his trumpet at a retirement home and dancing with the little ole' ladies, (they love him -- he's a good hugger and knows how to dance with them ignoring their walkers and wheel chairs) so I thought I'd scan through my photos and find some of my favorite bug pictures to show you.

Now don't say "ug" when I say "bug" or worse yet "eeeewww." Bugs are some of the cutest things you ever saw.

Think "toy" and think how not all toys are soft and cuddly, but they are cleverly designed, cute and fun when you know how to play with them. Well, I play with them, bugs that is, by observing them and taking portraits of them at work and play. Sometimes they play with me by showing up in a picture when I didn't even know they were there.

I think maybe I garden as much for the insects as I do for the flowers and they reward me by sharing the utterly creative artistic designs of their body forms and colors and sometimes give me a peek into how they make their livings.

We'll start with something everybody loves -- butterflies! But will someone please tell me why the silver polka dotted Gulf Frit thinks a white fur vest goes with the rest of her outfit? She looks a little shocked and like she is wondering herself!

This tiny moth, not even the size of a fingernail, rates a gold trimmed gossamer cape thrown over her shoulders, antenna thrown back like a flowing diadem ...

These colorful civilized cats (seeming to say "You go first. No, you go first!") are about as close to soft and cuddly you get in the insect world ...

You've got to admit this sleek bug is just plain handsome while out strolling in the rain dressed in his sharp black and red tux ...

The playboy jewel tone bee seems very proud of his colors and patiently poses on a leaf before buzzing off ...

While little this bee, emerald green, though small lives up to the family name of 'Busy' ...

Wasp or bee? He acts like a bee being very busy polinating, but shaped like a wasp. They've appear in fairly large numbers on the bronze fennel, the only thing I've seen them on. Pretty guy ...

Now if you didn't look closely and notice this is a grasshopper you'd think for sure the Fire Bush bloom had sported to a more interesting flower color ...

Ants are in every other flower I poke my camera into. This striped one is on garlic chives. And they are all different kinds of ants! Who knows what long symbiotic relationships plants and ants enjoy? There are many studies about that very thing going on. Some plants have little pores on their stems that produce a sweet substance to reward the ants for keeping them free of pests. Smart plant!

Our cute little light hearted colorful bee again. Here he peers down the daylily canyon. He's probably eyeing an ant down there ...

The comic relief in the garden are these smart aleck sly eyed little spiders. This one says "Buzz off. This is my territory!" ...

This one has backed off and is hiding after all of his many eyes sees more than he can chew ...

Hey! Who needs to go to Roswell? Flying saucers in minature right are landing in our own backyards ....

But have no fear. Sleek wide-eyed soldier bugs are here -- their handsome uniforms are complete with ample shoulder pads ...

Who says bugs aren't fun?

Comments (15)