SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomchefmark

Unhappy with mail order tomatoes

heirloomchefmark
14 years ago

I wanted to ask for a sanity check before I raise more of a fuss. I don't want to divulge the vendor just yet.

I recently ordered some heirloom tomato plants to make a minimum order for a site I was ordering some unusual stuff from, I couldn't find another source for my main reason for ordering. The site guaranteed healthy delivery, and I really wanted the other stuff I was ordering, enough to pay nearly $5 each for the plants with shipping.

When the order came two day UPS, I opened the box and found the tomatoes bent 90 degrees because they were so tall they wouldn't fit in the box. Additionally, the leaves were yellow and curled and the plants just generally looked sick. My first thought was that they shipped me stuff they couldn't sell to people in person, I certainly wouldn't have picked one of them up at a nursery.

I set them on a shelf next to a couple of mine, took a picture and emailed a complaint.

{{gwi:1316921}}

I got a response back that the plants were healthy, and they were just older than mine in the picture.

I pulled one of my 6 week old plants out, it was just potted up yesterday. Set it side by side with their older, "healthy" plant and took another picture. I replied, attached the next three pictures and as nicely as I could said I didn't believe what I recieved would be considered healthy. I haven't heard back yet.

{{gwi:1316922}}

I grow a LOT of tomatoes from seed, I don't consider what I got healthy. The leaves look like they've got a virus or something, they're all curled and yellow except for new leaves.

{{gwi:1316923}}

{{gwi:1316924}}

Do these look sick to anyone else, or am I being overly critical because I baby my own plants?

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County