SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

would you help me choose please?

Hello Tomato people! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me pick out some tomatoes. I have read a bit about some of them online already, but I would love your comments and opinions on them. I know that it mostly depends upon climate, weather, and placement, but I do want to avoid any true duds or ones that are just not worth my time in growing.

It all started last year, when I tasted my first SunGold. I loved it! Ever since then I have been plotting to grow some unique and new-to-me varieties.

I wanted to buy some plants (maybe start them by seed in the future) this year. But the online places were a little $$. I just recently found a local place that sells over 116 varieties of tomatoes, each plant under $3 or under. The tomato lady has a website, from which I have made a list.

I want to try a green tomato, a black(ish) tomato, a large yellow(ish) tomato, a good red, some heirlooms, and a few other novelty kinds.

I have grown tomatoes in pots for quite awhile. I find they do well here in pots, and plan to do even more this year. The only expectations I have for the tomatoes is that they have a good flavor and produce a reasonable amout of fruit, can tolerate our weather, and are hopefully not prone to desease and cracking.

Here is a list of the types I am really interested in:

Cherry:

Green Grape

Black Cherry

Italian Ice (read that this one isn't that great in the taste department)

"Unusuals":

Black Truffle

Lemon Boy (read its a stinker)

Razzleberry

Carbon

Red Lightning (not great ratings on this one)

Green Zebra

Heirloom:

Brandywine

Amana Orange (not high in flavor?)

Aunt Ruby's German Green (mixed reviews)

Kellogg's Breakfast (mixed reviews)

Pineapple

Georgia Streak

Marvel Stripe

Aunt Gertie's Gold (very low production?)

Virginia Sweets

Golden Queen (USDA strain) (low production?)

White Queen

Tangerine

Great White (low production?)

Dr. Wycke's Yellow

Mortgate Lifter

Vintage Wine

Cherokee Purple

Thank you all in advance!!

CMK

Comments (12)