SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

What have you learned since...

Eggo
17 years ago

okay folks, what have you learned since starting this odd obsession with things tropical fruit? Anything. Here's my list.

1)Never, never, never try repotting a tropical fruit plant during cooler weather especially in the middle of winter. They don't grow stems or more roots during this time and their not really dormant like deciduous plants. If it looks like you may have some soil problem, move the plant to a better location, add warmth and humidity. Then pray that it makes it to spring. Once growth resumes, then repot. I would wait after the first growth flush hardens up.

2)Certain potting soils just turn to mud after a few years being potted. Either repot often or use a more better mixture. That's why I mix in pete moss these days, its keeps the PH low and decomposes very slowly. Also lots of tropicals love to be on the acid side of the soil PH level, some much much more than others. For example, miracle fruit can be grown in pure pete moss. Even maprang does well in almost pure pete moss. Of course, you never really want most plants to have this acid of a soil but its good to experiment.

3)Cool and wet is bad. Keep the soil damp not wet. Cut back on the watering during cooler weather, the roots will rot. I've seen mangos grow in flooded rice paddy fields in Southeast Asia but imagine if the weather is cool as it is here, those plants would die.

4)Growing lychees from seeds is a waste of time!! =)

I've grown dozens of them as seeds, none really ever gets to any kind of decent size. They have all sorts of problems, slow growing, nutritional problems, etc. Grows too slow in this weather of mine. I've had one get to 3 ft but that was a rare occurence. Really their so easy to find known good cultivars why try seeds, its not worth the effort. In contrast, I've had two seedling longans bloom now. Longans grow faster and take care of themselves easier.

Well this has been my experience, others may be different. I'll add more.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996