SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 4/8/11

hmhausman
13 years ago

Wanted to do a mini- follow up on some happenings. On the mango front, there is good and bad news. First the bad....we had a major squall line roll through this week that knocked literally thousands of small mangoes off the trees. Here's a representative shot. For some good ole depression, just multiply what you see here by about 100 plus trees.

On the good side, looks like it is going to be close between Kau Dwarf (pictured first) and Nam Doc Mai (pictured second) as to which will be the first fully mature mango of the season. Jean Ellen (pictured thrid, isn't far behind).

Also, some trees like Rosigold, Carrie and Pim Saen Mun, pictured below, are re-blooming after not setting or losing their intial fruit set.

One of my seedling abius is just blooming the heck out of itself. Of course, the one next to it is not blooming and so there will be no opportunity for cross pollination (not that cross pollination is supposed to be necessary). Let's see if I get any fruit set.

On the lychee front, I continue to be dissappointed with Sweetheart. While they are still relative newcomers to the yard, I think they should be doing more to hold fruit than what they are doing.

Sweetheart #1

Sweetheart #2

Especially when compared to everything else lychee-wise.

Like, Bosworth 3 (Kwai Mai Pink)

And Hak Ip

Farwell Ranch

Peerless

Early Large Red

Even looking at a representative pannicle of Brewster

I have been trying to hand pollinate the vanilla blooms. No sign of success as of yet.

Pomegranate cutting given to me by Murahilin, I think originally from JSVand5

Puerto Rico mangosteen seedlings....doing their slow, slow progress on the growth front.

Cherimoya seedling (Fino de Jete, I believe)...thanks Andrew

This is a Eugenia of some sort that has fruited in a pot. The fruit is pretty good. It is sort of a cross between Barabados Cherry (acerola) and Surinam Cherry in taste. If anyone can ID it for sure, please let me know. I was once advised that it was called Monos Plum. Which I know means Monkey Plum in Spanish. The closest thing that I see to it anywhere on the internet is at Logees which is calling it: Eugenia reinwardtiana "Australian Beach Cherry." Looks like this may be it.

Comments (9)