SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheloolie

can my plants survive late blight?

sheloolie
13 years ago

I'm surprised not to see recent posts about late blight, which is decimating tomatoes in my neighborhood again this summer. We have had our typical June coastal fog lasting pretty much all day for the past 6 weeks, perfect conditions for it to develop. Plants are damp from around midnight until 3 the next afternoon. Everything looked pretty good when I left for a week's vacation, but when I came home end of June most of my plants had the grey/brown leaf spots, some stems getting brown and brittle.

I thought for a while some plants might survive as I kept removing the affected leaves, but now there is only one left, a Better Boy, that is not seriously damaged. Much green fruit on the others, and it is beginning to develop the brown, hard spots. Other varieties I have planted are Stupice, Sungold, Early Girl, and Druzba. I had heard that Early Girl and Stupice might be a bit resistant, but an Early Girl was the first one hit, Stupice a few weeks later (and those are planted close to each other).

But there is new growth on virtually all the plants (only a dozen plants) and so I am wondering if I should just keep taking off the diseased parts and hope that with drier weather (typical later in summer here) some plants might recover and still produce some fruit. We can typically grow tomatoes into October, even November, in this area, so there's a long potential season ahead.

Have others had plants come back from serious infection to produce some fruit?

Until last year, I never had serious problems with disease in tomatoes.

I have peppers and eggplant planted in with the tomatoes and neither are affected, even though they're solanaceous. Also every year I get dozens of volunteer tomatillo plants which are very vigorous growers and producers. I wonder if the spores could be overwintering in tomatillo seed in the beds. Have read both that spores don't overwinter (that infection has to come from new infected seedlings) and that spores DO overwinter--in soil, in seed. Which is correct? Does anyone know?

I could use some good advice about what to do now that it has struck. Thanks for listening....

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES