SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rodzuf

My To be Terrarium (long post but need help)

rodzuf
19 years ago

Ok guys im new here, ive been lurking for a while and its now time to start the "master" plan. Really to be honest i'm going to be taking so much from one guy but customizing it to my needs. Please be critical and kind :P this is my going to be my second terr the first is a 9 gallon upright tank i made that has mostly tropical plants and a few air plants ...whatever there called. From what i read i think i have the high light ones which could explain why i havent had the best of luck with them. I plan to read alot about the diffrent species as I go im a avid "browser"/techie. My plan is to setup something like poison-frogs.nl has setup. I plan to use 1/2 half inch plywood.. already sanded..ie 7.65 sanded at Home depot. He measurements are 24inches wide by 4 feet tall. I plan on using these precut pieces of plywood on both sides and the back. The bottom will of course be the same but cut down to fit in. I plan on painting these with marine epoxy paint to water proof (dont know where to get that yet)I plan on putting it all togerther then epoxying it and siliconing it.......if needed I will use pondliner like poisen-frog did (do I need this?) I plan on using a glass divider at the bottom like he did as well as a one piece glass/wood door (prolly a piano hinge. I plan on expiremening with pvc piping, foam, and silka (or something like it since i live in cincy ohio) Im really intrested in this part as it looks like a great challange to get it realistic. I plan on using an airbrush to paint the finished product with acrlic paint and possibly sealing it with some kind of polyetherne( dont know what I will use to seal it as I dont know what is non toxic/waterproof and dries almost completly clear. One question I have as well is do you all think I will need to reinforce the 1.2 in plywood with someking of two by fours since this will be a free standing unit.(think poisen-frog.nl only freestanding. Most other things will be modeled after his. Any suggestion anyone.

Thanks for reading my long post I hope you all can help but before I go let me turn you on to another /exxpensive/obsesive hobby i currently have. You all may already be in to this but if no i think you will like it.

http://nano-reef.com

Thanks again

Rodney

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH