SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_wench

still need help - some updated pics, long post

garden_wench
17 years ago

This house has been tough to landscape, it still loooks bad and "choppy" to me. I just want it to look more polished and together. I can't add window planters, change door or shutter color, or other structural changes. I'm looking for what size and shape plant to place where. So here goes, any ideas for artistically challenged me? I can move any shrub, except the yews and hollies. But I still want to rip out the yews near driveway. This side of house faces east.

"BEFORE" photo

{{gwi:26757}}

Made these changes: planted some fothergilla and sweet box under tree near drive, along with some coral bell, tiarella, etc.

Placed nelly stevens holly in line with sidewalk steps, but thinking of adding 2 more for trio.

Planted 2 dwarf bird's nest spruce under picture window to "echo" its shape. In same bed, moved small holly, added perennials and 2 more magic carpet spirea.

Want to plant more lily turf at side walk corner to soften edges.

Ripped off old ratty, astroturf and replaced with big welcome mat on front landing.

NEW front of house, want to add 8-10' tall slender or vase shaped shrubs on either corner of house.

{{gwi:46653}}

{{gwi:46654}}

Use just purchased blue planters for some rounded evergreen, add perennials & annuals seasonally? (small terra cotta planters can go elsewhere) Extend front landing with pavers? I can move out any perennial or smaller shrub here.

{{gwi:46655}}

front near driveway and steps, really want yews gone but replace with what?

{{gwi:46656}}

More lily turf and some heavenly bamboo on either side of walk?

{{gwi:46658}}

Above pic is area under picture window, probably not the best pic but I really want to get this planting done right. Mums can be moved. (white buckets are gone!)

Sorry such a long post. I'd love to hear ideas. Thanks.

Comments (9)