SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljbrandt

Update #1 to beginner needs help (Another LONG post)

ljbrandt
14 years ago

Well, my wife and I were finally able to get a start on a few of the gardening projects this weekend. The following are some before and after pictures of the assignments you guys gave to me after my original posting! Just a reminder, we are both novices to gardened but we'd love to hear your comments.

1st project - Sago palms

Before: Obvious winter damage to plant

Solution: Remove all yellow fronds and hope for the best in June

{{gwi:245428}}

After

{{gwi:359361}}

{{gwi:359362}}

{{gwi:359363}}

{{gwi:359364}}

{{gwi:359365}}

Note: after pruning all the fronds, I noticed a black tarp-like material tucked around the base of the sagos...not sure what that was for.

2nd project - Ligustrums

Before: In desperate need of care

Solution: Remove all suckers/dead branches and continue prune to treeform.

{{gwi:245443}}

After (showing both)

{{gwi:359366}}

{{gwi:359367}}

Note - Noticed one of the main trucks had a large hole at the bottom, but it still seems healthy and producing leaving at the top! Strange. Also, noticed what looked like some mold growing on the limbs - should I be concerned?

{{gwi:359368}}

{{gwi:359370}}

3rd project - Cherry (or maybe peach) tree

Before: In need of TLC

Solution: Remove stake and binding and all suckers

{{gwi:245459}}

After

{{gwi:359371}}

{{gwi:359372}}

Notes - Noticed after everything had been removed the truck is leaning slightly to the left. I'd like to give the tree some time to recuperate, but wondering if that eventually needs to be corrected. Also, can see a visible dark ring around the truck where the binding used to be, ouch!

4th project - Euonymus

Before: In desperate need of hedging

Solution: Hedge!

{{gwi:245444}}

After

{{gwi:359373}}

Note - All the credit goes to my wife on this one :-)

5th project - Mondo grass or liriope (I'm guessing liriope since they bare little blue berries)

Before: Recommend remove old growth

Solution: Since I read these are hardy plants, I wasn't too shy with the lawn mower and weed wacker :-0

{{gwi:245434}}

After

{{gwi:359374}}

Font walkway

{{gwi:359375}}

Well, I think we got off to a good start! We'll just have to wait until next weekend to continue...once again, thanks to all those who got us pointed in the right direction - always glad to hear from you guys :-)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County