SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Some Valentine Deserves a Huge Thank You!

Poochella
19 years ago

Well I was just flabbergasted and still am to find the most wonderful, beautiful and artful box laden with goodies from my fill-in Valentine from Cassie's swap, I assume. I can't thank her enough and whoever you are- my dog and I both adore you!

I got a dog Valentine, I got a dog Valentine! How appropriate and how tasteful as there was no dog spit in this card LOL. Until, that is, until the never ending sniffer in the house scouted out home made delicious dog treats along with the recipe and heart cookie cutter in the box. I'm telling you she loves the treats, and I was tempted to chow down a couple as I arrived home very late and very hungry tonight.

I am still staring at the beautiful rose covered gift bag, didn't even want to open it, but you only live once.....

Before I did, there were more goodies in the box all wrapped in lovely tissue: hot pink garden gloves. If I get lost in the yard they will find me easily in those. Knowing me they will not be pretty very long : ( as tis the season for dirtying things up around here! To start of my day: double chocolate ghiardelli coffee YUM, and of course breakfast is important so my pal sent a humongous bar of creamy milk chocolate! Delightful.

There is a lovely picture frame painted with the cutest blue bird house with ivy climbing its post- if you made that Pal, you are very creative! I will find a wonderful garden photo to go in it. More, more? oh yes there's more.. the fuzziest softest and warmest knit scarf in those new frilly yarns in teal, lavender and white I think(I have my neck wrapped up snuggly in it and I can't see the colors LOL) I might sleep in it: never dreamed it could be so warm.

Inside the prettiest gift bag I've ever seen were even more treats: sweet pea bubble bath and body splash- I can't get enough of sweet peas and enjoyed my first real successful harvest of them last year. If I fail to repeat the harvest this year, I can just spritz or soak away and pretend I grew sweet peas.

Last but not least seed packets of cuttable flowers I will be able to share in a vase with others! They are perfect seed choices and my only regret is that I will have to hurt the really pretty envelopes containing them.

Super Valentine Pal you have gone above the call in your generosity, creativity and darn fine wrapping! I am so grateful to be remembered by such a wonderful person. If I could find out who you are, I think I'd like to subscribe to that New England trait of 'outgifting' a giver, but would be hard pressed to beat this wonderful collection of surprises.

You have my warmest thanks and a big smooch from the real pooch!

Annie

Comments (41)

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Annie... your pal wants you to suffer a little like everyone did. She wants me to tell you that you would have gotten your package sooner except she had a great lake snowstorm!!! Laughing

Cassie

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How am I suppose to guess now?!! The Great Lakes cover alot of turf. I'll have to start investigating who lives where. Weather.com for historical snow storms might be helpful too.

I am very grateful to whomever stepped up to be my Valentine and I'll find a way to thank you, believe you me. Feel free to post some hints though!
    Annie

• Related Discussions

I think this lady deserves some support

Q

Comments (21)
    Brendan- Even Alaska! It is truly shocking and amazing that it is illegal to try to live sustainably in Alaska. Wow. In terms of HGTV, whatever. Their programing is becomeing completely out of touch. Maybe some of you guys can post my link for me. Shameless self promotion isn't as good as other people shamelessly promoting me(LOL). Thanks for the support. Red- Your right about HGTV as well. Thats why I'm trying to grass roots this message. It's easy to ignore on person, but people listen to numbers. So push my link around to everyone you know, it actually helps and gives me a leg to stand on when I meet with Network execs. On to your questions: I was spinning my own blend of Angora(bunny)and Pygora(Mini angora goat)with a small amount of Alpaca some nice folks in Upstate new york sent me. The goats and the rabbits are from my herd. My family does it the fish. We have two smaller ponds that are for the fry(babies) and teenagers, they grow out in the big pond as seen in the video. You're the first person to ask me about the show chickens! Because I live in the city I wanted birds that didn't scream chicken. I wanted them to match(Grey and Black) and be fluffy like the rest of my livestock. They make a great conversation starter and are quite entertaining. I'm making a companion book for the tv show. Check out my new peeps at www.peakoil.com as well. They have some great stuff as well. But please post my link around folks I really need help if I'm gonna get this seen! Thanks again, Patti http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-882082844236943883&q=filmshack&hl=en
    ...See More

a huge thank you to david (dwlcrl)

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that dwlcrl is a tomatoholic (much like myself) and he is looking to enable others to become one too. That's a good thing! You might want to post a thank you and review at the link below...the review thread that has been started for him at The Rate and Review Forum. Sue...an admitted tomatoholic Here is a link that might be useful: dwlcrl review thread
    ...See More

Please help vote for some deserving projects in the Michigan UP

Q

Comments (7)
    I hope people read the whole thing. It shows a breakdown of how the funds will be spent. this one from Arizona, entered by a politician is one I absolutely would NOT vote for. . . $ 1,500 Outreach & promotion $ 21,000 Staff & experts $ 23,000 Training expenses $ 4,500 Travel & lodging Only $1,000 for the actual outreach... True government in action! More government, not so much help to citizens I will go check out the ones you list!
    ...See More

A HUGE Thank You to my GW friends

Q

Comments (6)
    You can't do that with a computer! Our current school mantra is how wonderful technology is. I'm so glad there are people who do it hands-on. Talk about living the experience!!! This is also one of those things that I remind people when we all get to heaven we're going to sit on clouds and hear all the stories. You'll hear all about the kid who never planted a seed until they met you...the kid who took the tomato plant home for the summer and harvested 100 pounds of tomatoes and fed his 3 sisters and 2 brothers and saved seed for next year...the kid who took home a flower and their grandmother started talking about her flowers when she was a kid. We'll have eternity to hear the great stories!! Nobody will care about who died with the biggest pile of money or that they were buried in their Gucci shoes. It's the stories that will live! You're a living blessing! Heidi
    ...See More
  • MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Annie, your first hint is that we didn't get even one flake of snow here this entire season.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL! Mud Mom! Was it you? Or are you ruling yourself out? I read of your maddening trip from here to there and back again and to the post office line and pray all that travel wasn't on my account. If it was, I thank you whole heartedly again and again- it was an awfully beautiful box that I am enjoying very much!

Like the wicked witch said, "I'll get you, my pretty!"
    Annie- wondering how she will ever pack a scepter in Queen of May's box.

• ChooChooGal
    19 years ago

Hi Poochella

I too am enjoying my Valentines. (Cassy's Valentine Swap) Its been a Month since I received my package. The Seeds are several inches High. Whomever, my Valentine was. Thank You again, for my great package. I am sorry I don't know you guys well enough. To have figured out my Valentine. So, that I can Thank You. Other than on line. Please know I am greatful.

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Poochella - Cassie has given you the CLUE to who sent you your wonderful Valentine gift. We can help you figure this out by ELIMINATION. Snowstorms are rare here as well as where MudPlayingFamilysMom lives. Sooooo I am eliminated and MudPlayingFamilysMom is eliminated. Two down and let's see how many to go?
    Shirley

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh Shirley you tormentress! You were next on my list of guesses for Valentine Sneaky Pal. A big wind could snow you in there from a great lakes storm-- didn't you just have an ice storm a couple months ago?

I have gone back over two whole threads of Cassie's Valentine posts. By my old geography study calculations a Great Lakes storm could affect anyone in MI, MA, NY,OH,IN,PA (big suspect Earthly Delights) MD and IL. I might have missed a state or two.

I am going to guess Earthly as the mystery sender. If that's not right, then I am asking for another hint, like zip code, initials, NAME RANK SERIAL NUMBER ! Help poor Poochella out here, it's driving me nuts.
    There is absolutley nothing on the box or labels to help me. I may need to hire a private detective.....

• dawnb818
    19 years ago

It was not me here in ohio :)
    Dawn

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

No Great Lake snowstorms happening here on the Great Plains.

I'm glad someone sent you a wonderful valentine. You were the best valentine pal to me. I was tempted to send you a valentine myself but didn't want you to think I was trying to outgift the giver. Although that would be very hard to do in your case. :)

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Hehehehe... Your pal has given me another hint for you but I have LOST it. However, Annie... she says she is loving this exchange and enjoying you haveing to wonder like everyone else. She will reveal herself on SUNDAY if you have not guessed yet who she is and Choo Choo girl I sent you your pals name and info. Didn't you get it?

Cassie

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You lost the hint!??? That is not helpful Cassie LOL! I will try to glean some more through the posted messages, but it really could be anyone. I have a couple busy days here but will try to sleuth around when I have time..

I think it's someone with beloved dog so that's going to be my first focus.

Debbie SW OK I was glad to be your pal and would gladly be so again anytime.
    Dawn THANK YOU for letting me rule you out- that leaves about 12 or so suspects.
    Off to work,
    Poochella

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Some Valentine in Michigan is taunting me! That wicked woman.. she knows who my Secret Valentine is and isn't talking. Denies culpability. But I haven't sent her bamboo to put under her nails yet...

Cassie, being slow witted, is 'LOST' a clue? I am clueless, I'll be the first to admit it! I can stay up all night if I have to, and believe me I will try! So much to read, so little time....

I want whoever it is to know I am enjoying the fruits of your labors mightily. I got the ingredients to make more dog bones today. Often our dog will ignore our calls to come in at night. Last night she was off in the woods harping at some unseen enemy off and on and wouldn't come in for the night. That is, until I rattled the bag of peanut butter bones and held one high on the night breeze to tantalize her little canine nostrils. It wasn't 60 seconds before she came barrelling up the stairs in search of the tempting treat. They have now become my secret weapon and dog's best friend. The neighbor dogs have taken quite a shining to them as well.

I have some sleuthing to do....
    You all enjoy my torment while I read myself bleary eyed!
    Poochella

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Late breaking research news:
    Plantlady Jan has a siberian husky!

Askew Gardens has 4 dogs and a gorgeous photo on her Member Page! Check it out.

Mellen has 16 acres in Iowa which I have dreamed about many times- and could get a Great Lake snow storm. Such a great story of that land, but no mention of dogs. They would love it there, Mellen!

Number One Angel has a beloved dog, but I'm not sure she's IN this swap LOL!

And my lament; Earthly Delights has a dog treat recipe but always sends packages with delivery confirmation, and mine had none- I've looked and looked, believe me. ACK!!!!!!!!!

I think it was Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick.

Will continue sleuthing but am always open to more hints---hint hint!

Bleary eyed,

Poochella

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

Poochella,
    Just wanted to let you know that it could of been me as your secret valentine.....
    But it wasn't..................Treesa207 HE HE HEEEEE

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

Hmmmm..... It is snowing quite steadily here.... only 2 weeks into the month and already our 4th significant snowfall. I can't see off my back deck because of the piled up snow. Mother Nature appears to be trying to dump as much snow on us as possible before spring arrives. Only problem is that the Great Lakes don't effect our weather here.....

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LunaMoon, I have you on the list of usual suspects, but crossed you out as giving to UPTreasa. That doesn't mean anything though; my mistake.
    You have snow piling up because Massachussetts is just a hop skip and jump away from the Great Lakes! A little SE wind from Canada and you've got snow... Gorgeous part of the country by the way. I had a great trip to Cape Cod 3 years ago and hope to return someday.

(good news: no earthquakes in your area for months!)

Here are my other notes for your neighbors in Mass:
    Drippy MA "mixed colors,garden hack" (LOL her words, not mine from her member page.)
    Gullible Vol MA "dianthus eating cat" (no mention of a dog!)
    DaWiff MA "British Hubby, backproblem" (no dog, but a great sounding yard!)
    Granny Marsh MI- "has adorable dog"
    Plant Lady Jan MI- "a beloved Husky"
    Aprils_Garden MI- "large yard, new gardener" (could easily add a dog or two!)
    UPTREASA-MI no info, could get snow
    WI-Julus Pahl- busy tearing up yard with son
    IL- DJM906 little info.I can only say DJM would get lake effect snow. Consider getting a dog DJM!
    IN- hijadelamadre- she just had a baby- she has no time!
    NY LHMKC "girls, no dog"
    MD-Gardenwatch "biker,2 cats"
    NC-Ggwrn "two dogs, nurse"
    OH-AskewGarden "4 dogs!!!"
    Everyone in Colorado, Texas, South and North Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma and other warmer climates such as ChooChoo Girl in TN has been ruled out. Dawn in Ohio is ruled out. Cassie is ruled out. Anyone else I'm leaving out?

And here, we see the great lakes in all their splendor, but these mapmakers seem to disclude Mellen in Iowa as a suspect. What the heck are they thinking? Of course Iowa gets snow and a flake or two could be influenced by the great lakes. I am off to have breakfast and ponder the hours til Sunday when hopefully my wonderPal will divulge herself and put me out of my misery!

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Can someone tell me how to put pictures on here from yahoo briefcase as this is WHERE Poochella's next clue is sent to me from her pal. LMK SOON

Cassie

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Cassie, it will probably have to be Poochella herself. She helped me with pictures.
    Shirley

• dawiff
    19 years ago

Poochella, I have been following your mystery-solving with great interest. You are too funny, trying to figure out who your Secret Valentine was!

Cassie, if you need help with posting a picture, I know how to do it. You can email it to me at conliffe1@rcn.com and I will post it.

Alison

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A CLUE A CLUE! For that I will sacrifice time outside to help Cassie- but I have no idea what Yahoo Briefcase is so see if this works.

Open Yahoo Briefcase
    Either open the file/photo or try RIGHT clicking on its thumbnail.
    See PROPERTIES at bottom of list. ( if you don't see this, then you might have to open the photo and Right click on it to see PROPERTIES.
    Click on Properties- a little page opens up.
    Find the URL or address "http:" etc and COPY the URL entirely with a right click and drag.

Get back here right away ((teehee)) and type this but replace * with at the end
    *img src= then PASTE the COPY of the URL here*
    Hit preview message to see if it worked.
    If it doesn't, I don't know more to tell you except there are tons of photo posting helpers at Cottage Garden Forum under the gallery or conversation section.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Epic Saga of GrandmaJan's photos

• mellen
    19 years ago

Dear Poochella, It is snowing as I write this, and I/we do have a dog. She was one of those "drop-off" dogs that you hear about. I was tagging along with a friend going to someone's home(I didn't know the people), and they had this beautiful, big, black, friendly dog. They said they didn't know who she belonged to, couldn't find her a home, and they couldn't keep her. If they couldn't find her a home in the next couple weeks, they were going to have her put down. When we had moved to our new place, I had resolved that we were NOT going to have another dog because I didn't want the deer, birds, etc. scared away. Well...Lady scares off the deer--haven't had any in the yard since she has been here. But we love her. So, we have snow and a dog. Does that help you? : P Mellen

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

I have 2 cats but no dog. Does that help???

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Okay I am trying... Annie you have to add all these together according to your pal. Here are the first two

Here is a link that might be useful: Clue

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Here are the last two clues. Hope you can see this

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd Clue

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Disregard the 2nd clue I can't share it with you. I have fixed it so you can see all 4 clues on the 1st clue.

Cassie

• mellen
    19 years ago

Poochella, I forgot to include some vital information in my post above. I am not your secret pal. But I know who is! HeeHoHo! Mellen

• veeja11
    19 years ago

ok put poor ll out of her misery, she should be out planting, and sorting out my dahlias, not searching for clues, so shoot her already.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

VEEJA! Don't shoot me yet, I'm closing in... and I just scooted in for lunch from moving 40 lb hostas (they seemed that heavy anyway.) I am eyeballing your dahlias daily- too early to plant anyway. Put down your arms and weapons, you'll get them soon. And I will soon announce my guess on a Pal.

Standby for sheer Pooch-powered detective genius....

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you." Interesting. I learned something new because of your search. LOL I'm so glad you had such an extra special replacement pal! She's given all of us so much fun! (psst Still no snow here and we've probably had our LAST FROST for the year. Yippee!)

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm clueing, I'm clueing! Thanks Cassie and clue provider. Soon you will be calling me Inspector Poochella.

Luna Moon- no, two cats no dog doesn't help me. Get a dog, it would help confuse me!
    Mellen- no, you don't help me either although Lady sounds like a wonderful find. You don't want deer eating your garden anyway!

Let's examine closely the clue that says "nuns" somewhere in the URL. I work for a Catholic run organization, so I immediately suspect it would be someone who knows this about me. But, here's what I find when I search that clue:

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the state flag of MICHIGAN! Wherein whose borders reside at least four suspects.

Moving on, and I might add bursting with productive sleuthing pride here...
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is the National Flag of Finland! So I strongly suspect a Finn is involved here.

And this is evidence of the crime itself: Blatant Valentine Pal-ism
    {{gwi:1251605}}

and the accompanying sweet, delicious "could-be-considered-lunch" clue:

is not nearly as cute as THE REAL CULPRIT: THE REAL SNICKERS, DOG OF FINNS IN MICHIGAN, DOG OF NONEOTHER THAN GRANNYMARSH! Professor Plum in the den with the candelabra is out, Granny Marsh IT WAS YOU!!!! FINAL ANSWER

For such a wonderful package and delightful headbashing exercise in researching every single participant in Cassie's Valentine Swap til my eyes bled! Only a true pal would do this and I thank you. But I might have to release the flying monkeys for misleading me earlier..... Your Pal, Annie

Aren't they still scary after 60 years? Please no one tell me if I'm wrong, I'm just going to plow through life, thinking it was Granny Marsh.

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Poochella- Wow you are some detective. I know you are pleased you finally know. I was planning on calling my son to help you with this detective work. (He's going to college for a degree in law enforcement) All that money should have a pay off sometime, right! The flying monkeys are scary looking. Were they in the wizard of oz?
    Shirley

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Hockey Game tonight.

• veeja11
    19 years ago

Good job little leaky, even if you are wrong you sure sound right, those monkeys are downright scary.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

YAY! The deed is done, the saga is over. Granny Marsh has all but 'fessed up. I think I devoured half the milk chocolate bar she sent reading posts and Member Pages the past few days! LOL!

Yes Shirley, the flying scary monkeys were from Wizard of Oz and are probably responsible for many youthful nightmares to this day. Anyone in a flight path from Seattle to Michigan, watch the skies closely because I'm going to release a batch of them to thank Granny Marsh personally for her good deed and wicked secret-keeping ways.

Like the bumper sticker I saw said: "Don't make me release the flying monkeys!"

Shirley, hats off to your son for pursuing law enforcement-that is a most honorable calling and I'm sure will pay off handsomely in the future. If he needs a sleuthing tutor: you have my email! I still had you in mind for my Pal, because you're so nice.
    Also Carol/Veeja who is always looking out for me, but now looking for her dahlia tubers LOL and will get them SOON, I promise. I don't want to send you junk tubers that won't grow- be patient!
    And don't forget Earthly who I was soooooo sure was my sub Pal, or Dianna Mud Mom who sends things to me out of the blue!
    But no, 'twas the Finn from Michigan and very much fun to try to figure this out. Couldn't have done it without the clues, Granny!

Thanks again. What a terrific group of people! And now I can say Thanks Cassie for a great Secret Pal swap.

• veeja11
    19 years ago

I am in no hurry just joking, I got my tubers out of the garage, almost impossible to read, only one rotten, not bad for a first timer, did your original pal forget you ?How could anyone forget you ?Carol

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Hehehehehe... Yes Pooch you are correct. Marsha has THANKED me so many times for letting her be your stand in pal and I thought you should wait a few days before knowing just to have the same suspense that others had. Marsha jumped on this boat and agreed and came up with the idea of clues. The crazy thing is that I truly believe this took a bad situation and made it WORTH the wait. It has extended our valentine season for ALMOST another month and brought some much needed excitement and interest to dreary winter time in many of our areas

Cassie

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Well, it's time to officially confess. I confess that it was an honor to be your Secret Valentine. I confess that there were co-conspirators. I confess to being totally "Skinked Out" that you did not receive your end of the deal. I confess that this was great fun !!

I read many of the forum topics. I've seen how Annie shares with newbies and the not-so-newbies with Advice, humor, her precious Dahlias . And I now Thank you for all of us.

The Finnish flag was a bit of deception. Just a little bit. We are not Finns by any measure. This whole area of the U.P. has a strong ethnic background from Scandinavia. Strong, caring, talented and funny. Our own UPTreasa is one. The Michigan flag was to help you zoom in on the area. And I KNEW that the Snickers bar would be a dead give-away.

I agree with Cassie that our fun with you has brightened up an otherwise dreary time of the year. And we all know more about one another, that's a good thing.

Bring on the Flying Monkeys. Mike is a talented trap shooter--we have no fear. And the bird dog is waiting...

Thank you for your humor. And a BIG thank you to my partners in crime.

Marsha

• mellen
    19 years ago

You all are such a wonderful group. I love your caring, sharing, and you folks have a sense of humor to boot. Poochella, am so glad you took all of this the way it was meant to be taken. FUN!!! You are a classy lady! Mellen

• brittneysgran
    19 years ago

Poochella - I did want to step in and be your Pal but was told someone had beat me to it (which was of course GrannyMarsh). What a fun post this has been because of it. I will tell Steve (my son) if he ever needs help in solving something to get in touch with you (POOCHELLA-who will go sleepless and bleary eyed until the case is solved). Oh don't forget we also have a dahlia trade to do. I did not dig up my cannas last fall but checked on them yesterday and they all looked great, hope my dahlias did as well.
    Shirley

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

Poochella, I have had the pleasure of meeting GrannyMarsh, one of my many gardening friends. It was through GardenWeb, that Marsha saw that I was from her area, so she contacted me!!! She even got some "black gold" from our farm. Marsha thinks the world of you, because you are such a wonderful person, as I have seen so many gardeners here are. It is so nice to see people bring smiles to others. You all are so much fun to be with. Thank you Marsha for making sure that Poochella wasn't left out. You're a sweetheart!!! We still have to get together sometime before Spring. Thank you again for the goodies you have shared with me!!! Poochella, you make a great detective!! hehehe Hugs to everyone!!!!! Treasa

• Poochella
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well aren't you all so nice! I knew it all along, how nice you all are. It is very refreshing to know there are still such good folks in our world and no wonder to me that they are found here at Garden Web. I have no doubt that Granny Marsh has little non-Finnish wings sprouting on her back. NOT FLYING MONKEY wings, more like angelic ones!

Mellen, life isn't any fun without FUN sneaked in, every chance you get. I try to make the best of every situation and this turned out better than ever thought possible.

Shirley, I have a filing card with your name on it somewhere for a trade, but I have to find it to refresh my memory. I recall Bora Bora is involved- all expense paid vacation for me to Bora Bora, wasn't it? tee hee

UPTreasa I have no doubt that Granny Marsh is a swell person and I hope to meet her in person some day.

Isn't Snickers the cutest dog with her curly ear borders and lovely drooping muzzle? "has adorable dog" was a good description for Granny Marsh's research notes!
    For all your co-conspiratorial efforts, kind words and cheering me on in my hunt for the truth I leave you with this hideous greeting. Still can't believe I chose that card!
    {{gwi:1251612}}