SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Just wouldn't be without 'em . . .

digit
15 years ago

For most of us, the '08 growing season is moving now into memory. With all those efforts in the Spring to get things started, there are a few special rewards that we just can't soon forget. Next Spring, there we'll be out there starting the season with our cherished choices. What will those annuals be that we just wouldn't be without?

Of course, I like my dahlias and have made a special commitment to them. They aren't quite annuals but behave enuf as such that a gardener (at least a gardener in our climate) doesn't need to separate them from the group.

I've grown snapdragons for decades now, even before I discovered their very great importance in bouquets. Of course, I've gone with the tall Rocket snaps but I've grown others. Thompson/Morgan has one that I really admire - Brazilian Carnival. All I can say when I see them bloom is, "Wow! How colorful!" Burpee's Toppers were growing beside my front door nearly 25 years ago. I wish the whites were sold separately - they have such a strong presence and can compliment nearly any tall ornamental.

In the vegetable garden and tomato patch especially, I'm always trying something new. This year, that included some that I have no intention of letting slip by me in '09 but their newness keeps me from wholehearted endorsement. It may not surprise you that the one I've grown for years and that always does well in my garden is Big Beef because IâÂÂve said so much about it. Another is SunSugar with its unique (altho' not unique from Sungold) flavor. But, here's one I haven't talked about much and, after growing them off & on for probably 5 years now - have no intention of being without in the future. That one is the large cherry, Sweet Chelsea - healthy plants, with a nice tomatoey flavor and sweet, oh so sweet.

From sublime fruit to the early and late healthful greens . . . the bok choys make me feel like I've got a healthful hobby. And, Mei Qing Choy is the most tender and most successfully grown of all those I've tried. Diced up and stir-fried in the Spring and in the Fall, I've got reason to feel good about gardening.

So what are those you baby thru their toddler stage each and every year and just wouldn't be without?

digitS'

Comments (11)