SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Garden notes

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

I now have several bags of peaches in my dining room. Few of them are fully ripe, and some of them were blemished. Dozens of peaches hit the ground and various critters beat me to them. Quite a few hit the ground on the other side of my fence where I can't get to them. And there are still plenty more on the tree.

I'm busily looking up peach recipes.

My potato plants are growing big. One that I thought died before it barely sprouted some months back is now beginning to sprout.

Who'da thunk?

My spring planted brassica is growing big, but I don't see any heads. The Brussels sprout is growing tiny sprouts, though, not quite as big as a pea right now. I've begun my fall planting. Today I planted another Brussels sprout and a purple sprouting broccoli.

Some of my zukes are blossoming, only male flowers so far, alas. With 16 plants in 5 hills, once they all start flowering I should have no problem with pollination.

My fall carrots and lettuce are coming up. My melon plants are growing, but I realize time will probably run out on them.

My tomatoes are big and getting bushy, but the buds never flowered. I moved one plant to where it gets full sun all day.

I have two more raised beds to set up, but frankly I don't know how I'm going to do it. Oh, they're super easy to set up, but then I have to fill them with soil, and getting sufficient soil home without a car is very nearly impossible.

I ordered probably too much garlic to plant this fall, and I wanted to plant them in one of the raised beds, dang it.

And that concludes my "State of the Garden" address.

Comments (20)