SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vladpup

Gardening Software Notes Thread

vladpup
19 years ago

G'Day!

- i found a link to the BBC's Virtual Garden Maker over in the Cottage Gardens forum and just wanted to share it with y'all. Then i thought, can we all pool our garden software into here, in one thread?

- If anyone knows of computer garden makers they'd recomend (or other gardening software) (either in my price range, ie, free, or Santa's price range, ie, any) please post them here with:

1.) what's good about it,

2.) what's bad about it,

3.) price

4.) where one can get it.

O

- Example:

BBC Virtual Garden Maker

- The BBC has a nice (if limited) Virtual Garden Maker. It works fine online, 'though i must admit i haven't been able to "unpack" the downloadable off-line version.

- It's a FREE download. You can also use it "on-line," saving up to ten gardens which you can return to and work with. (i THINK you can invite others to come and "tour" them, too.)

- The images are great, and the 3-D tour feature is great. The catagories are good.

- Drawbacks are the limited variety of plants to select from (although it MIGHT be possible to add more, i just don't know if/how to do so) and that one can only use a VERY limited total number of objects in one's virtual garden. This would not be a problem if one did one bed at a time but i wanted to see my whole garden at once, which is acresworth.

- Does not include looking at different seasons.

- Get it at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/

O

- i have also used my The Sims game to do garden layouts.

_The Sims was about $30-- but i suspect it's cheaper now. i asume you can get it at any toy store, and know you can order it (and its expansions) online from EA Games. (Just "Search" for "The Sims".)

- Big advantages are that you can download a HUGE variety of plants (not to mention other objects) from a diverse range of online sources, with these additons being free, and that you can stuff in as many ojects as there is rom for.

- Dissadvantages are that there is no working at a small size scale (no close-ups) and that you are likely to be tempted to actually play the game! (i know i don't have that kind of time except in the winter!) The same applies with using The Sims as an arcitecture toy. (Got a spouse or other children in the house? You may find your access to The Sims is limited to when you can tear them away from it!)

- While there are no seasons, you can easily "clone" your garden to a different "plot of land" and replace your 'summer" versions of various plants with "fall," "winter," or "spring" verions. It's just a matter of finding appropriate plant (and other) "objects" at Sims sites online.

O

- Again, please post here your experiences with and recomendations (or dis-recomendations, if that's a word in English) of garden software, such as virtual garden makers.

-Happy gardening!

-vlad

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC Virual garden Maker, on- or off-line

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus