SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Notes From The Garden

runktrun
17 years ago

I spent a good amount of time today in the garden and thought I would report my observations in the hopes that you will do the same.

While picking oak leaves out of a bed of Erica carnea Springwood White I noticed and am happy to report many frantic bees feasting on the blossoms. It is often stated and I quote "Erica carnea heaths do fine without pruning" I have come to the conclusion after trial and error that they may do "fine" but will do better and not become as leggy if I shear them back after the blooms fade.

Erica x darleyensis "Kramers Rote" still holding on to itÂs deep plum coloring now that the dark pink (no not red) blossoms are beginning to fade they are turning a russet orange it made me think of liams thread for purple and orange combos. This heath I canÂt say enough good things about and would like to use it as the single ground cover in one of my beds.

Today it dawned on me that it was rabbits who taught me how to shear heath. A few years back during a heavy snow winter the rabbits sheared some winter blooming heath to a point that I thought for certain it was lost. When I observed later that year how thick and robust it came back I was more willing to be brutal to my heaths. This reminds me that Madge Snow who I mentioned in another thread told me she had a well known plants man from Scotland to her garden. She pulled out the sheep shears and showed him her meticulous technique and he responded with praise but mentioned he pruned his with a weed wacker. Needless to say she gave it a try and has never gone back to the shears.

It seems the tree peonyÂs that I thought might struggle after their attempt to leaf out in January havenÂt skipped a beat and the leaf buds are beginning to open. I need to ask if any one has in-put on pruning these.

Hellebores are not happy with my winter winds I have a few flowers but all of the leaves are brown.

All the leaves are brown

And the sky is gray

I went for a walk

On a winterÂs dayÂÂ

kt

Comments (79)