SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Garden Notes---Updates!

susanlynne48
16 years ago

First of all, caterpillars. I have so many PVS eggs and cats, most of them are staying on the food plants. I brought a few in to raise.

GFs - too numerous to raise all of them so they will be staying on the vines, too.

BSTs - too numerous to raise all of them, so "ditto"!

RAs - am raising about 4 or 5 of them now.

GSTs - am raising about 5 of them.

The hamelia patens (firebush) is bursting into bloom as we speak.

The PVS's are still enjoying the Butterfly series red pentas. Who'd a thunk it? That's their favorite, but they will nectar on the zinnias, Tropical Milkweed and lantana as well. The lantana is getting most of its activity from the skippers, though.

I guess I should post this on the hummer forum, but I am thoroughly enjoying 4 hummers this year. A boon for me. I've only had one in the past. Now, I have 4, and do they create havoc in the garden! They are just too funny to watch. They chatter constantly, and the one female tries in vain to defend her feeder. They are all females I believe.

The Black and Blue Salvia is beloved by them, as well as the tropical milkweed.

I tore out the clematis that was growing on the trellis with my Passiflora incarnata 'Incense'. I wanted it to have more room to romp about, and romp it is doing!

The verbesina encelioides has yet to see any BOrdered Patches, but it is really getting big now with the heat setting in.

Lantana 'Miss Huff' in one season is about 2' tall, but about 2-3' wide. I never expected it to grow so large just this summer!

Both sennas have seeds - hebecarpa and Partridge Pea. Won't be long before I have bicapsularis as well. I saw a huge mama Cloudless Sulphur laying eggs on the hebecarpa the other day. They don't stay long in one place, do they? She just kind of "flew thru", layed eggs, and moved on.

My lavendar 'Provence' hasn't done very well this year. I think it got too much moisture during our "rainy season". The foliage looks great, but not near as much bloom as usual. I think it needs drier weather to bloom well, so maybe it will pick up soon.

The Aristolochia tomentosas are growing like crazy. Maybe I will have enough food for a few PVS's! The A. macrophylla has put out a sucker - yippee! The A. clematitis keeps popping up in odd places in the flower bed. I have to be careful I don't overlook it.

I must have dropped some Zizia seed in the yard, because I have about 10 plants popping up in all in a row. That's a good thing, too.

My baby trees and shrubs I planted in the spring are doing okay, but I have to water them nearly every day now since it's gotten so hot here. They're in the back yard and they dry out quickly with all the trees sucking up the moisture. Paul James says water well and wait 4 days to water again. That would never work right now in this location.

Oh, my Ironweed is getting ready to bloom. I didn't expect any bloom until next year or the next even. But, it's gonna do it's thing anyway. I have lots more of the pink/white salvia that is blooming with a lot still coming on. The Sulphurs just love this stuff.

Once again, no Tithonia showed up. Does anyone have a photo of seedlings? I'd like to know what it looks like when it first starts growing. I hope I'm not pulling it up, in other words.

Oh, and my Gregg's mistflower - I transplanted two seedlings from the backyard, and began pinching them out - it is now 2' across and 2' tall! A monster it will be.

The butterflies do love the shady backyard, between the rows of trees. I let my weeds and grass grow, and the Silvery Checkerspots and Swallowtails love to take a respite back there. So, it is a good idea to have an unkempt area for the butts!

Susan

Comments (9)

Sponsored