SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
at2013_gw

I did this to root, did I do it right?

AT2013
10 years ago

About a month ago I took a bunch of rose cuttings from my mother's roses. I took a few and put them in potting medium designed for rooting and those dried out even with very humid conditions in propagation boxes. SoCal sun kills anything. The others, maybe 4-5 canes were wrapped in plain old white printer paper that was soaked, and rolled into a grocery bag for a few weeks. After a while I noticed they developed calluses. I had read about them a while back. I wet the paper a few times through the month and they had developed some thick callus. At this point I saw some browning of the bud eye ends and decided that I should just plan them. They hadn't developed roots at all, just good calluses. I placed them in moistened potting mix in a plastic cup and watered them. I let the water drain out for 30 minutes then placed the wet paper sheets folded nicely under the bottom of the cup and side in a grocery bag and lightly closed the top off. Now maybe a week later I see all the bud eyes growing into young branches (is this the correct word?).

When's a good time to plant them outside in bigger containers? I want to provide a moist living area until the weather cools off here. I live in zone 9a/9b, FWIW.

Comments (5)