SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

OT -- I feel pitiful

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

Yes, I want sympathy.

A temporary filling fell out last week, and the tooth started hurting. I was supposed to have it fitted for a crown quite a while ago, and the pain finally forced my hand, so I called the dentist and made an appointment.

Well, the tooth was too far gone to save, so my crown fitting turned into oral surgery.

Don't laugh, but I feel a loss. A part of me is irretrievably gone. And I had vowed that I would die with all my bits and parts intact and in place. (Okay, I don't count the tonsils. I was glad to see them go.) I'll have to get a bridge, which means grinding down two more teeth to nubs. I want an implant, but I can't afford one. No insurance.

I feel miserable. I was exhausted anyway, and have been for weeks. The anesthesia is wearing off now, and my mouth is beginning to throb. I won't be able to eat for a while, or even drink anything, and usually I comfort myself with food!

I'm taking tomorrow off. I can't afford to be docked the day's wages, but I think it's best. With little nourishment, the trauma and pain of the surgery, and being on Vicodin, I won't be good for much.

At least the bleeding is going down some.

It rained some tonight, so my garden is watered. My dehydrator arrived today, so I'll be able to dry garlic for garlic crumbles. And to dry peach slices for snacks, too, assuming the squirrels leave me any.

Part of what is bothering me, too, is that this is another old-age thing that I have to deal with. In the past six months, I've developed (or discovered I've developed) COPD, dowager's hump, scoliosis, osteopenia, and cataracts. And now my teeth are falling out! It's disconcerting. Especially when I've taken pains to improve my lifestyle and health habits. I get plenty of vigorous exercise (karate and gardening). I'm 40-50% organic now. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables. I'm wearing sunglasses. I'm taking supplements up the wazoo. (Actually I'm taking them by mouth, but you know what I mean. *wink*) I kicked soda, eat little red meat, and my sugar consumption is down. I'm taking way better care of myself now than I did when I was 30.

It's just not fair! It's like -- now that I've hit menopause and can no longer ensure the future of my DNA, I'm out of warranty, and parts can start breaking down on my slow, inexorable slide to becoming compost.

Comments (12)