SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

OT: Now I feel like crying...these crooks just keep getting me!

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

This is a bathroom problem not kitchen, so I apologize for the OT post.

A month or so ago I sourced a carrara marble vanity for my kids' bath. Because it was a remnant, they agreed to do it for $400 for a 5' vanity with 2 sinks. It was an awesome deal...or it was supposed to be. Seems to good to be true = really, too good to be true.

First, the template guy came and said "$400, are you kidding? It will be $750 minimum and that is a great deal". I did not agree to the $750 price but did give them a deposit for the vanity and additional shelving they were doing for me. (I know, I know -- stupid.)

Then, they brought the vanity and it was stained and scratched up. By then my deposit check had been cashed (I tried to stop payment)

Then, they promised to do a poultice and fix or replace the vanity. Multiple times they promised. The most recent time was about a week and a half ago and they never came back or called back again.

I finally made peace with having lost my $400 and moved on. I'm replacing the vanity with a black granite (smarter for a kids' bath anyway) from an ethical supplier.

The new templater came today. Went to the garage to look at my faucets...one is missing. I'm not 100% sure that the original vanity guys took it, but I am 95% sure. (I"m 100% sure that a few weeks ago they were both there.)

So of course I've called them, but I have about as much hope of getting my faucet back as I have of getting my $$$ back on the first vanity.

It makes me sick that I fell for this, and it makes me sick that people function like this. It makes me sick that in the interest of saving a few bucks I bought myself a lot of pain and hassle, project delays and sleazy feelings.

I trusted these guys in the first place because they'd done beautiful work at my sister's house and the installers were such great guys. Well, the installers are cut from a different cloth than the business owners, and the business owners are bad people.

I can easily count my blessings...luckily it wasn't my whole kitchen and a whole lot more money. Luckily I'm the one going to bed at night with my morals intact, which is worth way more than $400. Luckily my budget wasn't so tight that $400 made the difference. And so on. And once the gross feeling of this is all washed away, I will feel better. Right now I just feel dirty.

Anita

Comments (12)