SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortusladynw

Am I being naive?

hortusladyNW
19 years ago

Hi there. My husband and I have spent the last month of weekends preparing what was a landfill into a raised-bed rose garden to host over 50 roses. While the landfill wasn't "clean" we have seen no evidence of toxicity there (just junk including rebar, bricks, plastic and more rocks than I could count - all now removed - and enough sand for a private beach). On advice of the rose nursery there's been appropriate use of lime, peat moss, steer manure and top grade topsoil.

We picked up 17 own-root roses yesterday from this local rose nursery designated as fall-planting preferred, and spent today planting them. We consulted with this well-respected owner of a local rose nursery and author of a book who directed our choices to hardy and as disease resistant as possible. He advocates use of non-chemical insecticides and fungicides. He has provided "recipes" and is at the other end of an email when we need help.

As we were out there on a beautiful fall day today planting these lovelies, some neighbours stopped to chat as they walked their dog and proceeded to tell me how hard it is to grow roses and how I would inevitably "give in" and use commercial pesticides. I have to admit she kind of deflated my hopes. It's my feeling that if the roses we've chosen can't thrive on the love and attention we will be giving them, they don't belong in our garden.

We planted today:

Berries 'n Cream (2)

Peace

Benjamin Britten

Crocus Rose

Charlotte

Crown Princess Margareta

Brother Cadfael

Heritage

Ferdinand Pichard

Heirloom

Seafoam (2)