SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmd_zone4

Disease-Resistant Rose

cmd_zone4
15 years ago

I just want to share what I learned today about shopping for disease-resistant rose. What I have to share may already be a known fact to our experienced rose growers but it may impart some knowledge to new rose growers out there, like myself.

I have read about Rugosa roses being resistant to black spots and powdery mildew but I also read that being disease resistant does not necessarily mean they'll never get these diseases in their lifetime. It may simply mean that if they get these diseases, the whole plant will not be engulfed. I went to Home Depot tonight and visited the garden center. There are only a few plants left but they still have two racks of container roses for sale at half the regular price - hybrid teas and rose shrubs. All of the hybrid teas are covered in black spots and of the rose shrubs, there were a few containers that are without black spots at all. I checked the labels and it says those shrubs are "naturally disease resistant." I almost cannot believe how healthy-looking these shrubs are - the leaves are clean, rose hips are starting to swell and there's still a couple of buds left. I got myself one and then I realized that if one wants to get a rose that is disease resistant, then one way to do it is to shop by the end of summer/early autumn, since this is the time that black spots and powdery mildew set in. It's a good indication of how the plant will look like at the end of the season. It's like getting roses in bloom to make sure you get the bloom color you want. My point is, if these shrubs can afford to look good at this time of the year in a container, when it's not getting enough care anymore, then they must look a lot better once they're on a well-tended garden with good soil.

Comments (9)