SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosetom_gw

For JohnReb - MONSTER Rose Thread #2 (continued - long)

rosetom
18 years ago

JohnReb,

Thanks for the photos you sent me. At least yours don't seem to have any apricot in them. They are much pinker than mine, but I suspect that's the difference in our locations, and the fact that your pics were taken on an overcast day.

Here's a series of pics that I took today, and I hope it will clinch this if you can tell me all of this looks like your Sundowner.

Flowers:

Bud - as previously discussed, Pure orange with yellow petal bases:

{{gwi:1225384}}
Your picture is very similar:

{{gwi:1225385}}
Fresh flower, but lots of sun - yellow disappeared quick, and orange is on its way out:

{{gwi:1225386}}
Aged several days (burned edges in a couple of places. As you have remarked, left on the bush long enough, it will actually bleach to a light pink:

{{gwi:1225387}}
Bud and fresh flower together:

{{gwi:1225388}}

Here's the foliage. Besides the zig-zag stems, a very unique feature are the leaves. After turning green from their bronze-red origins, they retain red edges and veining for weeks. Here's a very fresh leaf, newly turned green:

{{gwi:1225389}}
Here's one that is a couple of weeks old, but you can see that the red edge and veining is still there:

{{gwi:1225390}}

Finally, a couple of general pictures of the bush. Please excuse my shoddy stitching on the last one:

{{gwi:1225391}}
{{gwi:1225393}}

Does this clinch it? Are these pics the same features you've seen on your Sundowner?

Comments (3)