SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Time to Plan the CT Fall Swap ( Part 2,continued)

ego45
17 years ago

Wow, we reached new, larger limit of posts, 150 and have to start a new thread.

TG, it's only 4 days left and hopefully third thread will not be needed, LOL.

Deb, instead of throwing scales out you may either plant them shallow next to existing bulbs or bring them and I'll do the same. To grow lilies from the scales is a lenghty process, but if you already have a clump of them, time will fly since you have nothing to do to them.

BTW, If you wish to, I could bring you a small pot full of bulblets (very small, not flowering size bulbs) of L. speciosum 'Album' that originally (2 years ago) were a broken scales off the bulbs, but already developed into bulbs. Expected maturity/bloom time is another 2 years.

Comments (57)

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Abi - I am interested in 4 - 6" pots

Marty - Thanks for offering to bring name tags.

Deb

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

I forgot - does anyone want a (giant) green-stemmed rhubarb? I also could bring horseradish if anyone was interested.
    Deb

• Related Discussions

Time for a CT fall swap?

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi All! Sorry I didnt get in on the conversation about the swap-and now its cancelled!:( I have things to give away but usually later on when I dig divide and replant. Things are still looking good for me- compost on the beds last fall and a late application of fertilizer this august seems to be doing the trick.Some of the cone flowers are still going where usually they dry out and look sad by now. I have had to cut back on work this year but will still do the DDR since nobody could make sense of what needs doing but me. I usually throw the discarded plants in chip bags with a little soil if possible. If anyone wants bags of stuff(sometimes mixed-up) let me know. Im in Ridgefield. I just went down last night to a community garden in Bridgeport Ct. I might try and get some herbs and cut flowers planted down there this fall. Looks like they could use a lot of plants if anyone has stuff to donate, or wants to help me plant etc...GVI in Westport sponsored the garden, The Reservoir Community Farm, info at www.gogvi.org or on facebook. I think they could really use some actidnia vines on the chain link fence surrounding the garden, some fruit trees, blueberries and other berries.Im also starting to coordinate a project at the Ridgefield public/elderly housing with another master gardener which will need a lot of plants. One of the sites is an old mansion converted to housing-can be really beautiful! Looking a little sad right now. Its still in the planning phases but some work going on starting Oct.9th. Ill work on plans this winter so will have a more concrete plant list-any suggestions or donations? Things will have to be low maintenance of course. Some deer issues, but not too bad. People can "adopt a spot" too. thanks! Laura
    ...See More

CT Fall Swap? That time of the year...

Q

Comments (1)
    bumping down since the swap season is rather past. Maybe next spring there will be a CT swap.
    ...See More

info: 2009 ct fall swap & meet, greet, eat

Q

Comments (13)
    Attention all people going to the plant swap: It has been rescheduled for 11 am Sunday October 4th. due to thunderstorms.
    ...See More

info: ct fall swap & meet, greet, eat

Q

Comments (4)
    One last bump for those who, like me, are doing some last-minute checking for details! See you all soon! :) Dee
    ...See More
  • susieoc
    17 years ago

I have one each of the following:
    small "Fairy" rose
    "Purple Emperor" sedum
    sea oats grass (very pretty)
    "Purple Dome" aster
    Any takers??

Susan (aka Susie)

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

HI,
    I'll take those ferns! I have not forgotten about them. Thanks!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Susie, I'll take the Fairy Rose if no one else wants it. I've been wanting one for awhile and just haven't gotten around to it...

Thanks,
    :)
    Dee

• ego45
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The following roses are still available:
    Iceberg x2,
    Gemini x1,
    Mr. Lincoln x1,
    Falstaff (grafted on multiflora, Pickering) x3,
    Falstaff (ownroot) x3,
    Falstaff (unknown graft) x3,
    Blaze x1.

• casey1gw
    17 years ago

Susie, I'd love some of the purple emperor sedum. I was just looking at it at the store. It roots easily so it can be shared.

I have tags on everyone's requests along with extras. I'm also looking for heucheras for a semi-shade garden.

I'm bringing chicken drumsticks for the barbecue.

Hedy

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Hedy - do you care what variety (and foliage color) of heucheras? I've got a reddish-burgundy foliage variety (it was here when we arrived -- no idea the variety) that I'd be glad to bring.

/ Marty

• susieoc
    17 years ago

Hedy, The Purple Emperor now has your name on it, and
    Dee, the Fairy is yours.
    I think I'll bring some yummy cookies from our local Italian bakery ( or perhaps I'll bake some. Either way, I'll bring cookies).
    Susie

• ego45
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susie, you should reveal your secret of growing Purple Emperor.
    Mine was more or less OK for two years while it was young, but this year right before flowering all stalks become brown and it look completely dead right now.
    The same things happen to many other people who was trying to grow it.

• casey1gw
    17 years ago

Marty, there are so many purple ones that look alike that I've given up on remembering the names. I have several 'Purple Palace' because I grew it from seed and it's tough. If you want to bring the heuchera, someone else may fall in love with it if I don't take it.

George, your soil may be too rich for the sedums. They do well in one place in my yard; a sunny raised bed with sandy soil that I rarely water. I stuck a small "Autumn Joy" in my front garden. It grew well but it's lying on the ground. The conditions are just too good.

Hedy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

OK, so far this is what I have for specific people:

George

Filipendula 'Kakome'
    Daylilies 'Hyperion' and 'Little Grapette'
    Aruncus dioicus
    Astilboides tabularis

Hedy

Salvia koyame

Abi

asiatic lilies
    some dayliles
    Herrenhausen oregano

Richie

Becky Shasta daisy

Did I miss anyone? I will probably be bringing a few other things depending on the time I have to dig them. Yesterday I got a postcard in the mail from Carol's Collectibles. She's having an end of season sale this weekend so I may take a ride out there on Saturday when I should be digging swap plants...lol. Sunday is also the MIL's BD and she has this thing about celebrating on the actual day. As luck would have it she lives in Litchfield so I'll just breeze up there right from the swap to make th 2 PM lunch reservation on Lake Warmaug. Don't count me for burgers and dogs.

See you on Sunday!

Sue

• wildbill
    17 years ago

Hi everyone -

Just wanted to say Dena and I are coming.

I'm not sure of everything we are bringing, but I know we'll have some rooted White Brugmansias, 2 Passionflower "Jeannette" plants and some clumps of daylillies (orange?).

We also have 2 pink brugmansias but we are not sure if they are rooted yet.

Does anyone have some "Dead Nettle" (Lamium maculatum?)

Bill & Dena

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Bill - I have what I think is Lamium galeobdolon -- looks like perhaps Hermann's Pride? (we didn't plant it, it was here) -- if that's of any help to you. I don't know if you specifically want the maculatum or if you just want dead nettle of any variety and blossom color (flowers are yellow, foliage variegated silver and dark green on this one). Let me know if you want any.
    / Marty

• aeiger
    17 years ago

George, I'll take the Falstaf own root. Maybe I can grow an ungrafted bush. Worth a try. And Iceberg. Probably will bring something sweet. Can't have too much dessert! /Abi

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Hi Bill - I'll bring some lamium for you! I'm interested in one of your white brugs.
    Deb

• aeiger
    17 years ago

George, I have a large Adam's needle (yucca) which could do well in your Deer zone. They don't even go near it! Let me know and I'll bring it along. /Abi

• ego45
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Abi, thanks, I'm not sure if I want to use it there, but if it's already dug out, I'll take it. I know that digging it is a back breaking job, so use your own discretion, if it is still in a ground.
    Falstaff and Iceberg already marked for you.

Last minure request, if anyone have a decent size seedling of Helenium 'Lemon Queen' or another large (5-6') heleniums, I'll be glad to have it.
    I know that they are in a bloom right now and time for dividing is not appropriate, but maybe you have a spring divisison to spare. Thanks.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

George, I have some Helenium 'Mardi Gras' if you're interested and a red one I think is called 'Rubinzwerg'. If we're thinking about the same plant 'Lemon Queen' is actually a Helianthus.

Sue

• ego45
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, you are right, of course I was thinking about HELIANTHUS.
    I do have a helenium 'Mardi Gras' and I'm really happy with its first year performance, almost 2 months of bloom makes it a very garden worthy plant.
    Thanks, I'll pass on Rubinzwerg due to limited sunny spots.

• susieoc
    17 years ago

I'm wondering what happens to the swap tomorrow if it rains. The weather channel is saying showers and thundershowers. Of course, they are hardly 100% accurate, and showers are not the problem that steady rain would be. Anyway, is there a plan? I don't want to be a wet blanket (pun intended), I'm just curious.

Susie

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

I've been wondering the same thing (watching this thread to see if a more seasoned veteran would post something!). Tomorrow morning sounds as if it might be okay -- scattered showers, peeks of sun according to weather.com -- with the heavier stuff later in the afternoon, but I wondered what the decision threshhold was? Personally, I'm fine with showers, even light rain. Heavy downpours, lightning, etc. -- probably not! Not a big problem for me since we happen to live in Woodbury so I can decide at the last minute, but those folks coming from a distance must need to know whether it's a go or no go before they leave home, I assume?

This is only our second swap (and the weather was picture perfect for the spring one!), so I've no idea who makes the call and when ...

I've got plants in pots, nametags in hand, and will bring either assorted brownies or a cinnamon-walnut cake (dessert, anyway). Hope the weather cooperates -- I really don't want to replant all this stuff!!

/ Marty

• siennact
    17 years ago

Either last fall or spring the weather was miserable until right before the swap, I remember driving there in the POURING rain and feeling like I might be slightly insane. But as soon as we arrived, the sky cleared and it was beautiful. So in my limited experience, we swap rain or shine... even if it was raining a lot I guess we could bag the food and social part? I don't know what Ron's thoughts are, he'd be the final word I guess. It's tough because everyone has plants dug already!

• ronr
    17 years ago

I think its probably too late to reschedule so the show must go on...
    if it comes down to it we could always move into the garage or the barn to stay dry,no problem.
    see you all tommorow.
    ron

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Thanks Ron.

We usually have good weather mojo working and it has been beautiful no matter what the forecast. I will be there either way. Despite my sweet disposition ;-) I usually don't melt in the rain!

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I'm making pumpkin bars right now, so I hope it turns out ok tomorrow. Richie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I was going to suggest that if anyone had any of those portable awnings that it would be good to bring them. My BIL has two, but they are in use this weekend already.

But I guess if there's a barn/garage to move into, that would be even better than an awning. At least we know the rain won't hurt the plants, lol.

See you all tomorrow. I'm going out to label plants!

:)
    Dee

• cat2
    17 years ago

Wow- even if I didn't have to read the first hundred to catch up- that was quite a bit of posting there.

I won't be able to stay long, either, this time. I will be there from around 10:00 to 11:00. My MIL is having a party in the afternoon that I don't want to miss. It's for her stepdaughter's family because they are moving at the end of the month to Louisiana.

I am going right out to the yard to pot up everything. I have pink flox and dianthus for Paige, tiger lily bulbus for George, and lavender and mountain bluet for Deb. Other than that, still the sedum sexangular, monarda, asiatic lily, daylilies, and whatever else catches my eye out there.

Anyone looking to move out any kind of hosta- I'd appreciate some. Susie, if that Christmas Tree hosta needs a home still, I'd be happy to give it one.

Deb, I'd love some Jacks. Those cuties are so fun to see in the spring and I missed them this year. I have space in the garden right next to the red rhubarb for a green one, too, if no one else wants it. I love rhubarb pie and waiting for mine to have enough stalks to cut down is like sweet torture!

Hedy, if you have enough left over, I'd like a pink campanula.

That's it- I'll check again later or in the a.m. to see if anyone else has a request.

See y'all there!

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Cat2 - if you still have the monarda and it's red (AND no one else speaks up for it, since I think I've already put in a request for some Jacob Cline from Hedy?), I'll take some for the new butterfly garden. I'm not familiar with the sedum sexangular but have a growing sedum collection so if no one claims it, I'll take it off your hands as well...;)

Anyone interested in hosta "Pizzazz"? It refuses to grow (or bloom) for me and has stayed the same size as it was when I bought it two years ago. Still has the price marker and information tag (from Young's no less!) if anyone's interested. I believe it's supposed to be a large hosta variety. Just not in my yard, apparently...

/ Marty

• ronr
    17 years ago

the weather isn't lookin too good for tommorow so i figured better safe than sorry.
    i set everything up in the barn,if you drive straight down the driveway you will see a big red barn,everything is set up in there.
    i figure we can always go outside if the weather is nice but at least this way we will be dry regardless,
    ron

• susieoc
    17 years ago

Cat2 - The Christmas tree is yours! We are planning to be there around 10:00 but definitely before you have to leave at 11:00.

Susie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

You're the man, Ron!

Sue

• siennact
    17 years ago

That's great!! Thanks Ron!!

Ok I have my list, did I miss anyone?

Sue- 'Little Honey' from BAN

Ritchie- shasta daisies

Abi - Strawberries

cat- veronica 'Red Fox'

Paige- artemesia

And if I have time to dig tomorrow, which is unlikely, I'll grab some monarda for George. That might have to wait until spring.

I'm going to be LATE, I have to do church stuff and I'm leaving here hopefully around 10:30 so I should be there around 11:00 or 11:30. But I'll definitely be there!

tina

• aeiger
    17 years ago

I remember it was one of the very first swaps, we had it near a lake in a park in Monroe. IT POURED!!! But I seem to remember a good time was had by all. George, we live close enough to you that we can dig and deliver the yucca sometime this week. See you all there! /Abi

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Oooh, Tina, you did get me a 'Little Honey'. Thanks so much! I actually found one in a nursery in the Rochester, NY area last weekend but afterwards I wished I had bought two so now I'm all set.

Marty, I dug a white swamp milkweed today, Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet'. You're welcome to it for your butterfly garden if you want.

I did end up going to Carol's and came home with a load of plants. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out where to plant them all...lol. Despite cutting the time a bit short today I was able to get everything dug that I promised. The only thing I didn't get was the Salvia koyame for Hedy. It's in full bloom right now so I think it may be best if I wait til spring for that one.

OK, time to get baking.

See you tomorrow.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Sue -- I'd LOVE the milkweed! (hope those monarch larvae are listening!) Thanks so much for thinking of it! If it does as magnificently as your grasses from last spring (Morning Light in particular, which has been such a source of joy all summer!), it will be awash in butterflies next summer!

/ Marty

• paigect
    17 years ago

Ugh! We had a neighborhood tag sale today which I spent the last 2 nights preparing for and was up at 6:00 am. So I'm just now able to check in. I'm still coming tomorrow, rain or shine, but unfortunately my friend who was giving me the Dicentra and Astible divisions now has pneummonia (sp?), poor thing. So I only have a few Astilbe from my own garden and my own Dicentra has never gotten big enough to divide. Sorry! Everything else is already in pots except for the Phlox for Hedy and the Echinacea. Those will be dug in the morning, and pots labeled.

Oh, and I was going to bring Tuna Mac but the tag sale was neverending so it will be pasta salad of some sort from Whole Foods.

I'll be there around 10:30. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• paigect
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ron, for a great swap! It was fun meeting so many members of the board and being able to put a face with a name. What a nice group of people. I only wish I wasn't so rushed so I could have hung out a little longer.

I already planted the lemon and creeping thyme around my knockout roses (they looks so good with thyme as a groundcover!), and I put the Anise Hyssop in pots on my patio so people can pick and chew the leaves while we're sitting out there. I spent the rest of the afternoon eyeballing the garden and placing plants here and there to try to figure out the best placement. Planting will continue over the course of the week.

Thanks to everyone for the fabulous, healthy plants you brought - - they put my dried up shriveled Coreopsis to shame! What a boon for a fairly novice gardener.

And Ron, thanks for the gift certificate (I won the raffle)! I didn't spend it yet because I'm having major tree work done and will need new trees/shrubs in the spring. So I'll spend it at the next swap. I had never been to Youngs before and they have such beautiful trees and shrubs.

All told it was a wonderful, if muddy, day!

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I would like to thank Ron also for hosting the swap once again!!! I had a great time seeing everyone and meeting new folks again!!! Gotta LOVE those whoppie pies too! Whoever made them can you pass the recipe along? Thanks, Richie

• susieoc
    17 years ago

My friend/neighbor and I thoroughly enjoyed today's plant swap. Thanks, Ron, for hosting, grilling, etc. You really go above and beyond.

George, I measured Little Honey and she is 4x3. I would consider her a kind of Princess in the garden. I hope you're busy rooting chelone.

I must go out now in this horrid humidity and plant my new plants - both swapped and purchased.

Susie

• siennact
    17 years ago

Richie, that's Sue with the whoopie pies. I asked her to bring the recipe to the swap but then I forgot all about it... maybe she will post it for us!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I'll trade the whoopie pie recipe for the blueberry cake, the pumpkin bars, the brownies, etc., the heck with plants...lol...let's have a bake off at the next swap.

Whoopie Pies

Sift together:

2 C flour
    5 T Hersheys Cocoa
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

In a large bowl beat together until smooth:

2 egg yolks (separate eggs and reserve whites for filling)
    1/2 C shortening
    1 C sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Add the sifted ingredients alternately to the creamed ingredients with 1 C Milk. Continue beating til batter is smooth.

Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 375 F for 7-8 minutes or until done. When cool make sandwiches using the filling recipe below:

2-1/2 C confectioners sugar
    2 egg whites
    1/2 C shortening
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and beat with an electic mixer until filling forms stiff peaks.

OK, who goes next?

Sue

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Sue. Here is the pumpkin bar recipe. I made a double recipe on the frosting so as to make sure I had enough. Most frosting recipes do not make enough to put as much frosting as I like on the cake. Enjoy, Richie

Pumpkin Bars

Combine in a bowl:

4 large eggs
    1 - 15 ounce can pumpkin (approximately 2 cups)
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil

Mix in a separate bowl and then add to pumpkin mixture:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cloves

Bake in a greased 15"x11"x1" (jellyroll) pan at 350 degrees for 30 Â 35 minutes until firm. After cooling, ice with cream cheese frosting, recipe follows.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Mix together:

3 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    1 Tablespoon whole milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (approximately)

Spread over cooled cake and SPRINKLE some chopped walnuts over top if desired. Cut into bars.

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Another GREAT (if slightly OT but who cares) idea!

Here's the blueberry buckle (courtesy of Lyman Orchards):

Cake:
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk (whole or skim, doesn't matter)
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Blend sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Blend in milk and remaining dry ingredients. Add blueberries. Spread batter (which will be VERY thick and stiff -- don't worry, just push it into the pan with brute force!) into a greased 9x9 inch pan. Sprinkle topping (recipe below) over batter and bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

Topping:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 cup soft butter

Mix ingredients (food processor is fine - just pulse) until crumbly.

Can't wait to try all these - thanks!

(More on-topic: who brought the big clump of elephant ears? When I went to repot them today, I found a plastic bag of bulbs tucked at the base...any idea who was to have those and/or what they are? If they were brought for someone, I'll happily mail them on if you send me the address... I feel guilty enough already with a garage full of plants!)

/ Marty

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

Sue, In the whoopie could I use butter instead of shortening in the batter and filling? Thanks, Richie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Richie, I've never substituted butter in the whoopie pie recipe but something tells me it wouldn't work as well. Try it and see.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Richie -- for what it's worth, I don't think it will either; the shortening provides a stability (keeping the "fluff" in the filling) that the butter won't. (That's why they used to use beef fat for that fluffy white filling in Hostess cupcakes (boy, YUM! those were the days!)

But I agree -- try it and see.

• aeiger
    17 years ago

OK, now I am embarrassed. All those great recipies and mine from a box!

1 box Betty Crocker brownie mix
    substitute apple sauce for the oil and
    egg beaters for the egg.
    add 1/4 cup sultanas and 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
    Follow baking directions on box. That's right folks, the brownies were fat free and healthy. /Abi

• noticklish
    17 years ago

aha-I found the swap posts and missed it by 2 days. I was looking on the new england exchange forum. oops! Just like george I lost my purple emperor sedum for no apparent reason. A brilliant sedum was growing just fine by its' side too...along with pink chablis and autumn joy and some hens n chicks. Although now that I think about it the other purple one I have (black jack) is not doing well either.

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I am going to try trans fat free crisco shortening when I make these. Thanks, Richie