SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Paging Sedum Expert Skybird

michelle_co
15 years ago

... or anyone else who grows sedum.

I am getting ready to plant some new things in an old garden area that is, well, ugly at the moment. It's next to where the chicken house was (it got moved). We will be building a shed over the basement steps. The little tree is a silver buffalo berry, and there is a big clump of hardy Pampas grass. There used to be two grass clumps, but one died. The nursery pots are going back to the nursery as soon as I can take them in! Darn they are ugly!

{{gwi:1203680}}

Last year I put in a raised bed at the north end.

{{gwi:1203681}}

I thought this area might be good for lavendar and sedum, and anything else that grows in poor dry soil. Here's the sedum I picked up. A few types of hens and chicks, Angelina, and Emporer's Wave.

{{gwi:1203683}}

The "soil" in this area is several inches of roadbase (gravel & clay soil mix) with about 1-2" of glass mulch on top. The glass mulch need replenished or else covered with bark mulch. It got mixed up with roadbase when I built the raised bed.

What I need help with is some planting & arranging ideas, and some of your know-how on amending the soil to make my plants do well. Last, what they need for water. There is a drip line through that area, and I could give them supplemental water if they need a little. The other sedums (?) I am growing are in plain old roadbase near my rock steps and they do OK once they get established. I just give them a little water with the hose once and a great while.

Thanks!

Michelle

Comments (13)