SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

FALL SWAP 2016 -What Plants Are You Bringing & What Plants Do You Want

aloha2009
7 years ago

For the 2016 Fall Swap on Sept 24th starting at 11:00 a.m.

Though I love my garden, so much of what I have is more of the
plants that most already have in their garden already. Perhaps a newcomer or
someone starting from scratch might be interested.

If anyone wants any May Night Salvia I'm your source. I've got
it in so many areas.

I have Autumn Joy Sedums (likely will be full of color at the
swap). This is my go to plant for filling in. Super easy to propagate and
behaves itself nicely.

Even though the area hasn't completely filled in, I would be
glad to get someone else started on Ajuga Chocolate Chip and Royalty (unless
Skybird wants to keep hers trimmed up).

I have some purple & white iris (multi color) that I could
separate.

I was going to move some Bee Balm - a magenta color, if anyone
would like some.

Shasta Daisy Becky - again from Skybird's garden.

If someone can tell me when to harvest and how to harvest hardy
hibiscus seeds I'd be glad to have those on hand.

I've got Dead Nettle with purple/lilac flowers (found a home that it
loves and it's growing like crazy).

I haven't seen any more Russian sage pop up for quite awhile,
but that's always a possibility.

I should have some David Phlox to give away too.

I'm hoping someone may want something.

For wanting I could use some Red Valerian, the more the better.
I love it's carefree long bloom time. I'll take plant or seed or both. I’ve
got a few in my yard already, but I’d like it much more prevalent.

I’d love to have any peony that lizbest1 has or anyone else.

Zinnia, snapdragon or
cosmos seeds

Yellow Sedum if you’re trying to get rid of it. I’m making it
into a “lawn”

Hydrangeas – anything that grows well here.

Any colorful shade plants.

Allium bulbs – I have seeds but would like a for sure success.

It's nice to have something to give away this year. Though my garden has a ways to go until it's "finished", I feel I've turned the corner to being able to start giving plants away.

Comments (51)

• Alyssa Schear
    7 years ago

I have a curling commitment on the 24th and can't make it but I have some red velarian you can have if no one brings you any.

• amester
    7 years ago

I have geranium sanguineum, alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle), oenothera macrocarpa (evening primrose), raspberries, coreopsis (Skybird - I have a Jethro Tull that came true from seed! It's yours if you want it), viola labradorica, blue oat grass, Skybird's famous yellow columbine, 'May Night' salvia, and maybe some gaillardia (blanket flower).

I'm starting a new full time job this coming Tuesday so my time will be getting tight but I'll try to fill as many requests as I can. :)

Liz, the geranium is a groundcover that has been very well-behaved in my yard. So is Skybird's 'Waterperry Blue' veronica. I think if both of them got all the water they wanted they could get a little out of hand but that hasn't been the case with me. I could also try to get a start of lamium - I think it's 'Orchid Frost' - that's been super polite (again, little water) but needs shade.

Aloha, some of my geum have seeded - they do need SOME sun, at least 4 hours, but are good for shade color. I have 'Mrs. Bradshaw' and an orange...I think it's 'Fireball'? Sadly I have no idea which one the seedlings are, but I can bring one for you if you're interested.

Liz, ping me if you want to carpool.

Can't wait!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    7 years ago

If Zach is coming, I will bring him the cactus pad I promised. I also have some hardy hibiscus seeds harvested last Fall, a few baby hostas, a hyssop if I can successfully transplant it, a few different types of some sedums. Tomorrow I'll go out and survey for some other items.

I also have a pair of Bogs if someone is interested. They are size 9 like this but solid green:

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/BOG/BOG0058/GNMUL.jpg

I'm always in the market for: hostas. I would like a Jack Frost brunnera if someone has one to give. I'm always looking for hypertufa or other containers, gardening magazines, rusty garden junk.

• Alyssa Schear
    7 years ago

What color hyssop is it? I'm searching for a pink. I have Boyne raspberries if anyone would like some. Lots of oregano. I'll should have more perennials next year.

7 years ago

I'm pretty sure the one I have is Coronado which is a yellow/pink variety.

• amester
    7 years ago

Popmama, I'd love your Bogs if no one else needs them. I have a Jack Frost brunnera, I should be able to get a division out for you (I've never tried but it can't be THAT hard!). Give me a year or two and I'll have hostas for you too!

• tomatoz1
    7 years ago

I hope to have plants and seeds. I have bergenia, lavender, a spring blooming daisy that is close to the ground (a volunteer) - no clue what the name is, and a blue mist spirea - so far.

• gardenchloe
    7 years ago

Here is what I have so far

Seeds: Evening primrose, Crocosmia Lucifer, Purple Malva, Fuscia Cleome

Peony Sarah Bernhardt (maybe). Since I am not experienced, I don't know how big the root is. (I might have to send a picture to Liz when I dig it up.)

Hardy Purple Ice Plant (Delosperma cooperi)

Aloha2009, I'd like some of your purple & white iris if you end up dividing some.

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

popmama - I have a whole box full of past issues of Sunset Magazine.
    Are you interested in any of those? I've been hanging on to them, as
    well as some other magazines, thinking I'd could find a retirement
    center, school, etc. that could use them. Called a couple of retirement
    homes and they don't want them :^/ Maybe they just have too many or
    something ...

I should have a few red geraniums that I started
    from cuttings (maybe not enough for dibs) and some Lemon Balm, and possibly
    some "pond grass" (I got some from a swap awhile back, and don't
    remember who brought them. She didn't know the name of them, but they
    are great next to my container fountain/pond and have really taken
    off).

rossnagl - how did the russian sage do? I can dig more up for you if you want it!

Lizbest1 - if you have a blackberry lily and a gold iris you could put dibs on for me, that would be great. But if you don't have enough for dibs, I'll just look for them at swap time :)

Marj

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

I'll make sure to bring plenty, mstywoods! I have more than what I wanted, was trying for candy lily but got more blackberry lily instead. Like them but I wanted the mixed colors instead of all yellow and orange, am trying more seed this fall to get the variety of color I'm aiming for.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    7 years ago

Aloha2009: When you say yellow sedum, do you know which variety? If it's Angelina, I have plenty. Ditto for just about any other sedum that Skybird has generously shared over the years.

I'd love to get more of anyone's irises. I have a neighbor who would be delighted to get any kind of iris, should anyone be wanting to get rid of some. I love irises and am always happy to take extras to add to my own garden. If I have a chance to divide mine before the swap, I can bring some, but I am terrible about keeping track of what kind they are, so they'd be mystery irises.

I would also like a few May Night salvias, Amester or Aloha. And I would love to get some Shasta Daisy starts, since mine did not survive last winter. If you have plenty of coreopsis, that would be great, but no worries if you don't have a lot or other people want them. If you have extras of your lovely perennial geraniums, I'd be in the market for those.

I can bring cuttings/starts of things by request. These would be freshly gathered from my garden rather than being rooted, and/or freshly potted up.

I have most of Skybird's sedums (angelina, coral carpet, dragon's blood, kamtschaticum, tri-color, and maybe one or two more). I have sempervivums of various sorts. I have a couple of different ajugas, all originally from Skybird (chocolate chip, royalty, giant). I have Himalayn fleece flower (Persicaria affinis).

I can bring lamb's ears. These were from a previous plant swap. They do have flowers and flower stalks and they seem to be rather vigorous in my yard, so be warned if you are looking for one that is better behaved.

I am not sure what else there is that people might be interested in. Self-seeding forget-me-nots? Maybe a few walking onion bulbils?

Thank you to everyone who will be swapping fun things!

• Tee Arvada (z 6a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks for the invite Aloha, I'm such a newbie that I need to get the name of two plants I want to share! Looks like fun. Garlic chives are great perennials to bring bees into your garden and their white floral ball atop a long stem is so dramatic. I can bring some to share if anyone wants.

• tomatoz1
    7 years ago

If anyone has extra purple ice plant, I'd love a few,

I also have garlic if anyone's interested.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tee Arvada, glad you can make it! Post some pics of your plants and quite possibly someone can help you with the name.

Tomatoz1, I've got one tiny purple ice plant. I had tried to propagate the one I purchased in the spring but no luck. Maybe some day I'll be able to share that.

Polygonum - I can give you a lot of May Night Saliva. I was going to remove one very large clump from the front yard and I have probably about 30 from around the yard that I no longer want.

Too bad all you iris lovers weren't around earlier. I ended up tossing a large bag of them...too busy to even post on CL. I still have 4 clumps that could get divided since there seems to be interest.

These leaves garden.lovetoknow.com/different-kinds-stonecrop-sedum#3 look like the one I have except mine have a dark green color similar to blue grass - hence why I am using if for a lawn replacement. I planted some clippings from Skybird in July 2015 and then gave them a "haircut" in the spring of 2016. They didn't grow much this summer, so I'll probably wait until next spring to gets some new starts from my yard. If anyone needs to do a "haircut" on theirs or wants to replace it with something else, I could really use some more.

I also have a tam juniper that has no home in my yard. It looks fair though, just seems to hate it where it is. I once located it to another spot and it started to perk up but ultimately it made it's way back to landscape wise I really wanted. Ultimately it went back to looking lackluster. It's not very big (in part because it doesn't like it's current home and in part because we keep transplanting).

We're only 1 week away!

7 years ago

Speaking of rock, I'm in the market for some flat rocks with a diameter of no bigger than dinner plate size for a dry-stack bed I am making. If anyone has any rocks like that, I'd be happy to take have them. Bring one, bring many. Doesn't matter because one will still add to what I have and what I need to complete my project.

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

How large is your river rock, aloha? I may take some off your hands as I'm always looking for some to add to our dry creek bed and borders. Nothing too big, but bigger than the normal landscape/pea gravel type.

• gardenchloe
    7 years ago

Hi, Tomotoz1

I had transplanted 6 purple ice plants a couple of weeks ago for the swap, but it looks like most are not surviving. :( Bottom of the stems on most of them are thinning out. It looks like two might still be okay. If either one survives, I can set it aside for you.

• tomatoz1
    7 years ago

Thank you, gardenchloe. I appreciate your saving whatever survives.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mstywoods, I ended up deleting the river rock as we ended up putting it on the side of the house for drainage.

My DH will still be digging in the yard in the fall and I'm sure we'll uncover some more. Since you live so close, I'll keep you in mind.

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

Oh, ok Aloha! LOL - missed that you deleted that! That's ok, though. I picked up a little bit from someone on craigslist yesterday. But if you do uncover some more you want to get rid of, please let me know! I only live about 20 min. from you.

Thanks!

Marj

• gjcore
    7 years ago

aloha2009, it seems to me that you don't have messaging enabled on Houzz. Anyways I need the address of the swap.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I messaged everyone my contact information. If anyone was missed, please let me know. The weather isn't looking so hot (literally) but we can use the walkout basement for eating and mingling and go outside for the actual plant swapping.

It will be interesting how many show up. I know I've invited a few others outside GW.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    7 years ago

Hi All!

I’m back on the east side of the hills again (after three
    wonderful weeks on the “other” side!) and am signing in here to post on the
    swap threads! [I’m still checking RMG
    every now and then to see if the Nasty Popup is gone—and it’s still there—which
    is why I haven’t been!]

Since I’ve been gone for so long, most of the stuff I’ll be
    bringing this time will be freshly dug, bare root plants! Definitely rooted, but not stuck in soil in
    pots—which wouldn’t make any sense at all to use soil to stick them in pots for
    a couple days just to have it all dumped right back out! I’m going for well rooted starts that I’ll be
    wrapping in wet paper and putting in plastic bags! They’ll be fine if they can be planted
    within a day or two, or for several days if kept in the fridge!

I’m not doing dibs again this time, but I’m planning to dig
    two or more of the following things:

[Not putting them in pots this time will actually mean I’m
    bringing “bigger” starts since I’m limited as to how much I can get in my
    little “pots!”]

Ajuga ‘Arboretum Giant’ – The one with the “biggest” leaves
    and “tallest” flowers!

Ajuga ‘Black Scallop’ – I only have a small patch of this
    one and it doesn’t spread as much as the others, so this is one I don’t give
    away very often! Really DARK, shinny
    leaves (when it’s watered!), and it’s my favorite Ajuga!

Ajuga ‘Chocolate Chip’ – The one with the “smallest” leaves
    and the “shortest” flowers!

Ajuga ‘Royalty’ – My regular pretty “bronzy” one!

Chrysanthemum, Shasta daisy ‘Becky’

Galium, Sweet Woodruff – This stuff is looking really bad
    right now after not being watered at all for over three weeks (it likes water!),
    but the roots will be fine and next spring it should really take off! INVASIVE groundcover—that has a WONDERFUL
    “vanilla” (or Sweet Grass) scent—both the foliage and the flowers! I grow it in my Escape Proof Garden!

Myosotis, Forget-me-nots – Odds are these will look REALLY
    bad by next spring if planted now, but if they bloom at all next year they’ll
    spread seeds that will come up and look better for the following years!

Veronica ‘Waterperry’ – The “creeping” Veronica I love! Ruffly leaves and flowers! Mine is well watered (Amy) and it still
    doesn’t get “out of control” on me! [Tho
    I do cut mine down to the ground at least once a year—which I’m sure helps
    “contain” it!]

ON REQUEST I can also bring a couple rooted starts for:

FLOWERLESS lamb’s ear!
    The flowerless has larger leaves than the blooming kind, and since it
    doesn’t bloom (which really messes with the basal foliage!) the leaves/plant
    looks good all summer! I’m not bringing
    these unless somebody says they want some because I sent three potted ones to
    the spring swap and none of them were picked, so no point in bringing some this
    time unless I know for sure somebody wants them! So if you want a start, ASK FOR IT!

There are also a few things I had in pots before I left
    town—that Barb has been taking care of for me—and I’m not absolutely positive
    anymore what was there but I’m almost certain there were a couple of the really
    nice spike Veronica, ‘Royal Candles’, and a couple of the ‘White Nugget’
    Iceplant.

I’ll also have (unrooted) semps for the one I have labeled
    “O”! It’s pretty much “just plain
    green,” but some of them get HUGE—I’d estimate 6” up to possibly 10” at
    times! Probably won’t have any other
    semps this time as they’re looking pretty bad right now—after being way
    overwatered before I left, trying to get the soil wet enough for things to make
    it—and then not getting any water at all while I was gone, and apparently not a
    drop of rain here while I was gone either!
    So they’ve all been terrorized for a month, and they look like it!

I think that’s all!
    If I come up with anything else it’ll be a surprise!

Looking forward to the swap,

Skybird

P. S. Almost forgot
    this! Yes, Amy, I’d love to have another
    go at ‘Jethro Tull’!!! The “last one” I
    got turned out to have “plain” petals!
    It’ll be Regifted some time next summer!

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

Hey skybird - I'd like some of your flowerless lambs ear! I'd like to get it to replace some of my flowering type (although I like the purple flowers, I do not like what it does to the foliage after it blooms - I've gone out and snipped the bloom stalks off before they are in full bloom, but the foliage still looks raggedy. I'm thinking maybe if I did the snipping while the stalks are really small, maybe the foliage would stay looking better - but I can never seem to get that done that in time! ). Thanks!

See you soon,

Marj

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought there was someone here that had flowerless lambs ear. Skybird, if you have even 1 extra start after mstywoods gets enough, I too would love to get some started.

• amester
    7 years ago

Marj, are you still collecting ornamental grasses? I have some sea oats (chasmanthium latifolium) if you or anyone else is interested.

Skybird - Jethro for you! Do you think it could be reverting in its 2nd or 3rd year??

Polygonum - coreopsis and geranium, check!

Popmama - going to see what I can do about getting a piece of 'Jack Frost' for you. :)

7 years ago

Misty and Aloha, I should be able to get a pretty good chunk of the lamb's ears for each of you! (It's starting to trample on one of my hen & chicks on the one side!)

Amy, yes, I am starting to think that might be what's happening, 'cause I'm pretty sure you said that the one I have now had the "Jethro petals" before you gave it to me, yet all the flowers it's had since I've had it have been "just plain flat!" One more try and then I think maybe we throw in the towel! Thanks for bringing me one more to try!

Skybird

P.S. Misty, I think if you snipped the flower stems out of the flowering lamb's ear as soon as you see them it might just keep trying to produce more all summer--since that's "it's purpose in life!" With the "Big Ears" variety you won't have to worry about it!

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

I'd love a sea oats, Amester! Thanks!!

Looking forward to the Big Ears, Skybird :)

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If anyone else is able to correspond with gjcore my contact info please do. For some reason she hasn't received my info.

Skybird, I love semps (had to look that up). I got one from you awhile ago and have it divided it numerous times. (200 to where I work alone!) I'd like to try your Black Scallop ajuga too. The area I placed the chocolate chip and Royalty is filling in nicely.

If anyone has some coreopsis that blooms well I'd love to have a start. I have a huge unwatered and almost non blooming plant that I have never fertilized (I thought I read they don't care for fertilizer???). I get a few blooms every year. I don't know if I can't find the proper home for it but I've given up on that particular plant in my yard.

I'll dig up a few things, but if anyone wants a clump of something in my yard, I'll likely be able to provide a start (or 2 or 3...). I had to get permission to propagate my Dazzleberry Sedum so I won't be able to share that one. Otherwise I think everything else would be up for grabs.

7 years ago

Does anyone know if Zach is coming? I am planning to bring him a cactus pad. I guess I'll bring it and if he doesn't come, maybe someone else will want it. I will also bring some different sedums to see if poly wants/doesn't have any of them. I have one that looks a bit like autumn joy but it's very short and doesn't seem to get a flower. I also have some of the variegated pink sedum.

I also potted up one cutting from a Christmas cactus and some indoor succulents if anyone is interested in those.

7 years ago

GREG - GREG - GREG

GREG/gjcore! Have you received Aloha's address yet??? I just got an email from her saying she had sent it to you twice but, apparently, you've asked for it again! She asked if I have your email address--but I don't since you weren't coming to the swaps yet when I was having them at my house (and the only addresses I have are of the people who attended one at my house!)

POST HERE if you still need the address/directions to Aloha for Saturday! We'll figure it out somehow if you still need it. If you did receive one of the emails from her, post that here too so she knows for sure you got it!

Skybird

7 years ago

Finally got all my plants ready and tagged for in the morning! Boy, I thought I watered everything pretty well on Monday and Tuesday after I got home, but I guess not--the soil was dry and rock hard again! Most of them came out pretty much bare root, but they're all nicely bedded down in wet newspaper in plastic bags, so probably happier than they were in the ground! Wound up with a total of 30 "things" I'm bringing this time.

Have a nice little "clump" of lamb's ear for each of you, Misty and Aloha! (Aloha, I'm not doing dibs on the other things, but I have two of the 'Black Scallop' so you can get one in the first rounds of picking!)

Also remembered that I have a couple bags of dried lavender I'll be bringing if anybody wants a bag for sachets or something!

If anybody still gets the newspaper and has a little stack they haven't put in the recycling dumpster yet, I could use a pile of them! Not the "supplements," I still get some of them in my mailbox, but they're harder to use than "the real part" of the paper! I didn't think about it when I stopped getting it or I would have saved the "last pile" for me! Now when I need some to wrap plants in or something I'm scrounging around for the last few little pieces I have!

Also, didn't think of this before, but if anybody has "nursery pots" bigger than one gallon that they're going to "dispose of" somehow, I can always use them. The bigger the better! I use them for all sorts of gardening stuff around the yard! Have plenty of one gallon size, so no more of those. Can always use more of the "2" square ones" that fit in the flats too if anybody has any they're not gonna reuse.

See you all tomorrow!

Skybird

• gardenchloe
    7 years ago

Tomatoz1, I have the two tiny purple ice plants. Good thing is that they spread very fast.

I also have a cymbidium orchid that I am bringing.

Liz, I am bringing the peony. Maybe you can help me divide the root if needed.

7 years ago

Poly,

I found the tag on that blue-ish short sedum I gave you. It says it's "Lime Zinger". Oddly, when I look at the online photos of lime zinger, it doesn't really look like it does in my garden. In my garden, I've never seen any pink on the edges and have yet to see any flowers. Maybe it will surprise me one of these days!

• mstywoods
    7 years ago

Popmama - I got this shade plant from you, but I've forgotten the name of it! What is it again?

7 years ago

It's a heuchera. I'm not sure of the variety. I probably didn't keep the tag. But if I did, and I come across it, I'll let you know.

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

Enjoyed the exchange and the visit! Thanks Aloha for hosting!

• amester
    7 years ago

The heuchera kind of looked like 'Electra' or maybe 'Shocking'...?

• Tee Arvada (z 6a)
    7 years ago

Thanks, Aloha2009- it was a great afternoon!

amester, my funny punny new friend, hopefully you'll come see my new flower bed soon

7 years ago

LIZ!

If you see this, I have a question about one of the Iris I got from you! The name on the tag looks like Abigail Provides! I think it's supposed to be a pink-on-pink, or raspberry and pink flower, but when I googled that name I'm not coming up with anything at all. I am coming up with an Abigail-something-else that's lavender and yellow, but it's definitely a different name than the one I got! Do you have a picture of the one I got--or a link to a pic of it online! When you described it it sounded really pretty, and I sure would like to see a pic of it and not need to wait all the way till next spring to see it!

I did find pics of 'Superstition', and it's REALLY cool! Know I"m gonna love that one!

The Peony I got from you ('Joker' - also found pics and love it!) is currently in a pot in store-bought soil until I can get the place in front of the house ready for it! The soil out there is Potter's Clay and needs some serious work before I can put the Peony in the ground--but it'll be planted out there before it gets COLD out!

Thanks for bringing such nice plants to share,

Skybird

7 years ago

Skybird,

I found a picture of Abigail Provides here:

http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbAthruE/TbAbigailProvides

Interestingly, I also found a listing for it here:

http://garden.org/plants/view/555204/Tall-Bearded-Iris-Iris-Abigail-Provides/

It says one member has and guess who that member is? Yup...Liz. :-)

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

Funny you should find that listing, Popmama! That picture is more purple than I remember blooming in my garden. I know I took a pic when it bloomed but I have so many that aren't sorted from the APS convention that I'm not able to find it right now, I'll post it when/if I find it.

I find the plant files on Garden.org are a good backup for my listing on my desktop, am able to bring up their website while I'm out shopping for plants to see if I have it already. There is also HUGE iris trading activity on that site so if you have named or even unnamed pretty irises and want to trade for more it's a good one to join. I just added some of mine last week, I'll probably try to trade there next spring to grow my collection and I'll add pictures next year as well.

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

Skybird, that peony root is dormant so won't need to water it unless the soil is completely dry. Peonies are much more apt to root rot in the fall/winter, I completely stop watering mine around this time every year and only add enough water to the planting hole for new additions/divisions to make sure there are no air pockets. Glad you're happy with your trades--you always bring so much of things everyone wants; I'm so glad you like stuff I brought! Joker is one of my all time favorite peonies, as the bloom ages it fades into interesting colors--almost like a new bloom every day!

7 years ago

Thanks for finding that pic, PopMama! I looked thru several pages and if it came up on my search I completely missed it!

Liz, what you described at the swap was "more pink," so I hope what you remember is right! Please don't spend all your time looking for your pic, but if you should happen to run into it sometime over winter I would enjoy seeing it! If you don't run into it I will--hopefully--get to see it up-close-and-personal in spring! When that happens I will definitely be taking some of my own pics--however since google catastrophized WebAlbums a month ago I don't know if I'm even able to post links to my pics anymore!

You mentioned that one of the Iris I got ['Superstition' and 'Abigail Provides'] was "shorter" than "others"--I think! If you did, was it 'Superstition' that was the shorter one?

In the last couple days I got some big (2-3' X 18") patches of the "bad dirt" dug out along the walk by the side of my deck and, saving the more friable soil that was there, I've added a whole buncha home-grown, almost finished, compost to what was left! Have a "decent place" to plant both Iris now and am planning to get them in the ground tomorrow! I also saved some of the "better" natural soil to use when I dig out the potter's clay by the front walk where the peony is going! Will be completely removing the potter's clay, replacing it with my "saved" "better" natural soil, and then adding a WHOLE LOT of compost out there--including some that isn't quite so "almost finished!" Will be transplanting some worms too! I'm gonna make a Good Home for that peony! When I looked up the pics of it, one of the Way Cool things about it was how very different all the pics look--and, remembering you had said how much it "changed" from day to day, I'm really looking forward to seeing a few flowers on that too! Will be surprised if I get any next spring, but, with "good soil," I expect it to be taking off by the following spring! Can hardly wait!

I had to water it in when I put it in the pot--my store bought soil is just "moist" when I use it, but, except for watering it in to "settle the soil" when I put it in the ground I'll leave it alone all winter--unless we get an extremely dry winter! Part of my reason for improving the soil in a pretty large area is so I'll know it has good drainage, so if we should get a snowy winter I won't have to worry about it sitting in WET CLAY!

Thank you again for bringing such "cool" plants! (Yes, I realize everybody's definition of "cool plants" is different!) to swap! Since I already have so many things, and since people have started to bring things they originally got from me I don't often find many things that I want or don't already have, and this is the first swap in a long time where I was salivating and waiting to "pick!" BUT! I'll have you know that you created quite a "problem" for me!!! With my tiny yard I really did need to do some thinkin' to figure out where to put my new booty! "Problem" and all, thank you, Liz!!!

>>> APS = American Phytopathological Society! Egad girl! Are you seriously into this stuff or what??? Did you REALLY go to a plant pathology convention?????

Skybird

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

No Skybird, American PEONY Society convention!!!! And it's Superstition that's shorter, Abigail Provides is pretty much a typical tall bearded iris. Joker is a pretty quick grower, even for me! I got blooms from it first spring so hopefully you will as well. And you're very welcome! I'm already dividing a few to get some good trades growing for next spring and thinking of which to stage for dividing next fall! Hopefully I'll have more that the peony enthusiasts will like!

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

Found those pics and it is more purple than I remembered, I guess I got it confused with Raptor Red. Here's the pics from my garden of the irises I brought.

Raptor Red

Superstition

Abigail Provides

Champagne Elegance

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

And here's a link from the peony forum here with the best pics I've seen on the extreme changes of Joker. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3924026/mrs-fdr-amabilis-and-joker?n=12

7 years ago

I LOVE 'Joker', Liz! That pic with the picotee is incredible! I love anything with a picotee! When I was looking at the google pics one of the things I noticed is that in some stages it almost looks translucent! VERY cool! Hope you're right that I get a couple flowers next spring!

'Abigail' is more purple than I was expecting, but it is real pretty! I have three different purple/lavender ones already, but none quite like that so I'll wait to see what I think of it next spring! From the pic I think I'm probably gonna like it a lot! It IS a nice "warm" purple--and when they're blooming they're ALL my "favorites!" I had time to get them in the ground yet today and they're both pretty close to each other, and I think the two colors will be really pretty together--if they bloom at the same time!.

I only have one pink Iris, 'Cherub', at this point and would kinda like another pink! Maybe something will show up at one of the swaps--tho I really don't have a CLUE where I'd plant another Iris! I took three of my "yellow columbine" out to put in the two I just got from you!

I think I'll have starts for a couple of my Iris by next spring--tho I don't think they'll be as big or nice as the ones you brought! My one light lavender is real "ruffly" looking, and I go all gaga about it when it's blooming! And 'Cherub' is really pretty too, but I already have starts of that one promised to a couple people, so not sure if there'll be enough for the swap. But might be surprised how many new rhizomes start to grow in spring!

Kinda glad that YOUR "APS" isn't really a plant pathology society!!! That was kind of pretty far out there when I found that!

Skybird

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

So sorry I had that one confused, Skybird. There were just a couple that really stood out for me last year and one of them was the Raptor Red. When I was looking up the info on the ones I brought (I was doing it on the Garden.org plant database so I'd at least have a bit of a description of each) the wording on Abigail Provides sounded so much like what I remembered from Raptor Red that I ASSUMED it was the one I liked so much from spring. Superstition was absolutely my favorite iris this spring though so you got one really nice one, anyway! Not that AP is bad, just not a standout for a limited space. I'm hoping I can get better pics of all this next spring so I'll actually have pictures from my garden of each thing I bring next trade--whether it's an iris, lily or peony.