SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Formulas for Success (one hopes)

digit
17 years ago

Fertilizers:

16-16-16 - All flower beds receive compost every 2 years but this starts off everything with a balanced offering.

MIRACLEGRO - Before they begin flowering, this stuff will add to their beauty. Longer term, I will apply this fertilizer about the first of each month from July on.

WHITNEY FARMS LAWN FERTILIZER - This is my standard veggie fertilizer (the price is right! ;o). The vegetables panic at the sound of a lawn mower but other than that, I've seen no grass-like behavior (except in the corn ;o). I realize that this product does not have much phosphorus but I'm hoping that there is, at least, some carry-over of the bone meal component from one year to the next. The list of ingredients makes me think that this is essentially "ground up chickens" - which is okay with me. I mean, parts is parts . . .

Organic Sprays:

ROTENONE-PYRETHRIN - Gotta have it for the flea beetles. These days, I'm using it in the greenhouse because the soap doesn't kill the aphids very well in there.

INSECTICIDAL SOAP & PALMOLIVE GREEN - Kill aphids by dehydration so works well in our dry climate. Of course, you can kill plants by dehydration so no spray should be used during the heat of the day.

Bt sprays:

BEETLE BEATER liquid - Works so well at preventing the beetles from defoliating the eggplants, tomatoes, & potatoes. These critters seem to like deadly nightshade weeds the best - so why can't they stay out of the garden and just eat the weeds? Fortunately, they aren't a problem every year.

WORM KILLER (Bt kurstaki) - It's very difficult to use a contact bug killer for cabbage. With this stuff, we are spreading a caterpillar disease (Yikes) but it will get rid of the the cabbage loopers.

Conventional Sprays for the ornamentals (n. something that serves as ornamentation, having no other use than cosmetic)

ORTHENE - Only early in the season before the spider mites show up.

ORTHO SYSTEMIC INSECT KILLER - Everybody knows that spider mites aren't insects - well apparently Ortho forgot. Anyway, this kills both (and persists so, please, please don't eat the daisies!!).

DACONIL FUNGICIDE - Can be used on the vegetables - somebody says - but I'm not gonna. Zinnias have real problems with mildew and black spot by late in the year, just when the plants are HUGE and they are starting to bloom their heads off. This stuff slows the fungal diseases down long enuf for us to have big, bright, beautiful zinnias.

Comments (9)