SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m3rc_nate

Ideal mix/formula for Japanese Maple? Help

m3rc_nate
10 years ago

Okay so I am new to Japanese Maples. My aunt visited from TN (I'm in Seattle) and brought with her her hobby for Japanese Maples. I learn fast and have a very successful raised garden so I picked up everything she was saying very quickly and it all made sense. She got me interested and now three weeks later i own:

-3 Acer Palmatums (3-4 year, regular green for grafting)
-Toyama-Nishiki Lace-leaf
-Shirazz
-One i dont know the type
-Six 2-year old Acer Palmatums for grafting
-Corallinum (2 year)
-Hana Matoi (2 year)
-Aratama (1 year)
-Beni shichihenge (2 year)

The six Acer-P and the four i listed last are all in the 2x2 shipping pots and need to be re-potted (I bought a bunch of 1-Gal containers). The issue is I have done a lot of research, and there are just SO MANY variations on what to put in the containers. I own this book which is great: "Japanese Maples: The Complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation, Fourth Edition" by Peter Gregory and J. D. Vertrees which recommends a certain formula, then i have read some posts on this site and articles by Nurseries saying what to use, and its all different.

Currently my plan is to use the formula my aunt does and has been successful with (feel free to correct it) :
Bottom 1 inch: Shredded Cypress or Ceder (no coloring added)
Main: 3 parts Ericaceous compost/Loam based compost
Main: 1 part Sharp Sand
Top 1/2-1 inch: Mulch (coarse bark, average chip size 3/4 inch)

Any help/tips/advice/corrections are strongly desired. I have a Home-Depot/Lowes/Local Nursery all within a few miles of our house so hopefully whatever you recommend i can get at one of those places.

I have a website/blog where i put the longer story of my introduction to JPN MPLS and pictures of all my trees. http://nathansgardens.weebly.com/japanese-maples.html

(Related question, I plan to collect the seeds from my moms Bloodgood and grow them in Cone-tainers [ http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/cone-tainers/tree-seedling-containers ] and would you recommend the same mixture as I will use in my 1-Gal containers, for the seed cells?)

(I own Osmocote Flower & Vegetable 14-14-14, and Dyna-Grow 7-9-5 for fertilizer options, I own ProMix-BX)

This post was edited by M3rc_Nate on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:53

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting