SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cluelessgardener

Seeking more tree advice

cluelessgardener
19 years ago

I previously posted about fast growing trees and have learned from many of you that I should avoid fast growing and go for something a little sturdier and slow growing. I appreciate the suggestions you made and will certainly go to a local garden center after we move into the house I am writing about. Before we move, however, I am trying to do as much research as possible so that I can act somewhat educated when I hit the garden center.

Here's my next question. The back yard of our new home faces west. This is why I originally wanted something fast growing - to protect us from the sun. Of the trees you would recommend, are there any that produce a flower in the spring, but don't drop a lot of fruit? I need shade because we spend a lot of time in the back yard. So I guess I am looking for a good shade tree that will grow somewhat fast, but not too fast, will flower in the spring, and not make too much of a mess.

While I am here, I am also looking for a decorative tree to put in front of my husband's office window at the front of the house. I like the look of weeping trees that flower, but am not set on that idea. Any suggestions for that tree?

Thanks again.

Comments (11)