SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamieclaytonphoto

bachelor seeking advice for failing meyer lemon tree

Jamie Clayton
8 years ago

Hi guys!
Im a single guy living in a house in Nashville with two buddies and I have no idea what i'm doing.

I'm a bartender so I figured I would grow a lemon tree and then have the tree next to my herbs and be set for life with cocktails.

I ordered my meyer lemon tree on amazon and first things first, i had no idea that the meyer lemon is not an actual lemon. So that shows you how much I know.

It grew into a big and beautiful plant but zero lemons so that was tough, but hey, patience is a virtue. I have a ton of patience, but I have little to almost no knowledge of citrus plants.

Sadly my baby tree has lost a lot of leaves with the colder months, or maybe watering, or maybe not enough sun. But hopefully you guys can help.

So the tree has been moved inside and the only spot in the house that somewhat works is in this room that has window light but never ever sees sun light. I recently bought a LED Grow Light 24W that has the red and blue lights.

You can see the coverage the plant gets.

Here are some close ups of my baby.

As you can see, I even bought a moisture meter! Which worked great during the summer and fall. But now it mainly stays on dry, even when I take it out and replace. And so i water it, but doing some research on here, I feel like I have overwatered it. Maybe the color of the leaves can let you experts know more.

My questions!

I wont ask will my tree die because I don't believe it will. The soil it was potted in was a mix of soil from home depot with a bag of some citrus soil I bought at a "home garden" store. wink wink. Do I need to do anything with repotting or the soil? I see people do the numbers all the time, like 1-5-2 or something like that with soil and I have zero idea what the numbers mean. I assume ratios of soils. But I would hope you guys will say nothing needs to be done with the soil.

I watered my baby a lot because I thought thats what it needed, after doing research, I see you dont need to water that much in the winter, especially if it barely has any leaves. What do you guys think caused my leaves to fall off? How much should I water it and how often?

I bought the light and my thought was to keep it on from around 10am - 10pm at night. Do you think the light is a good thing? Is it enough light or should I add another one? Does it matter if its pointed at just the tree or should I focus it on one branch with the most leaves? How long would you keep it lit for?

What do you think caused the discoloration in the leaves? I checked up close and did not see any bug, fuzz, or anything that looked odd.

Do i need to trim any brances?

What is up with the thorns? Will those turn into leaves or flowers one day?

Do you think once we heal this sweet plant back to full health it will have flowers in the spring?

Thank you guys so much - i hope this isnt too much. If you guys help, I will post updates in the comments if she starts to grow again. Oh, last question.

Will she grow leaves in the spring only and stay like this state (but not get any worse) or can we get her to grow some more once we heal her up? Id love her to grow leaves again.

I know so many questions! Thank you so much for all the help. If you feel like I should repost this elsewhere, please let me know.

Comments (73)