SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eatsivy

storage beets

eatsivy
15 years ago

Greetings from Ketchum, Idaho,

Putting together my seed orders for the coming spring. Still a lot of snow here, but I'm making plans for our vegetable garden.

Does anyone have recommendations for a source of seed for storage beets. In my readings I'm finding that people are suggesting that some beet varieties are better suited for storage than others. I would like to grow a main crop of beets, and Bulls Blood for greens too. I would also like to start some seed later in the season for a storage crop. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good variety to plant for storage?

I have been looking over the offerings in Bountiful Garden's catalog. Their "Beet Mix" looks like a neat way to get a lot of variety for a reasonable price. Don't know if that offering includes any varieties that are particularly well suited for storage.

I'm also noting that BG offers a "Mangel" type of beet called "Early White Intermediate Mangels." Says they are a very sweet, nutritious, and long-keeping type of beet. Voila! Is this the "storage" beet I'm looking for.

Remembering advice I have often heard from my Mom, "Seek and ye shall find."

Thanks in advance, Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: bountiful gardens

Comments (30)