SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbdivemaster

Ojai Plumeria winter preparations

sbdivemaster
15 years ago

Hi,

We got a nice plumeria last summer for a house warming gift. I kinda stumbled through taking care of it for the winter. It seemed to take a while to go dormant, then seemed to take a long time to get going again this spring (finally started getting leaves around May). Now it looks great, but no flowers this year. :-(

I'm trying to get info in advance for how to prep for this coming winter. We live in Ojai, CA, so we can have warm days but cold nights well into the fall and spring.

Here's what I want to know:

When should I re-pot? I re-potted this spring (at the end of dormancy), but should I do it before or during dormancy? (I will be putting it in a big pot so I don't have to re-pot for several years.)

When should I expect dormancy to begin? Should I pull it at night as they get colder, or when should I pull it in altogether?

On the other side of dormancy, when should I expect dormancy to end? Should I pull it at night until they are warm enough (this is what I did this past spring), or should I wait until the nights are consistently warm enough?

Also, wondering what's the best type of soil to put this in.

As a plumeria newb, I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington