SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Plumerias: I'm done watering mine until spring. You?

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I hope you and yours, and your gardens, are doing well!

I spent time this weekend getting my plumerias (also known as frangipani in some parts of the world) ready for winter so I thought I'd share about it, and hear about what you do to get yours ready too.

I don't do much, honestly, LOL, but at this time of year, I do do one important task: I turn OFF the automatic irrigation to my in-ground plumerias. Actually, I don't turn it OFF, I just remove their emitters (the things that regular water at the end of the spaghetti line) and use a "goof plug" to cap it. That way they don't get water from the irrigation system even if it's running.

The plumerias still look great, overall, but I want to start toughening them up for winter by encouraging dormancy or semi-dormancy with reduced watering. That helps them survive. Mine have been in the ground in this garden for six years now, and I refuse to cover them winter or summer, and they've done fine.

The plumerias in pots are now located in a spot where it's hard for me to reach them to water them, and where they won't get any over-spray if I'm slopping watering OTHER pots. That should help them take a nap for winter eventually.

I know a lot of folks grow them, or recently started growing them, so I just thought I'd mention it.

This is the time of year when I stop watering a lot of winter-dormant or winter-sensitive plants: plumerias, adeniums, pachypodiums, etc.

What about you? Are you growing plumies? Do you do anything to prepare them for winter? What about your other plants? Any preparation there?

Take care and keep the fun posts and pics coming!

Grant

Oh, ps, here's a pic of my 'Kimo' plumeria this morning. It still looks good, but it's dropping a leaf or two every few days. I've had it for five years now. Wilson the tennis ball hanging out just to show relative size.

{{gwi:425195}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my little garden November 2012

Comments (11)