SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

My First Plumeria winter in Northeast... HELP!

counselor4444
16 years ago

Ok, this is a big big deal to me. My husband and I married this past April and went to Hawaii on our honeymoon. Before leaving the Honolulu airport to return to New Jersey, we purchased a plumeria cutting. What started as a green stick that was 6-7 inches tall is now 12-15 inches with 7 big green leaves! This plant obviously has lots of sentimental value and I want it to survive at all cost. It sits in a pot on our apartment balcony.

Winter is approaching here in the northeast and I have read both on this forum and on many websites that I will need to winterize my plumeria. I've read that I shouldn't leave it outside below 40 degree weather. Tonight it is already going down to 43! (and its only 9/16!)

1. My plan for now is to bring it in at night and put it back outside during the day when it is in the 60's and 70's. What do you think? (and obv bring it in permanently when its too cold during the day too)

2. Should I fertilize it before permanently bringing it in for the winter? Should I go to Home Depot and ask for a high phosphate fertilizer? Or something else? How often should I fertilze it in preparation for being indoors in the winter? What if I don't fertilize it? Will it die? Will it not bloom in the spring?

3. I know not to water it at all once I bring it inside... but is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you very very much in advance!

Comments (3)