SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

some questions and a vent

cody_mi
14 years ago

i have a few questions that i can't seem to find answers too and it's really very frustrating.

i've put applications in at every greenhouse and garden center in my area. i've had several interviews, but have gotten turned down for everything so far. i'm a semester away from an associates in hort and a year and a half away from a bachelors in enviromental science. i'm 26 years old, i have my own hobby greenhouse. i've been hybridizing for several years, i have three acres i garden, i've done a few landscapes, sat on the board of an orchid society, completed the master gardener program and taught two of the classes when the intructor got sick. i'm familiar with most zone 4-8 plants, plus tropicals, i'm good at design, propagation, etc.

i'm just wondering if anyone has any insight as to why i keep getting passed over. is it my lack of degree? i admit i'm not the best at interviews, but that can't be the reason for all of the rejections can it? at one place i interviewed for two hours and when i called the next week i got hung up on. another place told me they don't hire males for their garden center. i find it very frustrating that i have all the knowledge and experience that i do and i get passed over for 40 year old women who just garden in their spare time.

i tried a few landscapers, but they only want physical labor and what i'm really interested in is growing and design. i've thought about opening my own greenhouse, but i don't have investors or the money for startup. i want to get a few years experience with a larger, established company before striking out on my own.

thanks for listening and for any advice

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022