SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Direct vent fireplace venting questions

athensmomof3
12 years ago

We were planning on using the Lennox Montebello direct vent fireplace in our basement family room. We chose it because it has very realistic, wood burning proportions, could be set with a flush hearth and could be vented out to the side of the house.

The fireplace is not on an outside wall so we don't have quite enough room to get it outside when you take into account the required rise needed for the vent pipe - it requires 1' rise for every 2' of run, or close to it I think. The other problem is that the vent pipe is very large (10") so with clearances it would require furring down the ceiling in the adjoining room (guest suite) to 8'6", which I would hate to do.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a fireplace with a lower "rise" requirement, or any other solution? I would prefer something realistic, with a clean face (no louvers) and which can be set flush but at this point I am considering everything!! It needs to be somewhere around 42" wide in the viewing area to make the proportions of the framing (which has steel supports holding up the Isokern directly upstairs) which can't be changed.

Comments (13)