SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilayla

identify ficus pest

aprilayla
16 years ago

I planted a large ficus benjamina in my yard that used to be in my office at work but grew too large. Since it was in the office, I noticed some leaves, mostly new ones, folding in half. I opened one and there are very small, long skinny black "bugs". You can see them move and when I've had a handful of the affected leaves, you can feel them crawl on you. They don't seem to be "contagious" because the ficus used to be on my porch with other plants and they never "caught" these bugs. Just the ficus. Other ficus that I've had on the porch have caught them also. I used to be able to control it by just removing the leaves, but now it is too huge and has too many folded leaves to pick them all. I've sprayed with SEVEN but it doesn't seem to work since the leaves are folded and the insecticide can't reach the bugs. What are they? What can I do? Strangely, other than the affected leaves, the plant seems healthy but I'm afraid since its so large they will get out of control and kill the plant. Once, when I opened a folded leaf, a small white moth flew out, but since it only happened once (I've had this tree for many years), I don't know if that was a coincidence or if these little black bugs are baby moths of some sort. Help!

Comments (2)