SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepleiades

Help identifying this web and this...fungus? on ficus leaves

Thanks to the help of this forum my ficus benjamina has been doing really well despite a late-season repot into the gritty mix. It will be getting colder here in San Antonio so I am planning to bring my ficus indoors for the winter and place it right next to a west-facing window in my third story apt that gets loads of sunlight.

But before I do so, I noticed two things which might be pests or fungus:

Is this the work of spider mites? Sorry I couldn't get any closer pics - my camera wouldn't focus properly. I don't see any little reddish bugs but maybe I'm not looking closely? I have never encountered mites before. Is this just a normal spider's work, and if so is that bad for the plant? I don't know what that reddish brown thing is underneath the web either.

A regular spider once made a web in one of this tree's leaves 1.5 months ago. After wiping the web away I saw the regular spider (couldn't see it well under the web).

Also, when I first got this tree in August, it had this on the bottom side of a few of its leaves:

I wiped all of the leaves down with alcohol to repel pests when I first got it and these things haven't come back in full force since. However, I've been seeing one or two of these thin white strings with a white dot at the bottom on some leaves' undersides again. Does anyone know what it is?

I'd appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths