SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2009: The Gardening Year In Review

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Since the year is ending, I thought I'd sort of review my gardening year that is (mercifully!) ending today.

WINTER: Drought and Fire. Here in Love County, our drought that began months earlier in the summer of 2008 continued as our volunteer fire departments fought some massive wildfires that often required all 14 depts. in our county to respond, and sometimes other counties' fire depts. too. I choose my varieties and seeds to start based on a continuation of the drought. Some very warm winter days occurred after the fruit trees already had sustained enough chilling hours to set fruit, so the fruit trees were poised to bloom too early.

SPRING: I planted onions and potatoes on time and prepared my soil for tomato-planting time. As I was hardening off tomato and pepper plants in mid-spring, on a couple of occasions very hard winds began blowing while I was away at wildfires and the winds beat some of my seedlings to death. I lost all of a few varieties, but since I start a whole lot from seed every year, the world didn't end. The fruit trees bloomed too early and we eventually lost all the young fruit to several subsequent freezes or frosts.

Small amounts of rain that fell in March began to give me hope that we'd have a little drought relief. The perennial and reseeding annual flowers sprouted, grew and bloomed, although the blooms were a little later than usual.

In early April, much of Oklahoma faced devastating wildfires that burned thousands of acres and destroyed hundreds of homes. I left our home to go to fires in the early afternoon of, I think, the 9th of April, not knowing if our home would be standing when we returned. In a way, it was "business as usual" since we'd already been out a fires almost every day in the previous week. It was worse though, as the winds were in the 40s and 50. As it turned out, most of our county's fires that day were at the northern end of the county and we were OK at the southern end. The fire in Texas we feared would jump the Red River and get our houses stayed on its side of the river which was an enormous relief. By now, I was putting tomato plants in the ground and keeping a way eye on overnight lows. I covered up plants as needed to protect them from late freezes.

We attended the plant swap in late April, followed shortly thereafter by a 12.4" rainfall in one day here in Love County, a new record rainfall for one 24-hr-period for the state of Oklahoma. At this point, all the tomato plants, corn and onions stalled and stopped growing. I stopped planting. The entire month of May was torture. As if a foot of rain were not enough, another 7 or 8" fell in May. The garden remained too wet to plant for ages and the stalled plants didn't grow. The flowes were spectacular though, especially the dozens of Malva sylvestris "Zebrina", the poppies and the larkspur. Yarrow "Summer Berries" was gorgeous as were the zinnias that did great once they started blooming, but which were at least a month later than usual.

SUMMER: In early June, I finally got everything else in the ground and then the weather turned incredibly hot. Most of the near-drowned plants survived. However, we lost a lot of onions to drowning death and the potatoes either froze or drowned 3 times. I replanted potatoes the 4th time and said that I wouldn't plant again if anything happened to them. They survived. Weeding was a nightmare and I am assuming it was because of all the moisture. I struggled to stay ahead of the weeds while Tim mowed and weedeated every time it stopped raining and both of us fretted when heavy rains made it impossible to work outside. I had an unfortunate encounter with wildlife that scared me into staying indoors a lot.

July is when the garden really began producing vegetables in large numbers. From this point on, it was a battle to stay on top of the harvest. Because of ongoing rains, the flowers were huge and bloomed profusely. We began filling up the freezers and I started doing a lot of canning, freezing and dehydrating We bought another freezer. The purplehull pinkeye peas that replaced the broccoli (after I'd harvested the broc) began bearing heavily and we began to freeze a lot of them as well as eating them almost daily. The okra went bonkers. The tomatoes were awesome.

Continued wildlife predator issues in our neighborhood kept me inside more than I would have liked.

August brought us a lot of heat and little rain and I had to continue watering the veggies and flowers all month, having started watering them in late July when the rain stopped seemingly overnight. The harvest continued and I was canning, dehydrating and freezing food almost every day. At this point, we're eating 4 or 5 types of veggies daily from our own garden. It was heavenly. The first seed catalog arrived either in July or August from HPS and I immediately ordered Pink Brandymaster hoping it will be a good hybrid with Brandywine flavor.

AUTUMN: September stayed hot here in our county but a little rain finally began to fall. By now, I was cutting back a lot of flowering annuals that were a bit past their prime and looking tired. They rewarded us with abundant blooms. Most of the spring-planted veggies kept on producing and the fall veggies grew large enough to start producing. For once, we finally began to more or less catch up on the mowing and weedeating, but at the same time small weeds were starting to sprout in the garden pathways and I didn't do a very good of pulling those up.

I think it was in September that I found myself in "Pepper Heaven" (or H---) with 1600 peppers filling buckets and bowls and every square inch of counter space in the kitchen. Tim picked a great week to be out of town as I spent every day from sunrise until after sunset making pickled peppers, pepper jellies (over 60 jars of hot jellies alone), pepper rings, 5 or 6 different kinds of salsa, mixed pickled hot peppers, chipotles for the freezer, frozen chopped hot peppers for cooking, frozen whole jalapenos for later use in poppers, dried peppers crushed into pepper flakes and more dried pepeprs crused into powder. By the end of September I never wanted to see another pepper again, and yet they still kept coming.

October was a good month here. Some recurring coldish nights meant that the veggies had to be covered up occasionally to keep them from freezing. Some flowers, like zinnias, began showing mild freeze damage on flower petals and a few leaves. Other flowers, like Laura Bush pink and purple petunias and Texas Hummingbird Sage began blooming in veggie beds and garden paths, having reseeded themselves there from the plants still growing and blooming in the cottage border. The tree foliage began changing color and the leaves started falling. The harvest of cucumbers, sweet and hot peppers, winter squash, green beans, okra and tomatoes continued all month and I stayed busy putting up food for winter.

November was fairly dry here but we had a little rain. The harvest continued until the first frost arrived about mid-month. A few flowers held on through several frosts but they were mostly gone by the end of November, with the exception of Laura Bush petunias and some hot pink dianthus. I stayed busy with holiday preparatons and ordering seeds for next year. I did some garden clean-up but not as much as I'd hoped. The holidays always keep me busy.

December was a surprisingly cold month for Love County. We had nights, even very early in the month, in the teens and a string of days with high temps in the lower 40s that we thought never would end. I moved about 18 containers of plants into the garage: Cajun hibiscus, Angel's Trumpets, ornamental peppers and a few hot and sweet edible pepper plants. Two inches of snowfall surprised us early in December, followed later in the month by a Christmas Eve snowall of 7" that gave us our first White Christmas here in Marietta. More snow would fall a few days later. I continued ordering seeds and waited for the mud to dry up so I could work in the yard and garden. I'm still waiting and it is still raining and snowing. All the seeds I've ordered have arrived, except for a few back-ordered ones and I received a whole lot of seeds in the forum seed swap. We gave away about 180 jars of jellies, salsas, pickles and pickled peppers to friends as holiday gifts. I've planned my garden on paper and soon will start growing from seed indoors.

As the year ends, I have to say it has been a remarkable one both in terms of rainfall (about 53" here in Marietta compared to our annual average of 36") and the productivity of the garden. Although the mid-spring rains were hard on the cool season crops, we still harvested some onions and potatoes (less than usual, though) and lots of broccoli (usually it gets too early too soon here for us to get a big harvest). The summer and fall crops were very productive. The freezers and cellar were full of food we raised and preserved ourselves, and the lawn, pastures, trees, shrubs and flower beds benefitted greatly from the heavy rainfall. For a year that began with such dire drought and severe wildfires, it all turned out well in the end. The long sloping driveway that borders the southern edge of my garden has gradually washed away bit by bit in this year's heavier-than-usual rains. As soon as the river of mud formerly known as our driveway dries up, Elvis will come and replace the driveway base and gravel that has disappeared this year.

I made many new gardening friends (and kept the old ones too!) here at this forum and met some of them at the swap. It was, all in all, a winner of a year. I'm looking forward to 2010 when I'll be planting more veggies than ever before, and hopefully still will find time to have lots of flowers too.

That's a review of my gardening year in 2009. OK, y'all, it is your turn to tell us about yours.

Dawn

Comments (16)

• melissia
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great Dawn!

This was my 2nd year to garden in OK -- it did really well. I learned that my watermelons didn't do very well on a trellis, so I guess I will go back to just growing on the ground - all of them but 2 split before they were ripe.

My peppers did REALLY good, both the jalapeno and bell peppers all the way up to the first frost.

Everything we planted grew and produced so all in all it was a great garden year.

I also canned more than I ever have this past year - and people loved the canning gifts I gave so much. . . that was a blessing to be able to give gifts that we grew and canned ourselves - I just loved it.

I too, am planting more than last year.

Wishing every one here a blessed and prosperous new year.
    Melissia

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

Winter... good time to dig out bermuda grass roots, as long as the ground isn't frozen

Spring... continued the above, and hauled all kinds of plants from my "house for sale" (yard there) to my house I live in (yard here), and plant them. Even a couple of trees. :)
    Then the best thing of the year... a grand daughter for Mothers Day. What a joy.

Summer... escape for a bicycle trip, after setting up the soaker hoses. But alas, didn't get them turned on far enough and several things suffered while I was gone

Fall, "house for sale" finally sold, and I could quite transplanting stuff, as well as taking care of two yards

Winter... came in with a bang, and brought that dratted white word. I still have plenty, and my yard is well watered. LOL

I am ready for spring. As always, I am ready way to early... but heck, I am ready. :)

I have plans, and more bermuda grass will be eliminated. Hopefully some more veggies make it in to my yard this year.

Moni

• Related Discussions

Photos and Review: 2009 Parkside Orchids Fest

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Bob, Hmmm... I don't remember seeing you... but I was pretty busy looking at the orchids! hahaha. I really enjoyed the Fest. I started growing orchids a year and a half ago and have gone this season to all the shows I could find in the area. I think this was my favorite so far simply because it seemed like both Parkside Orchids and the vendors in the tent were selling orchids at much more reasonable prices. My husband and I also enjoyed the Longwood Gardens show earlier this year. I'm sure we'll run into each other at some show in the future! I don't know of any other shows in the NY/NJ/PA area until next year. Do you know of any others? Thanks! Deb
    ...See More

Want to Participate in a 2013 GWF Garden Tour; a "Year in Review"

Q

Comments (12)
    How about the evolution of one area 2010-2013? It's taken time to try to get the effect I wanted, especially because I didn't know what effect I wanted in the first place. 2010: Got rid of that lawn and the Cercis trees in 2012. 'Laguna' climber has grown to obscure a good bit of the neighbor's roof. Yay! Added a tutuer as a focal point for the axial view, but the dull green color doesn't attract the eye. Moved all the 'Jubilee Celebration's there to form a hedge. Temporary row of bell peppers in front of the roses proved quite ornamental. Dahlias and shasta daisies and 'Rozanne' this June almost stole the show from the roses... November 2013...the dahlias and daisies are done for the year, but 'Rozanne' and the roses go on and on. The eye is supposed to be drawn from the 'Rozanne's back and forth along the path up to the 'Perle d'Azur' clematis on the right side fence and then to the tuteur, which doesn't look like it in the photo but painted now the same color (in person) as the 'Rozanne' flowers. That's the theory, anyway. Now if the exact right shrubs can be found to render the rest of the neighbor's roof invisible, I will finally be satisfied. (Temporarily.) As a garden evolves, so does the gardener--or is it the other way around? And to recall 1999 again, the same area but looking in the other direction.
    ...See More

2009 ARS Roses in Review Survey

Q

Comments (12)
    Karl is right, as usual. We opened the survey up to anyone some time back. There are plenty of non-ARS members who grow roses and can do a good job of evaluating them, so why not get the advantage of their experience? By the way, we also have posted the results for the last several years on the ARS website so anyone can see them. It seems only fair that if we are going to ask non-members to report, they should be able to see the results. When you are using the online survey and you accidently hit the wrong name, you can just go back to the list and pick the right one. The system will remind you that you didn't file a report for the last one, but it will let you move on without it. Decobug, if the list of your reviews show Alan Titchmarsh, but without any ratings for it, we will drop it. If it does show a rating that you don't want, give me your name or email address and we'll delete it.
    ...See More

Garden Ideas - Better Homes & Gardens Spring 2009

Q

Comments (3)
    Annie thanks for the heads up, I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore but a magazine chockablock full of good ideas and info will hit the spot right about now. The few things I have blooming right now are pretty sad looking from getting repeated dumps of snow on them, I do have a pretty yellow Hellebore and a lonely little leucojum vernum, snowdrops and crocus blooming in my winter ravished garden though. Come on decent weather I need to get cracking. Annette
    ...See More
  • tigerdawn
    14 years ago

In the winter and early spring I started a few vegetable seeds in my greenhouse. Many of them got burned because I didn't have a good fan. I planted asparagus and strawberries in the garden. Everything was looking good and I went to Canada for a week at the beginning of July. When I got back the garden had grown 4 feet tall with bermuda grass and the vegetables were choked out. But then I found GardenWeb! I managed to get a few pattypan squash out of the garden and some okra. My thyroid went haywire and made me really tired for most of the summer and fall.

This fall I spent a lot of time here learning everything I could about how to be successful in my garden. Also, DH and I put some weed mat under (yes under) the gravel in the greenhouse so the bermuda grass would die. I hate bermuda. We finally found a good balance of fans and shade and heater so the greenhouse will stay in a good temperature range and I can actually use it!

I am very ready for spring to come. Well, I guess I'm just ready for seed planting time to come so I can remember that spring will be here soon.

I'm hoping for a combination of good health and good weather in 2010 so I can have a more successful garden.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

What a year 2009 was in the garden!

Spring:

Spring was welcomed with Mama Monarch laying about 100+ eggs on my newly emerging Asclepias incarnata milkweed. This was my 2nd year for my perennial milkweed to come up and my 1st year for spring Monarchs. I was so worried that they would have enough food, but by the time the eggs hatched, the plants had grown another foot tall and wide so the food lasted. Boy, did I have some bare plants when they were done, though. The neighbors came over to see these colorful caterpillar food machines at work and were amazed.

Then came the Black Swallowtails. They ate the fennel (bulb and bronze), the Zizia aptera, and the Rue and were present from spring until the 1st of November (due to our extended fall weather).

Late Spring to Summer:

My lemon tree, in its 3rd year in the ground, grew to about 4' tall and started branching out. For a slow grower, this plant has grown about 1' each year. Feeding it chicken manure has worked.

I had a little garden friend from spring thru fall - a Nessus sphinx. This little guy was present almost daily in the garden (they are daytime moths) and so cute! They are a rich reddish brown with two cream stripes on the top of the abdomen. He was very welcome!

I had a very diverse group of butterflies this year that I raised:

Red Admirals
    Hackberry Emperors
    Tawny Emperors
    Sleepy Oranges
    Cloudless Sulphurs
    Buckeyes
    Gulf Fritillaries
    Monarchs
    Black Swallowtails
    Wild Indigo Duskywings

....and sphinx moths:

Manduca sexta (Tobacco sphinx)
    Walnut Sphinx
    Snowberry Clearwing Sphinx
    Virginia Creeper sphinx
    Pandora Sphinx
    Eumorpha sphinx

Some of the sphinx are overwintering as cocoons to be released when they emerge next spring, and the Wild Indigo Duskywings are overwintering in hibernaculums as caterpillars and will resume feeding in spring when the Wild Indigo (Baptisia australis minor) is back up.

So, all in all, it was an excellent butterfly/moth year!

Susan

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

My year in review?

Winter... Met George on the Heirloom forum and he directed me to here. (Thank you George!) Miss Dawn sent me TONS of seeds, which I got hyper about and started 59 tomato plants WAY too early. (LAM, laughing at myself... LOL!) This year I'm using April 20th as my start time, weather depending. That's my grandmother's birthday, seems right to me. The ice storms of February scared the crap out of us... but we survived... LOL!

Spring... My mind was so branched out trying to figure out what all I could grow in my small space! We fought the wet ground, trying to get things tilled up and ready to plant. Some success, some failure, all learning. Also had to spend alot of time dragging limbs that were downed during the ice storm.

Summer... I learned that tomato plants do MUCH better in my front yard than my side yard due to partial shade. The side yard garden had tons of peppers come on tho, and the vining okra and regular okra did well over there too. Found out that my neighbor and a girl from a business beside my house garden also, so I was able to talk with and trade produce with them. I had a hard time with my zuke plants, had two zukes then they died. Learned my enemies were snails and pill bugs.

Fall... The tomato plants I planted in the front grew so healthy compared to the side garden ones! Beautiful plants, my husband marveled over them. Plus, I had planted a few butternut squash seeds just to see how they'd grow. They grew well! I planted them fairly late, but got 5 small squashes from them. They were yummy too! Kept getting peppers, peppers, and MORE peppers... till I just had enough of 'em. LOL! Also got to work getting rid of the prickly pear cactus in the flower bed in front of the house. HATE those things... what ever possesed my husband to put those there? :)

Winter... We've been lucky so far! Slightly wetter and colder, but no snow yet. A daycare that was beside my house moved, and left all this lovely, thick rubber matting on what used to be the playground area. I asked and the owner gave it all to me! I'm going to cut it to size and use it on the edges of my plots to help supress weeds. Rather proud of having it!

All in all, last season was fun and a success. This year I'm going to take better notes and employ the digital camera a whole lot more. AND I'm going to take it slower and enjoy the process a whole lot more. This is my kind of fun! :)

Beth

• elkwc
    14 years ago

2009 for the first seven months was a continuation of 2008 weather wise. A severe drought. Starting the last of July we started getting rain. And it continued till early November. Now drying out again.

I was late on some of my gardening activities all season it seemed. But overall most everything did real well execpt the tomatoes. But was blessed with a good late harvest. The drought and related stress lead to disease issues again. Garlic and onions did great in 09. Had the biggest bell peoppers I've ever grown.

Increased my growing area this year and added more containers also. Made one cold frame and one hot frame. Started construction of a greenhouse. Ran soil tests and have garden ready for spring planting. Garlic and shallots are in the ground.

Was blessed to of found this forum and the wonderful caring folks on it. Including Dawn the enabler. LOL. Overall gardening in 09 was good and rewarding.
    Wishing everyone a great 2010 gardening year. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay and Beth,

If you come back to this page and see this, start watching your mail. Melissa got her little envelope of goodies yesterday, and both of you and one other person here have packages in the mail.

One of my favorite parts of 2010 was meeting Jay and Beth. In Jay, I found a fellow tomato-growing addict (Who enables who here?) and in Beth, I found a younger sister who's just beginning to enjoy gardening, something I've yet to see happen with my own sister (who is, LOL, dating a landscaper).

Sometimes I ask myself what we'd do without one another. Who else but the folks here at this forum understand all the joys and frustrations of trying to grow things here in this part of the country with all its erratic weather? All my "old" gardening relatives....grandparents, father, aunts, uncles, great-aunts, great-uncles, etc. are mostly gone now and none of my cousins or siblings are into gardening to the extent that I am. So, the gardening family I have here gives me someone to talk with about my favorite pastime, and I feel lucky to have each and every one of you as a part of my life.

Dawn

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

AWWW! I feel like I just got a hug over the internet... LOL! Thank you Dawn! I feel lucky to have you guys to talk to also. My garden is better and bigger, my bread is edible (lol), and ya'll always make me smile! :)))

The seeds didn't come yet, I was hovering over the mailbox when he came today, LOL! I'm betting they'll be here by monday tho.

OH, I also wanted to ask you something, Dawn. Remember that Passionflower that sprung up in my yard? Well, I found one of the seed pods still hanging on the vine. Do you think I can harvest seeds from it? If so, I'll be sending you some, if you'd like 'em! :)

Beth

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beth,

I've never collected Passionflower seed but I imagine you could harvest seed from the fruit. If you want to collect some and send it my way, feel free to do so.

Some of the folks here have raised it from seed, so I know it is possible to do so.

Dawn

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Dawn it is like gatting a late Christmas present. Nothing arrived today but you can rest assured I'll be watching the mail Monday..

Some more garlic came in. Was cool today. Will have to figure out a place to put a few cloves and then maybe eat the rest. Every where you turn there is an enabler. LOL. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay,

I guess the mail is slow because of the holiday or the weather or both. Just keep watching for it. It is in a box and Tim mailed it at the post office. I almost used UPS but wasn't sure if your UPS service is currently in a "good" or "bad" mode, although I remember we discussed UPS service recently.

A little suspense is good for the soul, anyway, and you'll have fun guessing about what it might be until it arrives....and then you'll know what it is. LOL

More garlic? I love how everyone who gardens is an enabler for everyone else who gardens.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Beth, you probably have Passiflora incarnata which is a native vine in Oklahoma (as well as many other states). There is probably some info on the Internet about sowing the seeds, but I would winter sow it - does need some stratification in order to germinate, but some say that a GA3 treatment is necessary. You can buy it at gardening centers. Some say it is difficult to grow from seed because it contains a natural growth inhibitor, and others say it is easy. When someone tells me it is difficult, then I gotta take up the challenge. I just ordered seeds so we can compare notes on our progess! I also ordered P. ceurulea, common name of Blue Crown passion flower, and will try them, too.

Years ago, I bought a vine labeled "Purple Flowering Passion Vine" at Warren's (now defunct) in Midwest City. I later ID'd it 'Lavendar Lady'. It is gorgeous. Comes up late spring, but grows very fast, and produces beautiful, fragrant, purple flowers until frost. It bloomed this year until late November. Anyway, one of the parents is P. incarnata. Cuttings are extremely difficult to root, so propagation from seed is virtually the only way to reproduce this vine unless you buy one off the internet, or from a local nursery (good luck!).

Prepare to be inundated by Gulf Fritillary butterflies when growing this vine, because it is their host plant. They will eat it to pieces, but they will not kill it. The ultimate reward is beautiful long winged orange butterflies with silver spots on the underwings that glisten in the sunlight. They will stay in your garden daily. Variegated Fritillaries also use this vine as a host, but are not nearly as prolific as the Gulf Frit.

Try soaking your seeds a couple of days before planting them. I have also heard that this helps.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Passion Flower From Seed

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Dawn,
    Guess the mail man must of had a huge load due to the holidays. She was almost 3 hours late. The package arrived. Thanks so much. Now will have to get serious about my reading. Thanks so much. Just saw a huge change in our temp predictions for Thursday. Was 40 yesterday and 17 this morning. No tell what it will be by Wed. So much for glabal warming. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay,

You're welcome!

Oh, I am glad it came. I was terrified it would get lost in the mail, and you know I wouldn't care if most books get lost in the mail, but if that specific one got lost it would have been so sad.

Tim always says the same thing about global warming.

I've noticed we're in for a big chill by midweek. About the only positive thing about a cold, wet winter is that it seems to reduce the number of grasshoppers that hatch out in late winter here. I can't tell it affects the population of other pests but it does seem to negatively impact the hoppers.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Oh, geez, Dawn, I hope you're right about the grasshoppers! Last year, as you had predicted for me the year before, I had the worst grasshopper population imaginable. I even had grasshoppers eating my chrysalises off the porch where I tape them so they will safely emerge. So much for safety! There is absolutely no way I am going to touch the icky, tobacco spewing things to try to kill them - not that I'm that quick anymore either! Ewwwwwwww. Funny that I don't mind squishing milkweed bugs, beetles, and aphids, but can't stand the GHs'.

This morning's news says we are going to go down in the teens, with nighttime lows around 8 degrees. Yikes! This year may be a true test for some of my borderline hardies like the Lantana, Salvia 'Black & Blue' (altho don't really care if it goes), calla lilies, jasmine x stephanense vine, the ruellias that just got planted last year, my baby Lemon Tree (supposed to be hardy to 0 degrees, we'll see).

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan,

The grasshoppers eat the chrysalises? I did not know that.

We had a lot of grasshoppers here last year too, but I think maybe not as many early in the summer as in 2008 though lots and lots in late summer.

All I know is that in the dry winter, the hoppers start hatching here in January and it seems like their population grows exponentially until the fall freeze gets them. In the wet winters, I might not see much of a hatch until March or, in a really "good" year not until April. I am not sure if the cold, wet soil ensures that fewer hatch or if they just hatch later and don't have as many months to reproduce, but either way it seems we have less trouble with them after a wet winter.

Y'all are going to be so cold there, Susan! Now I am afraid to go look at our forecast for fear it may be looking worse than it was when I looked at it on Friday. I've been worried about some of my marginally hardy plants too, but since we cannot control the weather, we'll just have to hope for the best.

I think NE OK is likely getting snow this morning. All we have is clouds and no precip yet, but man oh man, it is so much colder than it was at this time yesterday morning.

Dawn

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting