SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Record high and low temps...an eye opener!

bihai
17 years ago

I thought it would be interesting to look up the record high and low temps for all the places I have ever lived and gardened in, to see how they would compare. There were a few surprising nuggets. I am posting my results here. These are RECORD highs and lows, NOT AVERAGES. The average temps for places are, of course, much higher/lower than records, but it just goes to show that there is always a chance that you can get that once in a winter weather event that could decimate a collection of unprotected plants. My source for this was weather.com, and I didnt go deep enough to get the years...but I know from locals here in Gainesville that the all time record low of 10 was set before we moved here. I have never lived in Miami, but included Miami because I have a lot of friends who live there who are very fond of telling me that it NEVER freezes in Miami. Please post you own stats for where you have lived so that we can all compare!

CITY Record LOW Record HIGH

Abilene TX -7 Dec, Feb 110 July

Austin TX -2 Feb 112 Sept

Corpus Christi TX +11 Feb 109 Sept

Dallas TX -2 Jan 115 Aug

Galveston TX +14 Dec 104 Feb

Houston TX +9 Dec 106 Aug

Rockport TX +12 Dec 100 May, July

Culver City CA +24 Jan(I was there)111 Sept

Gainesville FL +10 Jan 103 June

Miami FL +32 Jan, Mar, Dec 98 May, Jul, Aug

Its interesting to note that while Culver City had the warmest temps on average, it was the least "tropical" place I have lived. I couldn't bloom a lot of stuff that required more "constant" heat. The "most" tropical was South Texas.

Comments (8)