SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Oh no - is sink too low and is wall faucet too high? (!)

theresse
13 years ago

How could I research my brains out and then forget that the sink being undermount means it will sit even lower??! How does one forget such a thing! My husband and I both have tall torsos, darn it.

So here's my dilemma:

After my contractor put in the lower cabinet boxes today (the uppers were the only original cabs and are staying that way) - and he put the Shaws 30" wide farm sink on its cabinet, my first thought was that the bottom of the sink felt much lower than the bottom of our other sink which was just as deep. I wondered if it was just my imagination cause the new sink is a single-bowl so doesn't have the high center divider (or isn't a sink stacked high w/ dishes - haha). But then my husband came home and said "why does the new sink sit so low? That's going to break our backs." GREAT.

I was just thinking that maybe after the counter is put on, it will make the sink feel higher (?) but then I realized the wall-mounted faucet's levers (which are located at the lowest part of the faucet) seem too high on the wall now. It's a very tall faucet which I knew (15.5" tall), but...even after the counter's in, will the faucet seem or be too high on the wall? Brutal honesty preferred! ;)

Lastly, is it too late to raise the cabinets' heights (and consequently the sink's height), WITHOUT risking making the countertop itself looking too fat where it wraps around the edge? Does that makes sense? I wanted a standard thickness countertop if not slightly thinner looking stainless countertop (to have a period, almost zinc look) so if more plywood is added to raise the height of the cabs, I'm imagining that the front of the countertop (what you see when looking at the edge of it) will have to wrap around more so will look higher/thicker which would look too modern for my kitchen. Is the only solution to just add a strip of wood in front of it (like part of the face of the inset cabinets?) in order to hide the thickness so the stainless counter won't look so thick? Could something like that be done?

Please see the pics below in my Flickr acct. Thank you SO much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are a few pics (more in same album) of sink/faucet...

Comments (21)