SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Any Bird Watchers Here?

susanlynne48
14 years ago

I know there are pppppplllleeeennnnttttyyyyy of vegetable gardeners here, but am really missing discusssion on other gardening issues, so thought I would bring up one, which is becoming dear to my heart in winter especially....birds and feeding them.

I recently purchased a new wire cylinder feeder and filled it with a feed consisting of millet, thistle, sunflower seeds (black oil and others, smaller). After the first day of hanging, I have attracted either the House Finch or Purple Finch, still observing to ID, and another small, chunky bird witha white eyebrow. At first I thought it was the female House or Purple, but images reflect much more striping on the abdomen than these birds exhibited. Tummies were white and devoid of any markings, so don't know if this is the winter plumage of the female or entirely different bird. What leads me further to believe it is the female of the genus/species is that there were two males at the feeder and two of these other without the red or purple markings.

I am really enjoying this new hobby and hope to acquire some binoculars in the near future. Are any of you out there seasoned or new bird watchers?

Susan

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm