SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildturkey450

deer bait for electric fences

wildturkey450
15 years ago

I have 5 foot high tensile electric fence around my 3 acres of property (all 7 wires are electrified). Iin spite of such an expensive installation, the deer are still coming through the fence. I've tried attaching strips of aluminun foil to the fence, baiting it with peanut butter hoping the deer would lick the foil, get shocked and fear the fence. However, the next day after baiting the foil, a lot of the strips are without peanut butter. I don't believe I have a high infestation of deer so I'm blaming the depletion of the peanut butter on possibly squirrels, chipmunks, birds or other 4 footed animals climbing the fence and once their feet are off the ground, they don't get shocked and are enjoying this peanut butter treat. I'm looking for some way to still continue the peanut butter trick but to find some better way to make it less accessible to other creatures. I read somewhere to place a stip of foil over the fence wire, bait it and staple the flaps together with staples. However, if using this method, I can't see how I would be able to rebait the strips. Anyone with ideas how to accomplish this or has a better method for baiting the fence with peanut butter? Also the peanut butter dries out over a short time and appears moldy but I'm not ready to give up on the peanut butter bait as it is a cheap application and readily available. I figure once I get the deer outside my fence to lick the peanut butter that should sensitize them for maybe a month when I would rebait the fence again.

Comments (6)