SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Seeds Pod for Madi Gras has opened

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

The seed pod for the madi gras opened last week. I also have a seed pod for Kaneohe Sunset, I am still waiting for it to open. The plan is once they are all opened. I will mail seeds to anyone who wants them, just need to mail me a stamp, and let me know how many seeds you want. These seeds cannot be any fresher. Barbra

Comments (58)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Barbra,

How do you catch the seeds? I also have two seed pods from my Star of Siam plant. One is larger and starting to look dried up. So I'm scared I don't recognize when I am supposed to catch these things and not have them blown away!

I too don't have much patience so I will be giving them away as well. For those who don't remember what my Star of Siam looked like here are some photos.

{{gwi:1176456}}

{{gwi:1176457}}

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

If there are any left, Id love to request 2 of each but I'd like to give you some in exchange for your thoughtful and kind offer....I only know one of these seeds' parents, of course, so we'll be in for surprises, no doubt....
    Here's what's available :

Vera Cruz Rose
    Vera Cruz Lutica
    Gigantea
    Miami Rose
    Mary Helen Eggenberger #301
    Pink Pansy
    St.Germain

These are from Plumeria2U, (possibly through FC, -not sure) and also BBB ; I didn't grow any of them, myself.

• Related Discussions

Seed pod just opened - now a question

Q

Comments (2)
    Plant now and have a high number germinate. Plant next spring and usually fewer will germinate. downhill from there. Do not store in plastic bag. a paper bag is fine or a cloth bag that breathes. Bill
    ...See More

GASP!! My brand new Seed Pod has fallen off! can I save it??

Q

Comments (4)
    Sorry to say but at such a young age, that seedpod should really be a goner. If it was almost to full size (like 8 months along) I would say you could save it. As far as that caterpillar...it is a Saddleback Caterpillar. be careful..this one hurts http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/america/popups/picture115.htm it has poisonous spines on four large projections and many smaller ones that stick out from the sides of its body. The "saddle" consists of an oval purplish-brown spot in the middle of a green patch on the back. Saddleback caterpillars feed on the leaves of basswood, chestnut, cherry, plum, oak, and other trees and shrubs Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Seed pod opened!

Q

Comments (4)
    Good luck! I hope you get lots of seedlings!
    ...See More

Adenium obesum seed pod finally opened!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Pagan, Thank you for your kind message. I did collect some of the seeds but there weren't that many. I'm guesstimating maybe 10 - 15. From what I read online, it seems like there should be significantly more in a seed pod so I guess most just dispersed naturally. I am hoping I'll be able to collect more seeds as the remaining pods release! duc nguyen.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    My experience is the seeds aren't so flighty but you could put an old sock or nylon over the pod as soon as it starts to wrinkle.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Barbara I would love to have some seeds if you have any left please let me know where to send the sase I can send you a couple of seeds from Loi Kratory and chompoo silva do not know what they look like I just got those sprouting in water.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Barbara I would love to have some seeds if you have any left please let me know where to send the sase I can send you a couple of seeds from Loi Kratory and chompoo silva do not know what they look like I just got those sprouting in water.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Barbara if you have any seeds left I would like some I can send you a couple of seeds for chompoo silva and for Loi kratory just let me know where to send the sase Thanks Marcie

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

I think GW must be having issues, again. I didn't receive an email from HunnyBunny2, at all, but I received 8 emails from Marcie New, -four of them empty (????)
    -Cyra (de same Cyra)

• becks3082
    10 years ago

Barbra,

I would also love a few seeds if available. If you send me an email with your address I will get a stamped pre-addressed envelope in the mail to you!

Thanks!

Rebecca

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I brought home the open seed pol for the Madi Gras, and counted the seeds, and there are about 70 seeds, so I know there will be enough. I went to check on the pod for Kaneohe Sunburst, its a much smaller seed pod, I don't think it will be much longer, the pod looks like it starting to open. We had 4 hours of rain yesterday morning, then after we got there we had an additional 1 3/4 inches of rain. I don't know if that will have any effect, we are going down on Wednesday, I will check again. Barbra

• astrl
    10 years ago

I have two seed pods this year, and I am hoping to have better luck than last year. I had one seed pod and none of the seeds germinated. That same plant has one of the two pods this year, so it will be interesting to see if they are different.

I hope Barbara's do better than mine!

astrl

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last year I only had one seed pod, and that was to Gladys O'Neal, I gave the pod with seeds to jen and she mailed them to everyone. I think everyone had success with them. I collect the seeds as soon as the pod opens. I think you have to water root them using one of those styrofoam peanuts that you get in the mail. I am so old to start plants from seeds, so I will just keep sending them you young folks.. Next year I believe I will really have a lot of seed pods. Last year Kaneohe Sunset and Madri gras, were such good bloomers, and this year, everything is doing just great, but I am using Foliage Pro, and Pro-Teck. I think this will really make a difference resulting in more pods next year. Keep your fingers crossed. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hey, everybody, I got a lot of seeds from Kms2 to give out, too. I think he said they were Spider. Shoot me an email if you want some.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a large twisting white-petaled flower.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

For the record "Spider" is my name for the plant. Its so much better than calling it NOID. Its a nice growing plant which blooms well and this year it had 8 double seed pods. There is still one more set to open. I also have a bunch of Saraih's Curly pink and Pinwheel white. Maybe Celadine too (Peg has first dibs).

Here is a current pic of spider

• pcput
    10 years ago

Thanks for remembering K! I won't hold my breath though :)
    Everyone should grow a few seedlings.
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi!!

I will also have seeds to give out soon...

Pods from Psycho.
    Wizard
    Leela
    Possible VV. I call it that because it might be Vera Verde.

You guys can have as many as you want too!

I'll let you know when they open.. It's great to see so many pods!,,

I think mine were crossed with Desert Sunrise and or California Sunset.. Both were close to my Leela and Psycho, but who knows?

Lynn. I tie my pods with twine to keep them from opening when I'm gone or I will place a knee hi over them and secure.

Take care,

Laura

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

How long does it take a pod to open? I've got one that looks like its not doing anything... Since forming last fall... Since I have 40 little seedlings I'll give these away too... They are a noid yellow but I don't know if anyone wants them...

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Beautiful pod, Disney! What are the pretty purple flowers in the background? Gotta run to work now, (am at our local library's computer since my son fried ours) but will check in after work on the Kindle...
    That pod reminds me of oriental eggplants, in some wierd way...:)
    Cyra

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I check the pod obsessively, looking for any sign of wrinkling or splitting... But nothing. This photo is about a month ago, the plant is leafing out now.
    The "Purple Painted Trumpet Vine" is pretty, it's a hardy climber that comes over the fence from our neighbor and blooms most of the spring/summer. It has no scent if you're wondering.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Disney,

Mine have been on the tree since the fall... I have been waiting patiently for them to open, but they are taking their sweet time. I have heard 8 months, but I think it could be close to 9... I think it depends on when they form and how long the tree is actively growing..

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer your question!!

Mine look like yours too! My Leela pods were green at first then they turned dark. The others started out like an eggplant too!

Crya.. You are right, they do resemble oriental eggplants. I thought the same long ago. They are different looking, but they will split open in a flash!!!

I lost all of my seeds last year in one day... ( From one pod) They were gone.. Same with the DR seeds.. Poof, see ya!!!

That is why I tie them closed, when I see them crack open, I will untie and let them continue under my watchful eye!!! Lol

Take care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to leave for the coast Wednesday and come back Saturday. I am hoping the other seed pod will open this week, its half the size of the Madri Gras pod. So far I have gotten Mark and Kristophers information. Anyone in San Antonio or Austin want Styrofoam peanuts, I have a box full of them, that I need to get rid of. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

K, that Spider makes a great-looking inflo. You're right about how the white flowers look against the green foliage.

Still have a lot of these seeds to give out. Just send me a message with your address and I'll get them out next week.

Jen

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I would say 8 to 10 months is typical for seed pod generation.

if you think about it taking a full season to get a bloom which may produce a seedpod. then 8 months to get seeds. Then 3 to 5 years (unless you are Emily) to get blooms. Then 3 more years of blooms to see if it holds true. Then you can register the plant as a new variety. I guess that's why there are so many unregistered plants out there.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The seedlings I purchased 2 years ago, are sending out blooms this year. I can't wait to see what the blooms will look like. I have all my seedling in one flowerbed, I call it the nursery, so I do not get them mixed up with my named plants. They have really grown this year already, sending out 3 and 4 tips. I am especially interested in 2 tai plumeria seedlings that I purchased from Frank at the Corpus PSA sale last year, I have never seen anything grow that fast. His wife spends a fortune buying only Tai plumeria. She told me that is her joy in life. Maybe it might be mine too.!!! Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got the mail, I received envelopes from Mike F, and Jake today. I will be leaving today for the coast, and till not be back until late Saturday. I am planning on mailing the seeds out on Monday. Barbra

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thanks Barbra. When ever you get a chance. No hurry here.

Thanks again
    Mike

• Linda_Brookes
    10 years ago

I'm new to Plumeria. My neighbor gave me a rooted cutting which I think I've murdered because the stem feels a little bit soft, although it has sprouted 3 leaves so maybe all is not lost yet. I'd love to have a go at growing some from seed if there are still any available, and will happily send a SAE for anyone willing to entrust me with a couple :)

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks Barbra!

Be sure to post pics when those tai plumeria seedlings of yours bloom!

Mark

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Linda, if you send me an email with your address, I'll send you some next week.

Jen

• Linda_Brookes
    10 years ago

Thank you Jen, have emailed you.

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Barbra,

Thanks for the update on the envelopes. No hurry on my side, either. And thanks again.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received the last of the envelopes today, I am going down on Wednesday and hope that seed pod opened, it rained last week and it slowed it down. Does anyone know if I can just pull it and hurry it along. It has been on that tree for at least 8 months. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I've sent out three of four requests today--y'all are getting a boatload of seeds so feel free to share with friends! They're very fresh so germination rates should be high.

Marcie, just waiting on an address from you.

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Hi jandey,

I just wanted to let you know that I received the seeds and to say thank you! You are right. There are TONS of seeds in there. So, I am giving some of them to some friends as well. Can't wait to get them in the ground!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hey Jen, I also got the seed today! I hope I can get them planted tomorrow on my day off!

Thank you so so so much! I hope one day I can share my seeds.

Mark

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Thanks go to Kms2, who is always so generous with both seeds and cuttings.

Linda, you should have yours any day now. Hope you all have success with them!

Marcie, still waiting on your address.

• Linda_Brookes
    10 years ago

Hi Jen, my seeds have arrived. Thank you so much for your generosity. Hopefully one day I'll be able to return the favor.

Happy Gardening
    Linda

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got back from the coast I decided that I would stay down another week. Forgot that I had the envelopes in San Antonio, Seeds are going out tomorrow. I decided that I would fertilized all my plants, and make a batch of plumeria soil. I need to catch up on all the threads over the past 10 days, but I'm too tired right now, I wanted to get this message out as soon as I got home. Barbra

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update Barbra!!

Mark

• mimalf
    10 years ago

All seeds gone? I was afraid to start up seeds but I did last week and they are sprouting now! Any chance you have a couple left?
    Thank you.

Mima

This post was edited by SagoLover on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 2:20

• bobthewizard
    10 years ago

Hi... I know a bunch of seeds have already gone out, but I was hoping there might be a few left... I've got one seed sprouting from a few that I bought, and I'm anxious to try any others that might be available. So, if you have extra seeds that you're willing to share with me, let me know.

Thanks ~Bob

• mimalf
    10 years ago

My seeds are sprouting and I am so excited to see them more every day! I would love to try a couple different seeds. :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

One of my Star of Siam seed pods has rotted. I'm not sure what happened but after it was cracked I pried it open and the second I saw white wormies (kind of look like maggots) I freaked out and tossed the whole thing in the trash! I'm still freaked out now.

I have another seed pod growing on there but I am not sure how to ensure that it doesn't happen again! That was sooo GROSS! I need to get the image out of my head or I'll toss my dinner!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

OMG, I know what you feel, I am easily and deeply grossed out by those thingies too! I am so sorry this happened to your seed pod!

Mima

10 years ago

Got mine today! Thanks Barbra. they will be planted tonight!

Mike

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Yep, got mine, too. Thanks, Barbra! So excited to see them grow.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Got my seed also! Thanks Barbra! :)

Mark

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to post what plumeria were on either side of the madi gras seed pod. To the right was Wildfire, to the left was Makaha Sunn, I didn't see Wildfire bloomed last year, but I'm not there all the time. Makaha Sunn, was blooming a lot. The only other plumeria in that flowerbed was Magnum Opus, it was next to Makaha Sunn to the left. I think some of you will get spectacular blooms from these parents. Good luck, Barbra

10 years ago

Well I decided to go the paper towel route since I was in Houston for a few days. Just about a week and they fired right up. I was able to plant 6 Mardi gras seeds and 5 white pinwheel seeds. once they get above the soil I'll mail them to Emily so I can see blooms next summer LOL. Thanks again Barbra
    Mike

• beachplant
    10 years ago

It will be exciting to see all the blooms in the future.
    Good luck everyone.
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

It will be exciting to see all the blooms in the future.
    Good luck everyone.
    Tally HO!