SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Mid September 2012 Pics of My yard

tropicalzone7
11 years ago

Summer is definitely over now with days now comfortable. For me the biggest sign of fall in my yard has been the longer shadows. Parts of the yard that would be in full sun up to 12pm are now shaded all day long. The sun is only about as high now as it would be in early April, fortunately temperatures are still milder than that!

Here are some pics of things around the yard. Hopefully we still have a solid 8 weeks of growing season left to go!

Here's some pics of the plants around the pool area...

The elephant ear is now about 8 feet tall. Its hard to believe it's just an ordinary elephant ear especially since NYC soil isnt really known to be all that great

Allamanda blooms are getting noticeably smaller. Anyone overwinter this one indoors?

Hibiscus blooming well

My largest plumeria is also blooming well. I will prune it back BIG time next spring because it's very difficult to actually see any blooms when they are 12 feet above the ground.

The Alocasia is not going to be a lot of fun to dig up this fall, but it sure has done beautifully. I hope it does well next summer too. The ginger is better than ever also with 5 bloom heads at the moment and plenty of time left to get some nice blooms!

Tillandsia bloom. Usually the blooms open fast, but this one has been showing for a week and a half and it's still not fully emergest yet. Probably will look nice by this time next week. Any idea on the species?

After 3 years of bad timing, my pretty princess plumeria has finally bloomed outdoors. 2 winters ago it bloomed nicely by a sunny window indoors, but the winter before that the inflorescence fell apart indoors long before blooming.

Livistonia hidden under lots of foliage. It will look really nice around November after all the big tropicals are dug up for the winter.

Trachy getting bigger every year, but still unimpressive compared to the beautiful trachys that you all have! It's about 4 feet tall now.

The passion vine almost seems to bloom better in cooler weather.

Got this Euc in late July/ Early August. It has tripled in size. I think it's E. cinera and Im not sure if I will put it in the ground or not.

The Rubber tree got a massive pruning so it looks a little bare right now. The philodendron xandu is going to need a much bigger pot next spring. It made an aireal root that's over 6 feet long! Anyone know how they overwinter indoors. Philodendron selloum usually loses many of it's leaves indoors and makes a quick recovery every spring.

The backyard as a whole

The Bougainvillea had a lot of leaf growth, but few blooms. Its in a really sunny spot and has seen plenty of drought stress, I guess it is taking a break from blooming this year and Im hoping for many blooms next summer!

I got the ti plant as a 1 foot tall sick off of ebay and it has grown a lot since. I like the form of the leaves, a lot of the ti plants they sell locally are more dwarfed in form.

African violet in full shade (also gets no overhead mositure from the rain) and is loving the fall weather. It didnt bloom during the summertime because of the heat, but it has plenty of blooms now!

Some ginger bloomheads

Here are some of the plants in the front yard

The Dragon wing begonias will be blooming well into fall. They are one of my favorite annuals since the leaves are large and the blooms almost seem like they will never stop. They are kind of hard to find at local nursuries some years, but there were plenty this year!

The crape myrtles are slowing down with their blooming, but still have some blooms left.

Sabal Minor did really well this summer, its a fast grower compared to other minors.

One of my favorite gingers and most reliable bloomers, my spiral ginger.

View of the plants in the front yard from above

Hoya bloom

Stone crops blooming really early this year

Another pic of the sprial ginger

Here's another big flower head coming up on the spiral ginger

Geraniums liking the more comfortable weather

Brugmansias also seem to bloom best in this weather

Canna blooms

Not sure what to do with the alphina ginger. I think I will dig as much up as possible and hope for the best!

My Camellias are all doing well. The Autumn blooming one (closest to the front) should be blooming in a month. Anyone have the "Long Island Pink" cultivator and know the usual blooming time?

Majesty palm doing well after a kind of rough start.

Nighttime pics of the front yard plants

Plumeria at night

Thanks for looking! I hope this fall is a good one. Nothing is better for the plants then some 80s in October!

Summer is definitely over now with days now comfortable. For me the biggest sign of fall in my yard has been the longer shadows. Parts of the yard that would be in full sun up to 12pm are now shaded all day long. The sun is only about as high now as it would be in early April, fortunately temperatures are still milder than that!

Here are some pics of things around the yard. Hopefully we still have a solid 8 weeks of growing season left to go!

Here's some pics of the plants around the pool area...

The elephant ear is now about 8 feet tall. Its hard to believe it's just an ordinary elephant ear especially since NYC soil isnt really known to be all that great

Allamanda blooms are getting noticeably smaller. Anyone overwinter this one indoors?

Hibiscus blooming well

My largest plumeria is also blooming well. I will prune it back BIG time next spring because it's very difficult to actually see any blooms when they are 12 feet above the ground.

The Alocasia is not going to be a lot of fun to dig up this fall, but it sure has done beautifully. I hope it does well next summer too. The ginger is better than ever also with 5 bloom heads at the moment and plenty of time left to get some nice blooms!

Tillandsia bloom. Usually the blooms open fast, but this one has been showing for a week and a half and it's still not fully emergest yet. Probably will look nice by this time next week. Any idea on the species?

After 3 years of bad timing, my pretty princess plumeria has finally bloomed outdoors. 2 winters ago it bloomed nicely by a sunny window indoors, but the winter before that the inflorescence fell apart indoors long before blooming.

Livistonia hidden under lots of foliage. It will look really nice around November after all the big tropicals are dug up for the winter.

Trachy getting bigger every year, but still unimpressive compared to the beautiful trachys that you all have! It's about 4 feet tall now.

The passion vine almost seems to bloom better in cooler weather.

Got this Euc in late July/ Early August. It has tripled in size. I think it's E. cinera and Im not sure if I will put it in the ground or not.

The Rubber tree got a massive pruning so it looks a little bare right now. The philodendron xandu is going to need a much bigger pot next spring. It made an aireal root that's over 6 feet long! Anyone know how they overwinter indoors. Philodendron selloum usually loses many of it's leaves indoors and makes a quick recovery every spring.

The backyard as a whole

The Bougainvillea had a lot of leaf growth, but few blooms. Its in a really sunny spot and has seen plenty of drought stress, I guess it is taking a break from blooming this year and Im hoping for many blooms next summer!

I got the ti plant as a 1 foot tall sick off of ebay and it has grown a lot since. I like the form of the leaves, a lot of the ti plants they sell locally are more dwarfed in form.

African violet in full shade (also gets no overhead mositure from the rain) and is loving the fall weather. It didnt bloom during the summertime because of the heat, but it has plenty of blooms now!

Some ginger bloomheads

Here are some of the plants in the front yard

The Dragon wing begonias will be blooming well into fall. They are one of my favorite annuals since the leaves are large and the blooms almost seem like they will never stop. They are kind of hard to find at local nursuries some years, but there were plenty this year!

The crape myrtles are slowing down with their blooming, but still have some blooms left.

Sabal Minor did really well this summer, its a fast grower compared to other minors.

One of my favorite gingers and most reliable bloomers, my spiral ginger.

View of the plants in the front yard from above

Hoya bloom

Stone crops blooming really early this year

Another pic of the sprial ginger

Here's another big flower head coming up on the spiral ginger

Geraniums liking the more comfortable weather

Brugmansias also seem to bloom best in this weather

Canna blooms

Not sure what to do with the alphina ginger. I think I will dig as much up as possible and hope for the best!

My Camellias are all doing well. The Autumn blooming one (closest to the front) should be blooming in a month. Anyone have the "Long Island Pink" cultivator and know the usual blooming time?

Majesty palm doing well after a kind of rough start.

Nighttime pics of the front yard plants

Plumeria at night

Thanks for looking! I hope this fall is a good one. Nothing is better for the plants then some 80s in October!

-Alex

Comments (17)