SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late June 2012, First Day of Summer pics around the yard

tropicalzone7
11 years ago

Things are finally starting to grow well, but some plants have a little ways to go before they are nice.

My big problem is that we have had a lack of good growing weather. Today was very hot getting up to 101.2F in my yard with a 117F heat index, which I believe is too hot for most plants to grow well. Other days this month have been only in the 70s which I think is a little too cool for plants like Bananas to have a lot of good growth. Average temperatures would really be best for the tropicals this time of the year.

Here are some pics!

Hollyhocks may not be tropical, but it might be one of my favorite flowering plants in the yard. Someone gave me seeds last year and didn't know what the plant was so I had no idea what I was growing until I got an ID from you all last spring. First year it grows very very little, second year it grows fast and blooms (its a biennial). Right now its about as tall as I am.

Pool Plants

Philodendron

Spindle palm put out 2 fronds this year, 1 indoors, 1 outdoors.

Confederate Jasmine

Mediterranean fan palm and oleander

Young Trachy, butterfly ginger, and cannas

Front of the house

Madagascar Palm finally flushing!

Silver lady tree fern

Elephant ear getting big

Begonia survived the winter in the ground and is doing really well now!

Purple hearts underneath my banana and alocasia

This purple heart survived the winter

Coconut palms

Butia and Gardenia

Some oleander blooms. This is it's 4th summer in the ground

Some plants in a bed in the front yard. My kopper king hibiscus and Zuni crape myrtle are in this pic. Both should be blooming soon, the crape is usually a late bloomer compared to others locally (some are already in bloom locally).

This ice plant seems to bloom the most in early spring, but it has scattered blooms all summer long

Aireal view of the front yard plants including my Ensete, foxtail, sabal minor, palm, brugmansia, Musa Saba, and spiral ginger to name a few

Close up of the Med fan palm, looking pretty much the same

Sabal and ensete looking pretty much the same also.

Paparus in bloom, but not really growing tremendously fast.

My fig has a ton of fruit on it now, should be ready to eat soon, but the first full crop wont be ready until about late July/early August the earlilest I think.

Moon vine is about 5 weeks old now from germination. Its a pretty fast grower. It grew about 2 inches just today!

Mandevilla seed pods

Im not too crazy about flowering annuals, but I do usually add a few for a little color and the geraniums have done really well. I just gave them a little bit of blooming fertlizer and I think that they are also blooming well because of the lack of heat this month (excluding today).

Thats it for now! Nothing has grown too much since my last update, just a few things going in bloom.

Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES