SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late June 2011 pics of my yard (part 1)

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

Right now my deck is being painted so I am only able to take pictures of the plants in my front yard. I will post pictures of the entire backyard on Tuesday or Wednesday when the deck is finished. In case your wondering where all my potted plants are staying while the deck is being painted, I am keeping the plants in the pool area. I took a few pictures of those plants as well, but I have to say, it was not easy getting around the pool since my plants took up almost every inch of room possible!

My Sabal Minor is flowering! Its the first of my cold hardy palms to make a bloom.

My first banana to flower EVER! Its my Musa Velutina and I am already seeing some little bananas forming in the flower. Here is a pic of the bloom from last night

I tried to focus on the actual bananas in this pic, but no luck!

Musa Velutina pup

Hen and Chick plant is in bloom

This is my tallest plumeria. This is not its permenant spot, its just there until the deck is finished early next week.

My youngest coconut (from Hawaii last August). This is not its permenant spot, it will be moved to its permement spot when the deck is done.

My Sphaghetti Squash, mandevillas, and fig tree

I can taste the figs already!

Double Peach Hibiscus

Butia that has been in the ground for 3 years.

My Frostproof gardenia survived its first winter and is about to put on a show of blooms!

My Bougainvillea is a bit bare this year, but it is flowering more than ever before!

They are such easy plants. Mine was a twig 3 years ago and it has seen lots of neglect since!

Its still growing new leaves and in a few weeks it should be fuller

Musa saba in the front and the Basjoos in the background

Musa Saba, Red Cordy, sweet potato vines, Brugmansia, Musa basjoo, Med fan palm, Plumeria Pudica, and Plumeria Rubra no ID, Spiral Ginger, and Wandering Jew vines are all in this pic

My Oleander and Meditteranean fan palm survived their first winter and are growing very well!

My Spiral ginger is making lots of pups

New Frostproof Gardenia with a Newly planted Pindo palm. I have some cannas coming up as well

Oleander blooms

Saw Palmetto

Tai Monarch Ginger. I would love some blooms by fall!

Trunk of what I believe is a Solitare Palm

This Windmill palm only had a garbage bin over it this past winter when it rained or snowed. It was not given any other protection and it saw some pretty brutal temperatures (lowest temp was somewhere around 5F and 7F). Its growing well.

I finally found an annual that grows well in this long pot

Orchid mounted on the tree for the summer

Staghorn fern is growing slowly, but well

Gazeboo plants

Plumeria Divine (not in its permenant spot). Its making a flower! I felt so bad because the stupid hose broke off a huge branch of this plumeria. But that broken branch is now trying to root. We will see!

It should be blooming in 2 weeks (about 2 weeks later than last year).

My inground plants by the pool. The Cannas are growing very slowly, but they will eventually grow behind the plants you see in this picture giving a lush tropical look. The large banana plant in the pic is a Java Blue (or Ice Cream banana as it is often called). I doubt it will bloom this summer, but I would like it to get to a nice size.

I also have some butterfly ginger growing there and lots of other plants as well.

From LEFT to RIGHT.... Small hosta, Windmill palm (3 years in the ground),Cardinal Vine, Papaya, Livistonia (one year in the ground), Elephant ear, and Thai Black Banana (and a little bit of my other Windmill palm and a Canna)

Close up on my papaya. I wish I gave it a bit more sun, but it gets sun from 9am to 4pm which is a lot of sun. Its getting pretty big fast!

My Pixie lily is blooming much later this year

Variegated Sea Hibiscus. Its growing fast!

My oldest Coconut palm (3rd summer). Its making adult fronds now!

White Mandevillea

I store this philodendron in my unheated garage. It lost its leaves this winter (from the lack of sunlight), but it regrew them all very fast!

All the tropicals in the front yard

I have even more pics to upload. I think I might make a new message for the rest of the pics because I dont want anyones computer to crash, lol.

Thanks for Looking!

-Alex

Comments (29)